Kudos: 94
Solutions: 3

Re: NVR and Unifi Protect on same network: Camera Adoption by CK2 problem...

BUG.

You guys have clearly experienced the same issue as I did.

The bug is futher evidenced by this scenario:

1. Un-manage a camera from UFV
  2. Perform a factory reset of the camera using the reset button (held for any length of reset level you want: 10, 20 or 30)
  3. Login to camera Web UI with the credentials ubnt/<previous UFV camera password>

See?  The old UFV password is still in there. This is why Protect cannot adopt the camera.

I invite anyone to try it, and please reply with results and both the version of UFV being run and the camera FW version.

Then do a factory reset from within the camera's Web UI, and that does clear the password and then the camera can be adopted by Protect.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10439
Solutions: 1618

@GreggC wrote:
  It does not reset the password that is used by UFV or Protect in managing the camera...

If there is (was?) a particular version of UFV that fails to reset the cam password, I am not aware of it.  I have been an alpha and beta tester for years and have countless times unmanaged cams and never have I seen it fail to reset the camera password.

Do keep in mind that for the NVR to reset the password, the NVR must be in total control of the camera.  I've seen where a camera in a bad state would not have its password reset but then that is or should be obvious since the NVR needs to have full control of the camera to reset the password.

I've also seen where people don't realize that the camera needs to be rebooted for the new password to take effect.

One more consideration is the order of operation.  If one resets the cam before unmanaging it, the NVR might try to remanage it before it is told to unmanage it.  This could leave the camera in an indeterminate state.

As for the reset button on the camera, I don't trust that to do a full factory reset and so have never tried that method.  The only way I know to do a full factory reset with the button is via TFTP recovery.

You have to log in to camera web ui under video server enter IP address Unfit protect save go back to UniFi protect click add and it should pop up

@LLigetfa wrote:

@GreggC wrote:
  It does not reset the password that is used by UFV or Protect in managing the camera...

If there is (was?) a particular version of UFV that fails to reset the cam password, I am not aware of it.  I have been an alpha and beta tester for years and have countless times unmanaged cams and never have I seen it fail to reset the camera password.

Do keep in mind that for the NVR to reset the password, the NVR must be in total control of the camera.  I've seen where a camera in a bad state would not have its password reset but then that is or should be obvious since the NVR needs to have full control of the camera to reset the password.

I've also seen where people don't realize that the camera needs to be rebooted for the new password to take effect.

One more consideration is the order of operation.  If one resets the cam before unmanaging it, the NVR might try to remanage it before it is told to unmanage it.  This could leave the camera in an indeterminate state.

As for the reset button on the camera, I don't trust that to do a full factory reset and so have never tried that method.  The only way I know to do a full factory reset with the button is via TFTP recovery.

@LLigetfa  Encouraging, and all good points.

I believe there was a problem, but it has been fixed. I just tried to duplicate but could not with the current sw/fw levels.  Will post details.

Note that in this latest testing, a reboot of the camera was never required following password changes (unless it automatically triggered by the system).

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10439
Solutions: 1618

@GreggC wrote:

@LLigetfa  Encouraging, and all good points.

I believe there was a problem, but it has been fixed. I just tried to duplicate but could not with the current sw/fw levels.  Will post details.

Note that in this latest testing, a reboot of the camera was never required following password changes (unless it automatically triggered by the system).

Of course, this is a moving target as it may be dependent on version and individual circumstance.

Some sage advice:

Get to know what the password is that the NVR set and verify that it works.

Unmanage the camera from the NVR before resetting the camera.

Factory reset the camera via the cam's webUI.

Worst case, TFTP recover the cam using the reset button on the cam, not on the PoE brick.

Highlighted

@LLigetfa  Good advice.

I grabbed a new camera off the shelf and tried to reproduce this issue, but could not.
All equipment was on the same subnet as follows:

UFV 3.9.12 (Windows)
Camera Password = pwdA

Protect 1.6.0 (CK-Gen2+)
Device Password: pwdB

UVC-G3-AF
Test Date: 8/25/18 (on product label)

------

Step1: Log into cam WebUI with default credentials = ubnt/ubnt
Confirm FW = 4.4.6

Step2: Manage into UFV with default credentials = ubnt/ubnt
FW updated to 4.4.8

Step3: Un-manage from UFV

Step4: Manage into Protect (no pwd given)
FW updated to 4.9.25

Step5: Un-manage from Protect

Step6: Re-Manage into UFV
Not possible due to "Firmware not supported" (4.9.25)

Step7: Perform "super-duper" hardware factory reset
(hold camera reset button for 30+ seconds while powering on)
Confirm FW reverted way back = 3.4.0

Step8: Re-Manage into UFV with default credentials = ubnt/ubnt
FW updated to 4.4.8

Step9: Un-manage from UFV

Step10: Perform regular factory hardware reset
(hold camera reset button for 10 seconds while already powered on)
Confirm FW still = 4.4.8

Step11: Perform camera software Reset to Defaults
(Log into cam WebUI, System Page, Reset to Defaults)
Confirm FW still = 4.4.8

------

When I originally had the problem, UFV was 3.9.9. and cams were 4.4.8. I think whatever was the cause has been corrected, at least in my environment.  If that problem was me being confused/tired/non-methodical, well it probably wasn't the first time.  On the other hand, I'm not the only one that has experienced problems. Man Happy