0 Kudos

Factory reset option on switch

Submitted by -

Sometimes an updates fails and then you need to factory reset an AP. I think that this is because it falls back to it's factory default. 

Sometimes you sent an AP to a site and it already has a configuration in it. Well it's still new out of the box. 

To make sure that no one needs to pull down the AP again when it hangs and preform more remote support on sites I think it would be very usefull to factory reset with an option on a switch. 

In the switch there is an option to restart. 

I think it would be very usefull to make an option over there as well to factory reset that device. 

Comments
by
on ‎03-12-2019 03:46 AM

In Unifi the opposite of ADOPT is FORGET

whenever you forget a device its configuration is wiped and it basically does a factory reset. 

by
on ‎03-12-2019 04:31 AM

I can't see how a switch would be able to factory reset an AP? It only has a network/PoE connection with it.

by
on ‎03-12-2019 05:31 AM

@EDPR  When an update goes wrong it says that you don't manage the device anymore. Sometimes it has a configuration of another system in it when we buy it from our retailer. Then we need to go physicly to the device it self to factory reset it.

@Hsd1965 You can create a magical package/packages that the switch can sent to the AP or UniFi PoE device to factory reset it.  I think you can also do something with the power to do this. 

by
on ‎03-12-2019 08:53 PM

I think I have quite a few Unifi AP's under my belt and I have yet to see the first AP having a configuration out of the box.   Perhaps you should look for another company to supply your Ubiquiti hardware.

You say you 'send' the AP to a site.  We do the same and before we do so, we unbox, asset-tag, upgrade firmware and adopt it to our hosted controller.   The moment it is connected to the customer we either move it to the right site inside our controller, or migrate it to the customer's own cloud key.

IMHO opening up alternative methods to reset APs opens up potential security issues.