Unifi Controller Virtual Appliance

Submitted by -

We getting more feedback from Enterprise that Asking for Virtual Appliance Instead of just a windows installer.

VMware and/Or HyperV Virtual appliances would be great.

Any feedback anyone?

Comments
by
on ‎06-07-2018 06:02 AM

I 1000% agree and wish they would.  However,  Ubiquiti is a hardware company and virtual appliances dont make them $.

note,  inplace of paying for a USG pro4,  I would happily pay the same price for a license key to run my own,   Companies like Kemp "know" if you move your VM around it is de-activates the key and you have to call in and get a new one (stops people from buying one key and giving it away)

so +1 for me,  I would love one.

by
on ‎06-07-2018 06:02 PM

Hi Alex,

I don't see a major issue of adding a Linux OS with the controller application.

Ubiquiti spent the time to do the Windows Service, not a big job to do the virtual Appliance on it as well.

I am doing more and more and bigger and bigger installations and the Enterprise IT Managers are the ones hammering me with these requests.

My job to relay this back to Ubiquiti and community and rally the troops to get this done Man Happy

Anyway, let's see f we get a formal answer from Ubiquiti Team and maybe a roadmap to do it.

Better than sitting on My hands doing nothing and saying nothing.

Thanks

PS, did you see my other feedback posts? you may want to comment.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/Unifi-Controller-Proxy-Support/idi-p/2378774

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/Controller-Have-ability-to-Dynamically-Manage-R...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/UFiber-GPON-that-has-1-2-POE-Ports-to-Power-Acc...

by
on ‎06-08-2018 04:59 AM

whoops... I totally missread your post when I made my comment.  while you 100% said controller,  I read it as USG.  my fault.

I would love a virtual USG where I can manage the power it has and just pay for a license.

a virtual controller/virtual appliance would be nice too.  (keeping my +1)

by
on ‎06-09-2018 11:16 AM
I am not shure i fully understand this ! And please dont get me wrong, i love seeing new features on ubnt ! That is my +1 for ! So Virtual Appliance is a virtual running os ( windows, linux ... ) on differend hardwares like intel, amd, arm etc.... with differend archs. UBNT has for every one of them a controller ! What keeps you from creating a applience on yourself ?
by
on ‎06-10-2018 02:01 AM

Nothing keeps me from creating one but time.

Would be nice if there was an appliance already setup on a Linux Distro no need for OS Mliecnes and all setup

The request for a Virtual Appliance Came from Enterprise IT Admin, as we had no server to install the Windows Controller.

We had to boot an old server and run the controller on it,

It is better to have a Linux OS with Controller installed and configured (except IP and customer specific settings).

by
on ‎06-10-2018 02:14 AM
Yes, makes sense !
by
on ‎06-20-2018 10:49 AM

kubernetes, docker, LXC containers would be really nice, with simple options for defining ports, ram usage, and ssh keys on startup

by
on ‎06-22-2018 06:10 AM

Just a a question, I currently run my controller in a XenServer pool. The install for linux and a ubnt controller install take 10 min. Simply adding the repo per there instructions is very straight forward. 

Are you asking for them to build the VM for your and import as a package? 

by
on ‎06-22-2018 01:53 PM

There are a number of well maintained docker images that allow you to set up a ‘virtual’ controller. I used it to imstall and run a dedicated controller on an intel based NAS (Synology) in about and hour. Check hub.dcker.com and search for unify.

by
on ‎07-16-2018 04:25 AM

I would really like to see an appliance either a docker image or something built off centos7 minimal would really nice.