Kudos: 32
Solutions: 3

Curiosity Question for CK Gen2+ Security

I am running three cameras on my CK Gne2+. It all works fine. I have a noob question - why can't I see the live camera image when my WAN is down? Today Comcast was out for some time and though I could log into both SDN and Protect I could not see the camera pictures live. I disconnected from the cloud just to be sure and still the progrtess bars on live screen go all the way and then stop at the last second before reaching 100% and no live pictre shows up. My internal network is working fine. I have a USG between service porovider and LAN. My conputer and the CK Gen2+ are connected to the smae switch where two cameras are connected while the third one is at another switch.

I just need to understand why this is happening and if this is something in my network that I can fix. I imagine I should be able to see the camera images locally regardless of the internet being down.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10397
Solutions: 1600

Re: Curiosity Question for CK Gen2+ Security

Are you connecting wiith a local PC or a mobile device?  AFAIK mobile devices cannot work using just a local connection.

[ Edited ]

@LLigetfa My iPad did not work so I fired up my trusty desktop hard wired to the same switch as the cameras and CK Gen2+. There has to be some technical reason somewhere or maybe there is some setting in my network that I have kluged up.

Established Member
Kudos: 261
Solutions: 43

Computers work locally right now, but the iOS / Android app’s don’t support local connections yet. This is so Ubiquiti can better test out thier cloud as that is the main resource they expect users using. 

Highlighted

I understand the handhelds perhaps but from my desktop I was not able to access the live views on the same subnet.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1261
Solutions: 379

@ASCHMB,

The mobile apps use WebRTC to broker the connection - long story short, when the app wants to connect, the app and NVR use a STUN server on the internet as a common known service to exchange a list of possible candidate IP addresses where each can be reached at. Each host will list their available known private LAN IPs and WAN IPs, and they will then try to connect to each other using that list (starting with private IPs). If the internet isn't available, neither can reach the STUN server to exchange those candidate lists.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

@UBNT-Cody - Thank you for that explanation. Makes sense. I was surprised that even being hyper local (same switch) I was not able to see the cameras live. Just philosophically does that make sense in case one has to monitor ca facility and the internet is out? Is the only recourse to unmanage the cameras and go independent? Would that work?
Established Member
Kudos: 261
Solutions: 43

I understood that Cody was ONLY talking about the mobile app's, and as such your computer should still work fine.

@raceboy62
@UBNT-Cody

But that was NOT MY experience. Sorry if I misunderstood. Maybe I am missing something in my setup. Though I can't imagine what because other that it is working.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1261
Solutions: 379

I'm referring to the mobile apps specifically. Local or not, you still need to define the L3 address (IP) of the NVR, which at this time can't be done with the mobile apps.

You can still connect to the NVR using the web interface and the local IP address if you don't have internet access.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Good to know. I will try it by disconnecting the internet and see what happens. Will let you know. Much appreciated. Thanks. I notice that on the tab in the web browser I am connecting to <local ip>7443/liveview. How will typing the IP in the browser bar be any different? Just thinking out aloud.