Emerging Member
Kudos: 2

Re: Chicago

oh yeah, all the signs at the conference (and the web site and...) show 125 mbps, but Mike's lovely demo only showed what, 112 or so?

Are you complaining about 112 megs out of an $89 radio?
Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

"112 megs out of an $89 radio?"

I will take those #s any day!!
Ubnt Banana
Thanks
Eli
Established Member
Kudos: 583
Solutions: 6

Are you complaining about 112 megs out of an $89 radio?

No, but I'd like to hold any vendor's feet to the fire about what they advertise. If you advertise a 150 meg radio, I want to buy a 150 meg radio. Saying 100 meg would have been just as big of a leap, and made people more happy when it did more than advertised.
Previous Employee
Kudos: 23

oh yeah, all the signs at the conference (and the web site and...) show 125 mbps, but Mike's lovely demo only showed what, 112 or so?

Hello,
125 to 150Mbps is point to point applications, and/or heavily loaded PTMP AP. If you noticed, every test that I added more clients the throughput was going up. I can only get 11 user's (limited by space and shipping costs) in this portable setup, but steadily as the user count increases the aggregate throughput at the AP goes up.
Thanks,
MIke
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1085
Solutions: 11

Guys --

Kind of hard to find, but we have marketed PtMP at 100Mbps+ and PtP at 150+Mpbs with M series...

take a look here...

ubnt.com/products/basestation.php
Kudos: 443
Solutions: 3

Marketing is such a subject field. At this point, manufacturers don't really have a standard like stereo manufacturers so you have to read all the information.

For example, when Vivato first came out, they bragged 1000 users, 13 streams, 11Mbps. The reality was, 1000 users was how many MAC addresses they could store, you couldn't run more than 3 seperate channels simultaneously meaning 150 users (it had 11 or 13 radios in the base unit), and you couldn't use more than 30mw without causing cross-channel interference.

SkyPIlot came out saying their radios could do 20Mbps. The reality was, they only supported that under UDP, a standard that nobody else was using for marketing. Under TCP/IP, 10Mbps was the realistic throughput. You had to dig through the white papers to find that though. That wasn't anywhere in their documentation.

So, getting to this last issue, 150Mbps. My first reaction is that is a single computer to computer transfer rate. The reality is that's under load of multiple computers transferring data. That part caught me off guard also. Most of us will be using these radios to handle one household talking to a tower. Therefore the number is accurate in AP mode, but not really realistic for the client mode since not a lot of my clients have 11 computers in their house.

Probably the best thing to do is to clarify that in the brochure. However, I think there is still some tweaking in the firmware to do to improve single data transfer rates and optimization for video traffic in both TCP/IP and UDP. Firetide and Tropos have made some pretty impressive strides in that area as their products were out.
Established Member
Kudos: 583
Solutions: 6

Marketing is such a subject field. At this point, manufacturers don't really have a standard like stereo manufacturers so you have to read all the information.

For example, when Vivato first came out, they bragged 1000 users, 13 streams, 11Mbps. The reality was, 1000 users was how many MAC addresses they could store, you couldn't run more than 3 seperate channels simultaneously meaning 150 users (it had 11 or 13 radios in the base unit), and you couldn't use more than 30mw without causing cross-channel interference.

SkyPIlot came out saying their radios could do 20Mbps. The reality was, they only supported that under UDP, a standard that nobody else was using for marketing. Under TCP/IP, 10Mbps was the realistic throughput. You had to dig through the white papers to find that though. That wasn't anywhere in their documentation.

So, getting to this last issue, 150Mbps. My first reaction is that is a single computer to computer transfer rate. The reality is that's under load of multiple computers transferring data. That part caught me off guard also. Most of us will be using these radios to handle one household talking to a tower. Therefore the number is accurate in AP mode, but not really realistic for the client mode since not a lot of my clients have 11 computers in their house.

Probably the best thing to do is to clarify that in the brochure. However, I think there is still some tweaking in the firmware to do to improve single data transfer rates and optimization for video traffic in both TCP/IP and UDP. Firetide and Tropos have made some pretty impressive strides in that area as their products were out.

After Robert's post, I did notice the different numbers for different uses. According to Mike's demonstration, you can indeed get more than 100 megs in PtMP. Now I realize that 150 megs applied to PtP links.

First post here. Long time lurker for info, but after going to the Chicago AirMax conference, I figured it was time to register.

First, I loved the conference, and thought all of the products looked great. I am excited for everything to come out.

Also, I cannot believe you guys that complain about speeds a on a product which is not even completely developed in terms of software. I think that the speeds are really great at this price point and am not all disappointed.

Thanks to EVERYONE from Ubiquiti who made the trip to Chicago, nice job!
KD0MOF

Contributor:
Rabbit Ears
All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

**PART TIME HELP WANTED**

Southwest Suburbs of Chicagoland

Frankfort, Green Garden area. Zip code 60423, 60449

Ubiquiti or Mikrotik experience preferred.

XL Internet is rapidly expanding and looking for ambitious individuals who are interested in helping with installations of new Internet Services.

We are looking for part time installers for days, afternoons and/or weekends. Installers must be good with people, computers and are comfortable with installing dish antennas on rooftops.

If you, or someone you know, is looking for some extra income please respond to this post, send me a private message, or text me at 815.408.0392.

»www.XLinternetNow.com/

SuperUser
Kudos: 5243
Solutions: 78

[ Edited ]
Resurrecting a thread that is two years old is a certain way to not find anyone.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15

I agree, it would be rare to find someone who responds, but not impossible.  Maybe some of the people who posted on this thread checked the receive notifications box and were alerted by my post.  Maybe not.  

I did also post something similar in the wireless forum here.  Do you have any other suggestions for thread locations I should post in?

Maybe I should post something in the general discussion topic also. 

What do you think?

Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 5243
Solutions: 78

Why don't you try the business forum.