Emerging Member
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Cloud Key 2 Gen Plus - Different Mbps between cameras

I have the Cloud Key 2 Gen Plus running with 5 UVC-G3-AF. They are all running at a bitrate of 6000 and fps of 30. However, when looking in the controller to see the activity statistics for the cameras I can see that some cameras are transmitting pluss/minus 6-7 Mbps, while others are only transmitting at pluss/minus 1-2 Mbps.

When going in the Protect and chaning the bitrate and fps, the transmitting rate for the "low" transmitting cameras increase to the same level for a minute or so, and then drops.

Also, if I adjust the fps from 30 fps to 25 fps while the bitrate is at 6000 the slider jumps to 15 fps by it self... I almost seems like the settings are not stored correctly...

Anyone else experiencing this?

BR,
Mr. D

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1316
Solutions: 396

Re: Cloud Key 2 Gen Plus - Different Mbps between cameras

The bitrate dropping is expected. When you set the camera to 6000Kbps, you are configuring the maximum bitrate. The camera will adjust the average bitrate to the complexity of the scene, to a maximum of your configured bitrate.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

View solution in original post

All Replies

Could be a bad cable job - I had this happened and realized the 5&6 wires were reversed.

Emerging Member

I doubt its the cabeling, but I can check by moving the high Mbps camera to the location of the low Mbps camare as see if there is change.

This still does not explain the change in fps settings.... When chaning from 30 fps to 25 fsp, and pressing save, the fps moves to 15 all by it self... this must be a software bug?

BR,
Mr. D
Emerging Member

Swapped the cameras, and I can confirm it is NOT the cabeling.

So there must be something else going on...

BR,
Mr. D
Ubiquiti Employee

@Mr-D,

The actual bitrate generated by the camera is dependent on the complexity of the scene. If you enable the Adaptive Bitrate overlay for the camera, the actual video bitrate is shown as the R value at the far right. Make sure that you are checking the overlay on a recording, not on the live stream.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Cody 

There is certainly a bug in the software/my setup.

The cameras that is showing 6-7 mbps under the controller statistics show a bitrate on the overlay of a R of 5000-6000, the cameras that only have 1-2 mbps in the client statistics shows a R of 1000 -2000. (this on the recordings).

As mentioned when playing with the settings I have seen that the client statistics increase from 1-2 mbps to 6-7 mbps for a while before dropping. Looking at the recordings overlay, I can see that R increases from 1000-2000 to 5000-6000, but then after a while drops back to 1000-2000 R at the same time as the mbps drops under the statistics... i almost seems like the settings for the cameras does not get stored/or overwritten

All of my cameras have 6000 as bitrate and 30 fps as settings. When the drops happen dere is no change in the scene, the lighting are the same, and the camere has not changed position.

BR,
Mr. D
Emerging Member

After some further testing I see a trend to what is triggering the drop/change in bitrate.

I have been testing with a bedroom, where the scene is stable as well as the light conditions.

The starting point is bitrate R showing around 1300, even though the settings are 6000 bitrate and fps at 30. Everything else being the same, changing the bitrate from 6000 to 5800, then again chaning the bitrate to 6000 causes the R to increase from 1300 to 5800-6000, and it tends to stay this way until there is movment or a change in the lighting... this causes the bitrate to drop back to 1300 and stays at this rate. This even if the movment is gone, or/and if the lighting is restored to when the R was showing 5800-6000.

Just to add, the dropp also happens without movment or any kind of change in lighting etc.

BR,
Mr. D
Ubiquiti Employee

The bitrate dropping is expected. When you set the camera to 6000Kbps, you are configuring the maximum bitrate. The camera will adjust the average bitrate to the complexity of the scene, to a maximum of your configured bitrate.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Emerging Member

@UBNT-Cody 

Oki, thanks for clearing that up for me Man Happy

BR,
Mr. D