Kudos: 2
Accepted Solution

What is the point of the "clients" field in UNMS?

I thought it would auto-generate from the LAN of the devices I have in my sites but it doesn't look like it's doing that. 

I can see the DHCP leases of the devices when I log in but can't see them in the client section. Is this what the client section is intended for? 

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1392
Solutions: 272

Re: What is the point of the "clients" field in UNMS?

@JayEshStooj  Hello Jay. The point of client/site structure in UNMS is just to organize your devices into some logical groups. It is not mandatory, you can have a single site or client and all devices attached to it if you wish so. Our general idea is that you can put your backbone devices into sites and CPE under clients, but as @theshephard described, there are other ways. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 104

I think it's of more use in the WISP market. For instance, you'd have a Site, let's just say a neighborhood, which would contain your device as the service provider, and the Clients would be your paying customers that have antennas on their houses.

As an MSP I don't really use it - I just have sites for each customer and their devices (CPE) attached to those sites. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@JayEshStooj  Hello Jay. The point of client/site structure in UNMS is just to organize your devices into some logical groups. It is not mandatory, you can have a single site or client and all devices attached to it if you wish so. Our general idea is that you can put your backbone devices into sites and CPE under clients, but as @theshephard described, there are other ways. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member
Kudos: 104

As an MSP, it would make more sense for this model to allow Sites to be children of Clients, vs. today where it's the opposite. We have clients with multiple offices in different cities, and each site has multiple devices. 

So Clients -> Sites -> Devices. 

I can only image the current structure of:

Sites->Clients->Devices

makes more sense for WISPs, but if there was a way for us to flip that relationship (cosmetically even), it would align the solution with our industry a bit better. 

Ubiquiti Employee

@theshephard  Hello Stephen. Thanks to the introduction of datalinks we will review the client/site structure drastically. I am preparing an article about it so please keep your eye on our help site.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Any update on this change?

Ubiquiti Employee

@novait-honcho  Hello David. Right now our plan is to improve the client/site structure in two steps. First, we will eliminate the need to specify a connection between a client and a site. Thanks to a complete knowledge of particular network topology, UNMS will be able to automatically connect a client to the correct site. In the next step, we will eliminate the need to create clients manually. There will be a number of ways how to allow automatic creation of new clients. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 1

I would personally like there to be a many to many relationship (gasp!) between clients, devices & sites.

Example, a device could be visible in two sites as a boudary device between them. A customer could receive services via multiple sites and/or devices. Sites could/should have relations with one another be it child/parent, pier-to-pier, or some other relationship (one company I'm working with has 25 sites that are presently set up hub & spoke with 3 of the sites as hubs). 

So, as far as I'm concerned, it's not so much a matter of "what's the best choice of how to arrange sites & customers" since no one case will satisfy the masses. So, it really comes down to "let the relationship between sites, devices & customers be as dynamic and fluid as the MSPs situation dicates"

Just my 2 cents... and humble request.

Ubiquiti Employee

@chaydock  Hello Craig. Thank you very much for this in-deep feedback. I believe that by canceling the current mandatory connection of a client to a site we will create the flexibility you are proposing. You will be able to create any number of clients/sites in UNMS without connecting them directly. Instead, you will have data links between devices and those devices will be assigned to specific sites/clients thus creating links between them on a topological level. Please note that we are planning to introduce a system of customizable tags for sites/clients which will allow you to further virtually group them into any structure you wish without creating any hard mandatory links.  

Example, a device could be visible in two sites as a boundary device between them

This should be available right now. The boundary device is assigned to a specific site and it will be visible in the topology view of all surrounding sites.

A customer could receive services via multiple sites and/or devices.
I am not sure what do you mean here. Is it a fallback line? Also, please note that customer cannot receive service through a site and/or device. Internet data flow only through devices. Sites are just representation of the physical places where those devices are located in the real world. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 1

Greetings Radek!

As always, I love what UBNT has done so far and I look forward to your furture innovations.

Brown nozing asside though, I have to admit that about an hour after making the post I did stumble across how to set up two systems and indeed see the boudary device shared between them. Nobody is immune to the ID-10-T error! Man Happy

As for clarification about the customer receiving service from multiple sites... In most cases a "customer" is often throught of as a small residential consumer or perhaps a small business. However, small to mid-sized customers sometimes have one or more branch offices which although they are one customer would technically have mutltiple sites... some of which could be quite complex unto themselves. And, as rare as it is, even Joe Q Public customers can have two different locations.. their home and their airplane hangar for instance (been there, done that). So, for these types of customers, it would be nice to agregate the sites to one client and be able to bill and even send alert notifications to a client saying that they are experiencing a partial or complete service outage due to an issue with either their on-site equipment or perhaps even equipment upstream which delivers services to their site. Maybe I just missed where that's already available like I did with the boundary device?? Man Very Happy

Kudos: 2

Started to play around with the new clients and sites with the topology feature and I'm loving the potential of having visual represenation of the links etc along with traffic stats and usage.  However still trying to get my head around how Netflow fits into this... 

Netflow data is being collected, but for some reason I cannot define virtual interfaces for the "client" edgerouters when creating the client and site topology links (can only select the physical interfaces)  - can't work out if this is a bug or yet to be implemented feature?  Is the usage/Netflow data then an aggregate of all the IP interfaces (VIFs) on the edgerouter when set as a client on the device page or just any IP traffic over the physical interface that was defined?

Assume that at some point it will be possible to select virtual interfaces and have Netflow data shown for spesifc IP interfaces (Virtual or Physical) and assign these as client links (guess this is part of the UCRM merge)?

Or have I just missed something obvious?

Anyway, great work so far!  

Ubiquiti Employee

@Myscs   Hello Timothy. For now, UNMS do not have virtual interfaces in NetFlow.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

@chaydock  Hello Craig. 

And, as rare as it is, even Joe Q Public customers can have two different locations.. their home and their airplane hangar for instance (been there, done that). So, for these types of customers, it would be nice to aggregate the sites to one client...

You are correct about this. There are situations like this where the current system of clients/sites is not ideal. At this moment everything connected to a particular UCRM customer's service should be in one entity (UNMS client)  and at the same time, UNMS wants to have those devices placed in more UNMS clients since they are in different locations. We are aware of this situation and we are already searching for suitable solutions within the integration process. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

would be great if we can relate clients vs sites. Maybe would be a big of develop work, or maybe not.

Let's describe sites and clients:

Sites

A location which we have main devices to distribute network

Clients:

Indiviual person or company who can be assigned to many sites and locations.

The idea is turn easy the location of the devices accros de Google Map and finding clientes connected to a site. I can have one or more client on the same site or on another site. Maybe I am being too exigent, but would be a nice tool to manage all clients, sites and devices. 

So, when I select a Client I can see he is related to many places or adresses on a city, and can see all the devices attached to the clients and off course the locations. This is usefull for support, both field a remote monitoring.

Another annoying thing is that if I create a site without devices and assing a client on it the site shows Grey, meanwhile the site has clients. Should appear Green instead, I think. 

For me makes no sense using a site as a client.

Just some suggestions for future features

Thks

Ubiquiti Employee

Hello @jribeiro. Firstly, here is an article about sites and clients which may be helpful. You are correct about Sites but in UNMS clients are different from what you defined. This will be more clear after we integrate UNMS with UCRM and UNMS clients will be called Client sites. 
I can have one or more client on the same site or on another site.

In UNMS this is not possible. A Site is a network term independent on UCRM Clients. The link will exist between the UCRM Client and UNMS Client site. In case a customer (UCRM Client) would have several locations with the internet, it will be necessary to create the equivalent amount of Client sites in UNMS. If there is a locality where several UCRM clients are using the internet, then there will be several Client sites in UNMS with the same address and each Client site will be connected with its own UCRM Client. 

So, when I select a Client I can see he is related to many places or adresses on a city,

Yes, this will be possible once UNMS and UCRM are integrated. 
and can see all the devices attached to the clients and off course the locations.

Yes, this will be possible as well. You will start in the UCRM and select a Client. You will see that client's services. Each service will be paired with a Client site in UNMS and there will be devices attached to that Client site. 

Another annoying thing is that if I create a site without devices and assing a client on it the site shows Grey, meanwhile the site has clients. Should appear Green instead, I think.

The status of a site is derived from the status of its devices. If there are no devices attached directly to the site it has nothing to derive from and therefore it is neutral grey. The site is a locality and it has no own meaning without attached devices. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Highlighted

Hello @UBNT-Radek, on the new version of UNMS 0.13.3 it creates clients automatically which is good for us but it's not creating clients for old devices that are connected to UNMS. These devices are CPE devices(ONU's) connected to OLT.

Is there any way to make UNMS create clients for these devices? 

Ubiquiti Employee

@yiheyis  Hello Yiheyis. You can create those clients manually through the UNMS GUI, use the API or the Import feature.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png