Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 5
Accepted Solution

Is USG required for Protect and UniFi?

[ Edited ]

I'm building a Protect + UniFi WiFi system using the CKG2+

The dashboard is telling me I can't access network information (or similar message) because I don't have a USG.

Do I require a USG for this system to work, or can I install my own router/firewall, without losing functionality (as I planned) ?

I thought the USG's were being phased out or something, so I'm a Little unsure what to do.

It's my 1st proper UniFi system, so far it's going ok, I just didn't expect to have to include a USG, as I've never used one, and not 100% sure what they actually do. From what I gather, they're just a router/firewall yeah?

Cheers

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1298
Solutions: 158

Re: Is USG required for Protect and UniFi?

Yes the USG is just a router, it's not required. There will be certain settings and features in UniFi that won't be available, but nothing to fret about.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1298
Solutions: 158

Yes the USG is just a router, it's not required. There will be certain settings and features in UniFi that won't be available, but nothing to fret about.

Kudos: 33
Solutions: 13

Some information is collected from the USG, others from UniFi switches and rest from the UniFi APs. So if you want all the info you can get in the controller you will need to have all UniFi components. 

Kudos: 61
Solutions: 5

Cool, cool, thx guys

I guess the USG's are decent gear, and I guess that extra info from an in-house unit is handy, and makes sense.
Kudos: 1533
Solutions: 85

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1533
Solutions: 456

@lowlanda,

If you are interested in seeing an active (simulated) controller with USG, USWs and UniFi APs, take a look at https://demo.ui.com/

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide