Kudos: 1

Audio drops on iOS when viewing Live Feed

Hey All, 

I've been testing UniFi Protect as a replacement for my Nest Cams. It's been working well except for one issue.... when viewing the live stream for an extended period of time, (20+ minutes), the audio starts to skip and then eventually drops out completely.

I can tell when the audio is skipping/dropped because the sound machine in the same room produces a constant noice that can be heard on the camera. This occurs with the microphone set to 100% sensitivity and 80% sensitivity.

The RTSP stream from the camera is rock solid (no audio/video drops), so I'm confident that the camera and WiFi connection are good.

Some details:

Camera: G3 Micro

UniFi App Version: 1.2.3 (47)

UniFi Controller Version: 1.6.1

Hardware: Apple iPad Mini 2

iOS Version: 12.1.3

Hardware: Apple iPhone XS

iOS Version: 12.1.4

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1374
Solutions: 419

Re: Audio drops on iOS when viewing Live Feed

@clarkeee,

Is it only the audio that is dropping? Do you see the video continue to play (does the on-video OSD timestamp continue to tick)?

To confirm, is this happening on both of your Apple devices? Does it only happen with the G3-Micro, no other cameras?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Hey @UBNT-Cody

Only the audio drops. The timestamp on the video continues to tick. Seems to happen when the baby isn't making any noise and the sound machine is the only sound. But the sound does not come back when the baby wakes up. 

I've seen it happen the most on the iPad Mini 2 (that device is our dedicated baby monitor). I've seen it happen a couple times on my iPhone XS as well. 

Unfortuantely, the G3 Micro is my only camera at this moment. Planning on buying some Flex cams.

Highlighted

A few more observations:

Just reporoduced the issue on my iPhone XS again. Over the course of an hour, the audio went from perfect, to choppy, to dropped completely. The video continued to stream perfectly. I was viewing the video in fullscreen, landscape mode.

Hey @UBNT-Cody 

I was able to get a video of the audio distortion that I'm seeing. The device playing the live feed is a brand new, out of the box iPad 6th generation running iOS 12.1.4.

Let me know if you need any other info to troubleshoot! :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aepdpima7qpjcl7/IMG_3005.MOV?dl=0