Kudos: 60
Solutions: 2

Direct access from app: when?

Would appreciate an update on the matter from ubiquiti. 

Kudos: 20

Re: Direct access from app: when?

[ Edited ]
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10694
Solutions: 1663

They would rather close the thread than answer it.

Yeah they seem to furiously moderate posts on this topic. Which I take to mean they don’t really intend to remove the cloud dependency for the apps. 

This would be a shame; Protect is a really good product otherwise, but cloud routing makes it a plain vanilla consumer product, in a very crowded space, where most competitors have significantly more advanced feature.

I am having a serious problem not being able to access Protect locally via the app and feel it is a severe downgrade from Unifi Video. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 35

It's simple:

As long as the App and E-Mail alerts don't work locally without Cloud Access constraint I will not use nor recommend Protect.

@AF360 wrote:

It's simple:

As long as the App and E-Mail alerts don't work locally without Cloud Access constraint I will not use nor recommend Protect.

App alerts (assuming push messaging) require cloud access by definition: your app's bundle id needs to be registered with either Apple or Google, and Protect would have to use their servers to push these events to the registered apps.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 235
Solutions: 35

[ Edited ]

That’s why I specifically wrote E-Mail-alerts and not App-Push!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1453
Solutions: 445

We moderate threads if the the conversation becomes counter productive or devolves into unnecessarily negative behavior or speculation that is not constructive and goes against our community terms of service. The community is here to assist fellow Ubiquiti enthusiasts and provide a place for everyone to share their skills and knowledge, while at the same time providing us with the necessary feedback to improve our products. When the conversation is suddenly no longer aligning to that purpose, we are forced to take action.

@ncsakany, we are aware that you and several others are very passionate about direct access for the mobile apps, but we do not provide estimates on releases as those estimates often change. As soon as I have information to provide as an update, I'll be happy to relay that update to the community and with any luck get the opportunity to point you towards a beta build of the apps so you can help us test the functionality.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Kudos: 249
Solutions: 5

i have just bought an additional cam to try protect on my new cloud key gen2+ and was very astonished that the app would not find the controller. upon searching the forum i found that protect does not work without cloud access and that the other thread with the suggestion that it will eventually come is over a year old. 

i may be wong, but this information is nowhere prominently stated. if you are so proud and confident about this you should mention everywhere protect is introduced: cloud only.

in my opinion it was allways a huge plus that the cloud feature is strictly optional for unifi and unifi video. yes it provides benefits. but not everybody needs them. and even if one gives ubiquiti the benefit of the doubth... there are enough new cloud base and clouid requiring software systems every day that take great libertys with data security and protection. and there are scenarios where cloud based acces is a complete no go. there is a reason vpn was invented....

as a software developer my self i can not follow the argument that it is more work to implement local access instead of cloud access. this is just plain wrong.

so as long as protect offers no non-cloud acces with the app it will not replace the existing unifi video setup and will not be recomendet.