Add "Device disconnected for X minutes" and "Device reconnected" event notifications

Submitted by -

Problem:

I have devices at sites that, for whatever reason, don't get to send an inform to my controller in a timely manner sometimes. As this happens throughout the day the state of these devices changes to disconnected, which triggers a notification email for me. Usually within a minute I'll get another email notification saying that the device is now connected. To me, this is a false alarm because most likely the site or my controller just couldn't send/receive the inform, but the site didn't really lose Internet connectivity in any felt way.

Proposed solution:

• Under Settings > Notifications
    • AP/Gateway/Switch Events
      • Add an option called something like "AP disconnected for __ minutes" (same for Gateway and Switch)
        • Like it sounds, this event notification would be triggered only when an AP has been disconnected for the specified number of minutes
        • Also, automatically repeat this notification if the device is still disconnected another __ minutes, or have a check mark to the right to optioanlly enable this repeated notification
      • Add an option called something like "AP reconnected" (same for Gateway and Switch)
        • This would be a companion event notification to the above, it would only be triggered if a device has been reconnected after the above "disconnected for __ minutes" event occurs

This would reduce the clutter of disconnected/connected emails that can potentially be generated, and make notifications from the controller more useful. Note that these options would be different from the existing "connected/disconnected" events and would not replace those.

Kudo if you agree! Thanks!

--

Klint

Comments
by
on ‎12-13-2018 06:25 PM

Since my bullet points didn't get posted properly, here is my list again with dashes, for clarity:

- Under Settings > Notifications

-- AP/Gateway/Switch Events

--- Add an option called something like "AP disconnected for __ minutes" (same for Gateway and Switch)

---- Like it sounds, this event notification would be triggered only when an AP has been disconnected for the specified number of minutes

---- Also, automatically repeat this notification if the device is still disconnected another __ minutes, or have a check mark to the right to optioanlly enable this repeated notification

--- Add an option called something like "AP reconnected" (same for Gateway and Switch)

---- This would be a companion event notification to the above, it would only be triggered if a device has been reconnected after the above "disconnected for __ minutes" event occurs