Kudos: 17

CloudKey Plus Camera limits for G4 Pro?

Looking for a Ubiquiti response here as the CloudKey Gen2 Plus is rated at "up to 20 cameras", however those specs were released prior to the 4K G4 Pro cameras being released, so given the resolution switch to 4k vs 1080, the data writes could be significantly higher putting more load on the unit due to the resolution change, do we have an official response on the maximum number of cameras recommended for the CloudKey Gen2 Plus?

I'm planning a new build and need to know what path I'm taking on the hardwre side.

Thanks much!

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10439
Solutions: 1618

Re: CloudKey Plus Camera limits for G4 Pro?

@brambo18 wrote:

I'm planning a new build and need to know what path I'm taking on the hardwre side.

AFAIK, the G4 is presently being limited due to lack of H265 support so it is not max'ing out its potential.

At present, the only supported hardware is the UCK-G2-Plus so building your own is not an option.  My guess is the second supported hardware will be the UAS-XG.

I suspect they will release other hardware later that has the G4 in mind.  Maybe they will eventually release a version of Protect that can be installed on DIY hardware but they only said they'll look into it, nothing more.

Kudos: 14

As I understand it, the current hw is supposed to handle up to 20 cameras, but not really clear what the practical real world limits are.

Right now, the choice would be to scale horizontally and use multiple CloudKey Plus units given, as you stated, no other hardware platform is available.

So I think the OP is asking for a advisory matrix showing based on the mix of cameras (or using only the G4 Pro?) what the revised recommendation might be max # of cameras per individual CloudKey Plus device?

For experimentation purposes, I have been pulling video streams from the CloudKey Plus into a software NVR (SecuritySpy on a Mac).  That would also provide a consolidation from multiple CloudKey's into a single "console" - but of course with added complexity (but I do gain more control over backups and redundant storage options).

So would be interesting to know what assumptions about virtual RTSP streams being pulled from the Cloudkey to another platform are assumed with the stated "Up to 20 cameras". 

I don't have any data, but I would be surprised if the CloudKey can handle recording  from 20 cameras and also exporting live streams from all them.

Established Member
Kudos: 317
Solutions: 36

@LLigetfa wrote:

@brambo18 wrote:

At present, the only supported hardware is the UCK-G2-Plus so building your own is not an option.  My guess is the second supported hardware will be the UAS-XG.

UFV 3.10.x does seem to support the G4-Pro, though I have only used it on the UAS-XG so far myself, not the NVR (and am now on to testing it with Protect on a UCK-G2-Plus.)

That said, it indeed does not seem to take full advantage of the 4K capabilities yet.

Controllers: UCK, UAS-XG, UCKG2, UCKG2+; Routers: USG-3P, USG-XG-8, ERL, ER-4, ER-6, EP-R6, ER-10X, ER-12; Switches: US-XG-6POE, USW-8, USW-8-60W, USW-8-150W, USW-16-150W, USW-24-L2-500W, USW-48-L2-500W, USW-24-AT-250W, USW-48-AT-500W, USW-16-XG, TS-5, TS-8, ES-10XP, NanoSwitch; APs: AC-LR, AC-HD, AC-SHD, AC-Pro, AC-IW-Pro, HD-IW, AC-Mesh, nanoHD; UNMS: 0.13.2; AirMax: IsoStationM5, AirCubeISP, AirCubeAC; Video: NVR, UAS-XG, UCKG2+, G3, G3-Dome, G3-Micro, G3-Pro, G3-Flex, G4-Pro; EtherMagic: EM-S, EM-EP; SolarBeam: SB-700-1;, SolarPoint; EoT: ULED-AT, ULED-AC, UDIM-AT, UDIM-AC; mFi: mPort, mFi-THS, mFi-CS, mFi-MPW, mPower-Pro, mPower-Mini
Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2671
Solutions: 174

We're still fine-tuning the camera limits when G4-PRO is included.

Until we have the more complete camera limit screens in the UI, the general rule is to assume that 1 G4-PRO camera is an equivalent load to 2 x G3 cameras. I run my all-4K CloudKey Gen2 Plus systems with 10 x G4-PRO cameras.

Kudos: 17

What’s the limiting factor, CPU? Memory? Disk I/O?  If we put an SSD in the CK2+ could we get 15 cameras running?

Any idea when we’ll see Protect on other hardware or a installer for DIY for some of these heavier camera needs?

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10439
Solutions: 1618

@brambo18 wrote:

Any idea when we’ll see Protect on other hardware or a installer for DIY for some of these heavier camera needs?

Installer for DIY is not on the roadmap at this time.  It's anyone's guess whether they come out with more capable hardware before or after they release Protect for the UAS-XG.  Ubiquiti will not provide release date estimates.

Viable redundant storage (RAID 1 mirror internal or external) would be very welcome.  I'm ok with Unifi hardware, maybe a box with a standard port for some kind for external storage box?

In parallel, a real option for backup of recorded video - local NAS and remote Cloud services options would go a long way to assuage concerns over historical footage and protection against theft/destruction of the NVR itself.  Even scriptable FTP/SFTP locally would be better than nothing.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the continuous writing/re-writing of a NVR application hits the edge conditions of SSD erase cycles and might actually not be good idea to use SSD in an NVR.

Is this BS or have a basis in production experience with other platforms?

Kudos: 44

I think biggest limit is 30FPS and 4K with H264.  I guess Safari will stay unsuported even though claims were made since G3 "We are working on fix and sd car storage is in works, Never happened".

I wish some Ai and recognition would be implemented. If Dahua can do it with their 3 year old 1080p camera why not ubnt.