.deb install (just like Unifi and Unifi-Video) without Docker. Maybe someday a repo

Submitted by -

I'd like to see a .deb install and maybe someday a repo just like Unifi and Unifi-Video have.

I am not an expert on Docker and its pros and cons but there seems to be a lot of call for this type of install, the forum thread had 51 replies before it was locked, and there is some activity on github as well.  With all the activity I am surprised it isn't in Feature Requests so I thought I would add it.

For my personal feelings, part of it is just resistance to change, I am used to using .debs and the repos for Unifi and Unifi-Video and just don't want to change.  I also don't understand Docker well enough to feel comfortable deploying it.  I spent some time reading up on it and it is really simple in a lot of ways but some of the concerns people have are quite complicated.

on ‎07-17-2017 04:21 AM

+1 for running without docker.

Docker is nice, but we like to just have a VM / VPS with the application without docker.

It always went nice with UniFi so this would also be very nice.

Also if you do not know docker, than this is an easier way of installing.

on ‎08-30-2017 06:53 PM

+ upvote 

on ‎09-08-2017 09:36 AM

+ .deb/.rpm 

++ managed repos

on ‎09-10-2017 11:45 AM
yes please +1
on ‎09-11-2017 08:34 AM

yes! Many of us already have Non-Docker Container systems (like Proxmox w/ LXC for instance)

While it is possible to run Docker inside a LXC container, the steps to make it actually work are a serious security issue.

(and for someone who says well just run it in KVM because Proxmox supports that. Stop and listen to yourself, run a VM to Run a container.)

Not to mention the networking on Docker. I cant even get to my whole network with the Docker install due to it binding ost fo the RFC1918 space as 3 /16's!

+1 for Non-Docker install!

on ‎10-02-2017 07:52 PM

+1 .deb/.rpm 

+1 managed repos

We've already got vSphere and ProxMox. We'd rather not have yet another environment to learn/manage/secure.

on ‎11-17-2017 02:48 AM

Exactly what @cog said, we already run vSphere or Proxmox, get rig of docker please

on ‎12-27-2017 09:27 AM

Another vote for a .deb package!

on ‎01-08-2018 05:50 PM

would be nice if someone from ubnt would chime in here and give us some guidance on this

on ‎01-08-2018 09:00 PM
@UBNT-Radek says that they are considering other options but they are a long ways off. Using Docker makes it easier for them to develop UNMS while it is still in beta and has lots of features that need to be worked on. https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UNMS-Beta/Is-this-an-airControl-replacement-Is-is-going-to-be/m-p/2194... I think this is a good philosophy, right now I would rather see them spend their time on improving UNMS as opposed to supporting a different install method. But when UNMS does get out of beta and the development pace slows I would like to see them spend some time setting it up as a .deb/repo like UniFi and UniFi-Video.