Full unicode/emoji characters support in wireless network names

Submitted by -

Emoji are unicode emoticons available on all mobile operating systems and the latest versions of Apple and Microsoft operating systems. 

Emoji has delivered us many timeless classics such as: 

💩 - the pile of poop 

🍆 - the aubergine

🚮 - the trash

It would be great if the character restrictions in the controller were removed to allow for emoji characters to be inserted in to SSID names. 

Comments
by
on ‎08-08-2016 10:38 AM
Yes, please allow this. Allow us to shoot ourselves in the foot if we want to. I can think of many things that are actual problems that could be solved compared to this feature.
by
on ‎12-23-2016 01:47 AM

Unicode appears to be supported but just an ancient version of it.  It looks like version 1.1 is supported while the current version is 9.0.  So the request could be restated as, please upgrade unicode support from version 1.1 which came out in 1993 to the current version.

by
on ‎04-05-2017 04:35 PM
This would be awesome. A small decorative touch, but nonetheless an important one! 🎉
by
on ‎04-06-2017 02:13 AM

I really don't see the need for this. Also, there are a lot of WiFi clients out there that would have trouble connecting to a SSID that has emoji characters in its name.

by
on ‎04-06-2017 02:30 AM

At worst, the UTF-8 encoding will lead to ASCII-garble as a wifi name. Every client will still be able to join that wifi.

At best I can finally name my wifi the way I want without having to use an Apple AP.

by
on ‎04-06-2017 02:55 AM

The need for this is pretty obvious actually.  Not everyone speaks English and the rest of the world would like to be able to name their SSID in their native language. 

by
on ‎04-06-2017 03:32 AM

They are talking about emoji characters like smileys etc., not international characters.

by
on ‎04-06-2017 08:26 AM

Great idea, but please implement the multi color status lights with blink patern editor first.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 23.20.58.png

by
on ‎04-06-2017 09:17 AM

Emoji are nothing more than a special type of international character.  Both are defined under the unicode standard.  Unicode appears to be supported but just an ancient version of it.  It looks like version 1.1 is supported while the current version is 9.0.  So the request could be restated as, please upgrade unicode support from version 1.1 which came out in 1993 to the current version.  Doing so would allow most international languages as well as emoji.

by
on ‎06-28-2017 02:14 AM
Obviously there are other issues that take priority but this would be a great feature to help sell points to specific locations, for example, having an ice cream emoji in an ice cream parlour customer network. Nice little feature that may just push some customers over the edge to purchase.