Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

SMS password for Guest Portal

Submitted by -

Hi, it would be a nice feature, that guests could gain access to the guest portal by filling in mobile number and then they will get a sms with a one time access code.

Duplicates

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/SMS-guest-authentication/idi-p/861548
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/Third-party-Payment-and-SMS-gateway/idi-p/913992

Comments
by
on ‎01-16-2017 05:50 AM

Plzzzzzzz add this Hurray

by
on ‎01-26-2017 02:43 PM

any news?

we need sms-auth so much

by
on ‎01-26-2017 10:33 PM

Colleagues!
Tell me, what countries are you from? We almost done our SMS authorization service. Compatible with the UniFi Controller. But now it will work in Russia only and have russian interface just. We are exploring the interest in other countries.

The cost of sending a single SMS in Russia is $ 0,012. It is interesting for you?

by
on ‎01-26-2017 11:14 PM

Hi dronnx, how is working your service? can you show a demo video or etc.?

by
‎01-26-2017 11:48 PM - edited ‎01-26-2017 11:50 PM

I guess one roadblock is integrating with multiple SMS service(s), that support all countries in the world,

1) jjohnsson above suggested http://www.unwire.com/products/mobile-messaging/, but they seem to no longer offer that service. There in lies the problem of supporting 1 (or a small number) of SMS providers.

2) The solution has to be flexible enough that the admin implementing can customize it to suit  common services that offer this. For example ... we use a service that receives emails sent to xxxxx@<sms service company>.com. They take the body of the email and SMS it to xxxxx. But I am guessing that other service providers have different mechanisms to receive the SMS messages and destination phone numbers.

3) No point in UBNT implementing this with a 'USA' only SMS service, unless they have very cheap SMSs to all countries outside USA also.

4) And customizations added by the admin setting up the controller config will have to be preserved when backing-up /restoring a controller.

Here is how I would implement if I was UBNT.

I would have BOTH these available options:

OPTION 1 - Email to SMS provider

Local Country code: [+____]  (e.g. +1 for USA, +61 for Australia, etc)

Local Long Distance Access Code: [___] (e.g. 1 for USA, 0 for many other countries)

Email Address to send to: [_________]

Email Address to send from: [___________]

(Note ... to prevent spamming, SMS providers need some sort of authentication that in my case is checking the FROM address of the email requesting the SMS. The FROM address also tells them which account to bill for the sending of the SMS)

OPTION 2 - External Server

URL of External Server: [_______________] (eg. http://my_server.com/send_sms.php)

With Option 2, the Controller could POST to the URL an XML string that might look something like:

<UniFiController>

<id>[some sort of identifier unique to this controller</id>

<phone>[phone number as entered by customer]</phone>

<message>Some Text</message>

</UniFiController>

The send_sms.php script (written and maintained by the admin installing the system) would then do whatever was needed to send the SMS via that admin's favorite SMS provider.

by
on ‎01-27-2017 01:27 AM

BiGGER_TAURUS wrote:

Hi dronnx, how is working your service? can you show a demo video or etc.?

Yes, I'll put a link later. It'll be guest portal interface.

FreenetAntennas wrote:

I guess one roadblock is integrating with multiple SMS service(s), that support all countries in the world

I think so too. But at present we have clients only in Russia. And we use Russian SMS provider. Sending of SMS to other countries is very expensive for our customers and such functionality is excessively.

We think about scenario like this: if customer choose State of his residence then our service will choose provider of this country under the hood.

by
on ‎01-27-2017 02:14 AM

And I have to say sorry for my mistake. Here in Russia single authorization SMS costs $0,034, but not 0,012 - difficulties of translation)))

by
on ‎01-28-2017 04:20 AM
Сами написали небольшой скрипт php и подняли на той же машине с контроллером lamp server, подписались на тариф смс провайдера.Пару месяцев тем летом отработали, кое что ещё конечно надо доработать.
by
on ‎01-28-2017 04:23 AM
Открытый интернет в гостинице.* Но теперь собирает и хранит в мускуле телефоны авторизованных пользователей. Что и требует новый закон РФ об открытом доступе к сети.
by
2 weeks ago

Due to new information security laws in my country (Kazakhstan), we also need this feature.