When adding a device to UNMS, does the device keep its IP address or is the IP reset?

If I have a device with a static IP address and add it to UNMS, does the device keep its static IP address or is the device IP address reset to a default value?

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 6

Re: When adding a device to UNMS, does the device keep its IP address or is the IP reset?

Adding a new device to UNMS does not reset anything to default. It will continue to have the same configuration.

Re: When adding a device to UNMS, does the device keep its IP address or is the IP reset?

[ Edited ]

It appears I asked the wrong question, or at least asked about the wrong device.  I am being asked to research adding NANO devices to UNMS, whether it can be done, if the configurations change and to come up with a process for doing so.  I do not see "nano" anywhere in the supported devices graph.

Are "nano" devices supported by UNMS?  Are there caveats to using nano devices with UNMS? 

Solutions: 6

The configuration doesn't change at all. Configuration changes when adding a new device to a management system makes no sense to me. I have no WAPs in my UNMS instance but they don't restart as far as I'm aware. Anything else that I added did no require a restart. You can find more details here:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015772548-UNMS-The-UNMS-Key-and-the-Device-Registration-P...

If by 'Nano' you are referring to the NanoStation AC product line, yes it is supported by UNMS

What I have been handed is a "NanoBeam AC" Model NBE-5AC-19.  Since it is an "AirMAX" device I am guessing it is a UNMS supported device since AirMAX appears on the matrix of UNMS supported devices

My (new) employer has several Ubiquity devices from different families i.e.: the NanoBeam AC (NBE-5AC-19) device, a Prism Rocket 5AC (R5AC-PRISM), a UniFi AP AC Pro (UAP-AC-PRO) and a directional antenna PowerBeam AC Gen 2 (PBE-5AC-GEN2), several cameras and other ancillary devices, apparently they are planning to go heavy on Ubiquiti but are trying to get a handle on device management.

It looks like these devices are managed from 3 seperate management solutions.  Does Ubiquiti not have a single (ubiqiuitous) management solution that will manage all of their products like OpenView?

Highlighted
Solutions: 1

AirMax is supported by UNMS (and it's predecessor AirControl2)

This would include nanobeams etc.

BUT, NOT NanoHD's (which are the newest AP's from the UniFi line).

The camera systems are all UniFi-Video, oh but wait that is essentially dead as all the developers seem to be working on "Protect" which is the new camera server software (but currently only runs on Ubiquiti Hardware).

You are correct there is no "UniFied" product. 

Even on products like Switches that are the same on the inside with different (color) boxes (black vs silver) either have AirMax or UniFi firmware in them.

UniFi is geared towards "midsize" general business (Similar to Meraki from Cisco), but not as robust.

AirMax/EdgeRouters (with uCRM (more than one version has been released!!), UNMS, AirControl, CRMPoint) are geared towards WISPs.

The "throw out the baby with the bathwater" every few years is starting to get old.

I have a LOT of all of the above hardware and software deployed at my two WISP's as well as for the 30 or so businesses with 50+ employees that I support with a mix of Cisco and UBNT hardware.

I have UNMS, UCRM, UniFi, UniFi-Video all deployed in dozens of location with >1,000 pieces of UBNT hardware. I have over 600 Gen2 and Gen3 cameras alone.