Unifi hardware controler option (similar to NVR)

Submitted by -

It's good to have software based contoller but people should have option to buy pre- configured hardware with installed Unifi.

It's also good idea for HA  (one virtual and one hardware with switchover function)

It could looks like e UniFi NVR (ideally rackmount, with 2 eth).I think that it could be base on Debian 7 or Ubuntu 14 LTS.

I see many possibilities of use especially  in small deployments up to 100 AP(?):

@ it should act as AirControl serwer for other U products

@as SNMP collectror

@as log serwer

@to run bacups and send to safe storage

@to run maintance script (unifilab, mongo)

@to host guest portal in some chroot

BR

Comments
by
on ‎06-23-2014 04:29 PM

There are 3rd appliances who offer exactly that:

UniFi controller unit for UBIQUITI UniFi system (19" Rack)
UniFi controller unit for UBIQUITI UniFi system

Though I agree, an official product would be nice.

by
‎07-02-2014 06:07 PM - edited ‎07-02-2014 06:09 PM

I'd love to see something like an EdgeRouter Lite handling these tasks. Surely an ERL has enough CPU power for a small network (ie, <10 APs)

Even if there's some of the more complex java stuff in the UniFi controller that an ERL may not be able to handle, even if there was a UniFi Controller Lite that could maybe support a single site, allow you to adopt access points, set access point configurations and allow a guest network with payment gateway, that'd be a pretty sweet unit.

by
on ‎01-13-2015 02:11 PM

The Varia units are nice, but too expensive. I have been installing the UniFi controller on small ARM boards like the Hummingboard - dual-core 1ghz with 1GB, 16GB of storage, and using the Java 8 JDK for best performance. Total cost shipped with tax is $111. At the bulk prices UBNT would have access too, they could create an appliance for the same cost or less - and save us a ton of time + automatic software updating.

Also like the idea of using an ERL for the controller - excellent idea. Oracle did announce coming support for MIPS - but not sure if it is still going anywhere (https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/oracle_announces_plans_for_java)

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎06-28-2015 05:24 PM
Status changed to: Under Consideration

by
on ‎12-11-2016 07:41 AM

Should be set to "implemented".

by
on ‎10-25-2017 10:29 AM
This is clearly implemented. I have 5 of them...
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-03-2018 06:28 PM
Status changed to: Implemented