Kudos: 5

IR LEDs in children's bedroom

Hello,

I am wondering what the opinions and best practices are regarding camera built-in IR illuminators in children's bedrooms.

I have a G3 Flex in my 9-month-olds bedroom and a G3 in my 3-year-old son's bedroom. Both a few meters from their beds.

I almost always switch off the IR when they are in bed, but I have no idea whether the low power IR source in the Unifi cams could actually be harmful. I have found a lot of conflicting info online. 

I would appreciate some reliable guidance.

Thank you

Kudos: 36
Solutions: 1

Re: IR LEDs in children's bedroom

[ Edited ]

IR is safe. I’ve been using such cameras in my kids bedroom for years. 

great, what do you base that opinion on?

IR is just below the visible spectrum, and the wavelength of the emission is large enough that it won’t interact with organic matter, such as ionizing risks associated with UV emissions. 

[ Edited ]

There is a lot of information online pertaining to eye damage from IR light. Take a look. I didn't find anything I felt was reliable or specific enough.
I think it's a question of intensity and exposure time.

UV is clearly much much worse, that's true.

btw - I expect that the IR light from these very low power LEDs is almost certainly harmless, but this is the kind of thing one would like to be absolutely certain about...

[ Edited ]

Well my kid doesn’t have vision problems after 8 years of nighttime surveillance so I guess it wasn’t harmful after all. 

We also vaccinated him and he didn’t turn autistic. 

Highlighted
Kudos: 277
Solutions: 19

@okenny wrote:
great, what do you base that opinion on?

When we looked at dedicated "baby cams" just about every single option available had IR illumination.

UCK-G2-PLUS | USG-3P | USW-24P-250 | USW-8P-150 | UAP-AC-LR | UAP-HD-IW | UVC-G3-AF | UVC-G3-PRO | UVC-G3-FLEX