0 Kudos

Speed Test usage indication / warning.

Submitted by - a month ago

I recently received a warning from my ISP that my Internet usage was quickly approaching my monthly cap.  Having not change anything I expected to cause an issue - I started to investigate.  I started by loading the Unifi dashboard and statistics and reviewing my usage for the current month and found my usage to be 500GB and my monthly Comcast cap is 1000GB.  Why the huge discrepancy?  A little research and I've found my perodic speed tests were enabled - and I can't say I'm not to blame - I could see myself enabling that - but not realizing that the usage was that high.  Given that the 1TB cap is pretty common with Comcast residential customers...

Therefore this "request / suggestion" has two parts. 

First, Why doesn't my firewall indicate usage for speed testing?  It's traffic clearly being passed thru the firewall, why isn't that listed?  It certainly would have made finding the source of the problem MUCH easier. 

Second - there should be some kind of warning taking into account the frequency of the test enable to warn - enabling this feature will cause xxxMB of monthly data usage.  If not a warning, perhaps a field that updates the expected data usage given the frequency selected.

Comments
by
a month ago

For reference---

Comcast is the largest cable provider in the country, and provides Internet to over 14 million customers in 39 states. According to PC Magazine they are also one of the fastest ISPs in the country, giving customers an average 18 Mbps connection.

Xfinity Internet customers in the following locations have the Terabyte Data Internet Usage Plan:

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • New Mexico
  • Western Ohio
  • Oregon
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Southwest Virginia
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin

Comcast customers who exceed the 1TB monthly cap must pay another $10 for each additional 50GB, or an extra $50 every month for unlimited data.

by
a month ago - last edited a month ago

And given that the absolute minimum data usage per month to enable this feature is ~175GB, and the maximum of ~840GB it's easy to see how this feature could end up costing some people some money.