Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Established Member
Kudos: 808
Solutions: 15

UNMS on 'Docker for Mac'

I understand UBNT is not officially supporting UNMS on Mac.

I believe 'Docker for Mac' is now available and has grown quite a fair bit with latest version 17.06.2 (stable).

Has anyone tried it out?

Is there instructions on how to install UNMS on 'Docker for Mac'?

Kudos: 2

Re: UNMS on 'Docker for Mac'

Without actually trying it, it looks like you might be able to install it with a couple prereq steps needed:

- Install Homebrew

- Install gettext via Homebrew to get a UNMS prereq of envsubst (it looks like an extra command or two needs to be done to properly "link" the Homebrew gettext into the system - ref. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23620827/envsubst-command-not-found-on-mac-os-x-10-8)

I think then you could grab the latest tarball, unzip it, and run the install-full script.  You might even be able to run the stub install script that Ubiquiti provides which downloads the latest tarball, unzips it, and runs the full installer for you.  If I read the full install script right, it'll let you install on an unsupported system, you just have to tell it you're ok with that.

Obviously, I would expect very little support, if any, from Ubiquiti if you try this.

Established Member
Kudos: 808
Solutions: 15

@kuoirad
Thanks for making an effort to point in the right direction. I will make an effort to research on the materials, esp on how to back out (undo HomeBrew and gettext).

Just one more question. Is there any documentation on the ports UNMS requires. Just want to make sure it does not conflict with other stuffs running on the macOS and complicate the trial.

It looks like it'll want to use common ports 80 and 443, but the install script will determine if those ports are available and ask you for alternatives if they're not.  There are probably some other ones needed for talking between UNMS and devices, but I don't know them off the top of my head - I think if you read through the "Welcome to UNMS Beta" thread you'll find discussion about them.

After doing a little poking around at seeing if I can get this to run on my test Mac at the office, be aware that you're going to have to go into the install-full.sh script and make a few changes here and there.  If that's not something you're comfortable with, you probably don't want to take this on at this time.

For what it's worth, I was able to get it running, but it took some tinkering.

unms.png

How much tinkering ?

Highlighted

I had to comment out a couple function calls around account creation and change a few variables dealing with the home directory and username.  I thought it was relatively straightforward, you just need to be comfortable digging around in a bash script and being in a *nix environment.

That's what I remember, at least.  There may be more I'm forgetting, I've already uninstalled/cleaned it all up.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@kuoirad

Are you able to share your install steps etc as I would love to get this up and running on a Mac Mini and point this back to my Edgemax kit. Thanks

Kudos: 63
Solutions: 7

While I find this discussion very interesting, I recommend to install Virtualbox and run Ubuntu Server inside.

its not much overhead, ensures easy single mouse klick updates, will have no port conflicts (use bridged networking).

Volker
5 Sites, 2x USG3P, US-16-150W, US-8-150W, 2x US-8-60W, UAP-AC-PRO, 5x UAP-AC-M, 2xLBE-5AC-23, Central site: Dual WAN (LB) with T-Hybrid (50m) and FBOX7490 (16m). Kudos accepted.

Wildcat_1 wrote:

@kuoirad

Are you able to share your install steps etc as I would love to get this up and running on a Mac Mini and point this back to my Edgemax kit. Thanks

Sorry, I completely forgot to get around to responding to this.  I don't remember the specifics of what I did - the (very) basics are in the preceeding posts.  I would follow v42's advice and throw together an Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox or the hypervisor of your choice - you'll have a better chance at support and help working in that than trying to hack it into Docker for Mac.

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

I wanted to test this out on my Mac so I created an all-in-one Docker image that will run UNMS without any other dependencies. I've tested it on Docker for Mac, Synology DSM, Ubuntu Server and Raspbian on a Raspberry Pi 3 and it works fine.

https://github.com/oznu/docker-unms

docker run \
  -p 80:8080 \
  -p 443:8443 \
  -v </path/to/config>:/config \
  oznu/unms:latest

I've been running this for a few days now and it's been stable for me with the container memory usage staying below 170MiB on average.

Of course if you decide to use this - don't expect any support from Ubiquiti.

Kudos: 63
Solutions: 7

[ Edited ]

This will be interesting to see when the next release comes out and you try an upgrade from within UNMS. Make sure you feed back to UBNT your modifications of the install scripts (if any) - to my knowledge other OS is not a priority yet, but any feedback is more than welcome as such experiences are first hand and a single script (or image) that works on all OS is clearly a goal - given that the platforms (OS+Docker) are good enough compatible.

@UBNT-Radek

Volker
5 Sites, 2x USG3P, US-16-150W, US-8-150W, 2x US-8-60W, UAP-AC-PRO, 5x UAP-AC-M, 2xLBE-5AC-23, Central site: Dual WAN (LB) with T-Hybrid (50m) and FBOX7490 (16m). Kudos accepted.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 34
Solutions: 8

@oznu Hello Oznu. Thank you for this excellent job. As @V42 mentioned the new 0.11.0 release is closing in and it brings quite substantial changes. If you find out that your solution is no longer working with 0.11.0 please do not hesitate to contact me and i will try my best to support you in making this work again.