Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Cloud Key Gen 2 vs Gen 2 Plus

I plan to buy new Cloud Key Gen 2. I'm currently using many Nest products and I'm very happy with them. So I don't have any plan to change my Nest cameras with Unifi cameras.

The question is; If you will be planning a new network with all Unifi products such as Security Gateway Pro, 48 PoE Switch and Access Points (Nano HD x5) etc. with Cloud Key will you prefer. Cloud Key Gen 2 or Gen 2+.

Just for 20 USD more you can get extra 1MB of RAM and also 1 TB HDD. Either you never to plan use cameras why to buy normal Cloud Key Gen 2? Man Happy

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 222
Solutions: 77

Re: Cloud Key Gen 2 vs Gen 2 Plus

If you’re happy with the nest cameras, save the 20 bucks and put it towards the rack mount for the CloudKeys (if it ever appears).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 386
Solutions: 57

Welcome to the community!

I have bought the CK Gen 2. I don't have a use for the plus model to use the hard drive at all. That HDD is only for the NVR part so its pointless if you won't use it.
The Gen 2 doesn't have a spinning disk, so less point of failure.
Its a much smaller form factor as well.
It uses less power over all.
Its $20 cheaper but I don't think that small of a price difference really matters too much
The CK Gen 2's and pluses can hold the same amount of UniFi devices (50) so the RAM upgrade really doesn't matter.

If you are happy with your camera setup, don't change it. At least not right now.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 222
Solutions: 77

If you’re happy with the nest cameras, save the 20 bucks and put it towards the rack mount for the CloudKeys (if it ever appears).

Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 386
Solutions: 57

Welcome to the community!

I have bought the CK Gen 2. I don't have a use for the plus model to use the hard drive at all. That HDD is only for the NVR part so its pointless if you won't use it.
The Gen 2 doesn't have a spinning disk, so less point of failure.
Its a much smaller form factor as well.
It uses less power over all.
Its $20 cheaper but I don't think that small of a price difference really matters too much
The CK Gen 2's and pluses can hold the same amount of UniFi devices (50) so the RAM upgrade really doesn't matter.

If you are happy with your camera setup, don't change it. At least not right now.

Doies anyone know if the file system on the drive can be exported for other uses i.e. not for the Unifi cameras.

The drive could be useful for non-camera features or non Unifi cameras if its available as an NFS share.

Thanks

Kudos: 1

is there  a away to import a current config from existing cointroller and NVR?  -- and can you log into the unix command line prompt?

Established Member
Kudos: 514
Solutions: 46

@karlwachs wrote:

is there  a away to import a current config from existing cointroller and NVR?  -- and can you log into the unix command line prompt?

Correct, you can import the Unifi controller backup file from the CK interface or from the controller by self using the restore option. For the Protect, you can import a Unifi Video backup file using the "Import Controller Settings" option inside Protect. 

You can SSH to the CK like a regular linux CLI.