Comments
by
‎10-15-2013 02:31 AM - edited ‎10-15-2013 02:32 AM

I definitely agree that this is a better solution than allowing tagging to VLAN 1 for an SSID.

However it may be a problem for discovery. Currently the AP's are presenting themselves on untagged LAN. If the management LAN is on another VLAN, the AP's won't be seen by the management server, unless the AP's present themselves on that VLAN.

Maybe it can be solved using DHCP option 43, but that will currently require the management server to be accessible (maybe routed) from untagged LAN as I see it.

by
on ‎10-15-2013 02:39 AM

Hadn't really given much thought to discovery, but the UniFi discovery process does provide a lot of flexibility in how you discover AP's. We use the DNS option accross VLANs and it works flawlessly.

http://wiki.ubnt.com/UniFi_FAQ#L3_.28Layer_3.29_Management

by
on ‎10-15-2013 03:53 AM

Some IP phones like are able to be taught via DHCP option to hop onto a specific VLAN at boot instead of staying on the untagged VLAN.

If UniFi were able to do that too, then moving management to a tagged VLAN would be doable, I gues that would not be possible via DNS (maybe some resource records)

by
on ‎10-15-2013 05:55 AM

I just tag such untagged traffic at my switch with a specific VLAN.

To me this looks the most easy method and avoids issues with discovery.

by
on ‎10-29-2013 05:38 AM

If both management VLAN and IP address could be given to the APs through DHCP, thus also allowing VLANned management LAN, it would be a very elegant solution.

by
on ‎10-29-2013 05:52 PM

VLAN via DHCP ??? How would it renew the IP address if DHCP server is on a other VLAN ? It just don't make sense. It's the AP job to tag the VLAN or it must be able to tag is on VLAN for management.

by
on ‎11-06-2013 03:27 PM

This would be a nice feature

by
on ‎11-10-2013 11:34 AM
This is a problem on Juniper gear. DHCP serving on native VLAN on a trunk port does not work on JunOS. It would be nice if the box by default the br0 had both the current untagged member and a default tagged member. -A
by
on ‎03-01-2014 11:31 AM
It would be very nice to be able to have management traffic tagged to a configurable vlan It would also be nice to be able to do this via a command line (ssh) or even a web interface
by
on ‎04-09-2014 08:36 AM

This is really needed; every smb-solution is providing this feature!