Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

ICMP blocked to UNMS in Azure

I've deployed UNMS in Azure, deployment was quite straightforward but one issue is that the ICMP protocol is not permitted through the Azure load balancer, so I was not able to do outage and latency monitoring. The solution was to create a firewall rule in the network security group for the inteface that allowed any any from the device IP address.

Source: CIDR Block

Source Address Range: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/32

Service: Custom

Protocol: Any

Port Range: 0-65535

Action: Allow

Not nice to have an any any rule, but at least it's locked to a /32 address. If the device IP address changes I will need to update the rule, so it would be painful for devices that get their IP via DHCP.

While ICMP is a simple and useful way of monitoring, it is blocked so often by network devices I think that another option should be made available, port pings to 443 would make the most sense to me.

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 274
Solutions: 64

Re: ICMP blocked to UNMS in Azure

@alsmith Hi Al, you can have custom server which is used for latency/outage/ping monitoring. You can change it for entire network in SETTINGS -> UNMS -> Ping Address or you can have custom value for each Device -> Settings -> UNMS -> Use Device Specific Settings -> Ping Address. UNMS server is only default value. You can use for example UBNT server ping.ubnt.com 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 274
Solutions: 64

@alsmith Hi Al, you can have custom server which is used for latency/outage/ping monitoring. You can change it for entire network in SETTINGS -> UNMS -> Ping Address or you can have custom value for each Device -> Settings -> UNMS -> Use Device Specific Settings -> Ping Address. UNMS server is only default value. You can use for example UBNT server ping.ubnt.com 

Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Thanks, I wasn't aware the ping address did not need to be related to the server address, that makes things a lot easier. I've got it pinging 8.8.8.8 as that's the primary DNS so seems a useful test.