Emerging Member
Kudos: 4
Accepted Solution

Account types and permissions

I don't see anything in the Protect Interface to allow certain permissions to individual users. How would we set up a new user with view only permissions? 

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1316
Solutions: 396

Re: Account types and permissions

@regctx,

"View Only" users can now be added from the Android app.  The iOS app has this functionality in the beta version available in the Protect Beta forum.  Custom roles that allow for settings of individual cameras will be added in a future release.  Access via the web interface is coming soon as well.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

In the current release, all new user invites are Administrator level. We'll be expanding the user permissions features in a coming release to allow for granular control over specific cameras per user.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 2

Wish I would have know this prior, I wouldn't have deployed it yet. Now I am debating about pulling it back out and restoring everything to before. I have cameras that only certain people should see. Any idea of how soon this will be available?

Ubiquiti Employee

I don't have a timeframe available, but it's high on the list. That said, you could consider moving the cameras that need restricted access back to UFV3 in the meantime, then moving them back once the functionality is available in Protect. Both systems can run on the same network, but cameras can only be managed by one or the other.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Any progress on this feature? Still highly wanted out here! 

Your programmers do good work!

Ubiquiti Employee

@regctx,

"View Only" users can now be added from the Android app.  The iOS app has this functionality in the beta version available in the Protect Beta forum.  Custom roles that allow for settings of individual cameras will be added in a future release.  Access via the web interface is coming soon as well.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Took me a second to find it the other day also but go to users then the users name and click on roles. It doesn't look like a clickable item but it is. 

Kudos: 80
Solutions: 3

I swear...I was looking via the app...it wasn't there, I looked away, the app froze, I reloaded it...it was there.  WTF? All good.  Looking forward to setting up View Only of certain cameras and not others.

Kudos: 1

Does the beta sofware support sharing of certian cameras to certian users? Say I want to allow someone to view my golf course camera, but not the others?

Ubiquiti Employee

Not yet, but more granular control is planned for the future.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 3

I was kind of upset when i realised that Unifi Protect actually went a few steps back in funtionality, i mean it¨s kind of a basic functionality to be able to limit users to certain cameras. Atleast now we can remove admin rights from users. Another thing is to choose when recording should take place, now recording is 24h/day and harddrive fills up. This means that i can't choose to keep recordings for a specific amount of time because harddrive is full and overwrites in less than a week. Event created on motion is ofcourse good but anyway.

However i have solved the problem with access for specific users to specific cameras by a third party solution.
I have created Zones in my alarm system and add rtsp stream from cameras ,
Then i can give permissions to specific cameras/zones to specific users.
Ofcourse app for alarmsystem must be used to view cameras, but it works, atleast up to 20-25 cameras and >99 users.

So what security app do you use for that? I currently want to do something similar but didn’t want to use random apps that I don’t trust.

The app is Ajax and also requires Ajax Security system hardware to pick up rtsp stream,
Contact their US office for timeframe of US launch.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

guys restricting cameras to certain users is really a basic feature as far as i'm concerned.. i'm very surprised that unifi protect still does not have this. please fix this asap until then protect cannot be used in many of my installations planned and current.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

@ankh,

Custom user roles is available now with v1.6.0 and the latest mobile apps. Controls will be added to the web interface as well in a future release.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png