UNMS on QNAP container station...newbie here please be gentle.

Hello all.

Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes....

I have a QNAP TS-253A....installed the container station and created a Linux Docker container (Ubuntu 16.04).  In the terminal I pasted the install script per the UNMS installation guide page.  

I keep getting an error where it terminates with code 126.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 990
Solutions: 229

Re: UNMS on QNAP container station...newbie here please be gentle.

So you're trying to install UNMS (inside docker) inside a Ubuntu 16.04 docker container?
===================================================
We all work for KUDOs here.
Thx

I take it from how you worded your reply, that's not the way to go. I'd appreciate some advice as to a better solution. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1325
Solutions: 260

@Yarga  Hello Brian. I would like to encourage you to check my older comment about installing UNMS on unsupported platforms. You may find useful info there.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Thanks, I'll check it out....

Highlighted

Hey there.  Really appreciate your lead but there is simply NOTHING out there that has answered my specific question.  I love your products but it is frustrating I can't seem to get an UNMS install going.....

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1325
Solutions: 260

@Yarga  Hello Brian. I understand your frustration and I would like to help. Unfortunately, I can only do so if you are installing UNMS on an officially supported platform. Please note that you are running a client version of Ubuntu 16.04 for QNAP which sadly is not supported at this time. If you would consider installing UNMS on a classic Ubuntu 16.04 platform (either directly on an HW, in the supported virtual machine like KVM, or in a cloud) I would be happy to help you deal with any possible problems. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Thanks....I totally understand....and if I give up on the docker approach I will consider a VM......thanks!

Hey there. Me again. 

Ok got it working!  

However, the discovery service in UNMS sees my edgerouter (and I have pasted my key into the system of the edgeroutet) but the attempts to connect with the edgerouter always times out. 

I assume this is a port issue?  Appreciate any hints.  

Kudos: 20
Solutions: 1

@yarga did you get it running using a container or VM?  Container should work but working with the unms ws port can trick you up.  In this post, https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UCK-G2-and-UCK-G2-PLUS-Early/UNMS-on-Cloud-Key-Gen2/m-p/2487319#M411 I talk about how I got it working on the Unifi Cloudkey running an ARM processor.  The QNAP is x86 so you it should be a bit easier.  

@oznu has done the community a wonderful service by containerizing UNMS here https://github.com/oznu/docker-unms.  If you don't expose the container directly onto your subnet, then it is likely port mapping.  The QNAP is probably using port 443 and the container defaults to 443 so you need to use an alternative port and also tell UNMS that you are using a mapped port for both HTTPS and WS (websocket which is what UNMS uses for communication). 

-p 8443:443
-e PUBLIC_HTTPS_PORT=8443
-e PUBLIC_WS_PORT=8443

If you get into a pinch, PM me as I have a QNAP device showing up on Sunday and I can run a quick test against it.

Thanks....I did get the onzu docker container to work.  You have to manually designate the 443 port on the device side (in the system tab under the UNMS setting) but once you do it seems to work well.  

One last question....where do you enter the congifuration data you put in your reply?  on the docker side or the rotuer side?

For what's worth, using the onzu Docker that is available from the Community Applications plugin for unRAID, UNMS works right away, no issues. It uses different ports automatically, was so simple.