Kudos: 136

NVR and Unifi Protect on same network: Camera Adoption by CK2 problem...

I am having troubles adopting cameras with Unifi Protect.

I have a Unifi NVR and now a CK2 on my network. (Just added the CK2). I thought to move over a few cameras from the NVR to the CK2 to use for testing.

So from the NVR I "unmanaged" three cameras and then did a "Forget". I then pressed and held the camera reset buttons for 20 seconds.

The cameras are showing up on the NVR as being adoptable, but they are not showing up on the CK2 Protect as adoptable.

When I do a "Rescan Network" from CK2 Protect it tells me that no cameras were found.

How do i get the cameras to be adopted by CK2 Protect?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

Re: NVR and Unifi Protect on same network: Camera Adoption by CK2 problem...

same here. Tried to do is through SSH, found the secret password, filled in the ip adres of the NVR and the key in the web UI of the camera, it now shows up in the unifi protect screen but it's disconnected according to that screen

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1328
Solutions: 400

Hi @SeattleDavid,

If you disconnect the UFV NVR temporarily, do the cameras appear and allow you to adopt them to Protect? If not, what about after rebooting them?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Kudos: 96
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Cody

Same problem here.  Shutting down down UniFi Video does not solve for me.

Also noticed the CK-G2+ is showing a solid white LED, even though it is already setup,  I have updated it to FW v0.7.7 and Protect v1.1.0, logged in with SSO account, can see it in cloud (protect.ubnt.com), etc.

Only Protect is enabled on the G2+, not SDN.  I have SDN running on a regular G2 alongside, and shutting it down makes no difference either.

Finding cameras fails with both web and Android app v1.0.1 (8).

@GreggC wrote:

@UBNT-Cody

Same problem here.  Shutting down down UniFi Video does not solve for me.

Also noticed the CK-G2+ is showing a solid white LED, even though it is already setup,  I have updated it to FW v0.7.7 and Protect v1.1.0, logged in with SSO account, can see it in cloud (protect.ubnt.com), etc.

Only Protect is enabled on the G2+, not SDN.  I have SDN running on a regular G2 alongside, and shutting it down makes no difference either.

Finding cameras fails with both web and Android app v1.0.1 (8).

CORRECTION on the above:  SDN was running, so I shut it down and the LED turned blue.

I didn't realize it started automatically.  Seems like it prompted me on what to load during initial setup, and I only selected Protect.  Oh well, that was under the FW that came on the G2+ out of box, which was v0.7.5.

Still hasn't solved my camera adoption problem, though.

SuperUser
Kudos: 9098
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

If you were running a very old version of UniFi video, try updating the camera firmware first.   I've converted a lot of systems over and vaguely remember one site with problems and I think it was fixed with camera firmware update.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

@ClaudeSS  UFV was current at v3.9.9 with cameras at FW v4.4.8.

@UBNT-Cody  I think the problem is with a bug in the camera FW related to password and authentication state, combined with no apparent way to specify the camera password in Protect.

A new G3-AF camera out of the box with factory-installed FW v3.8.2-beta5 was discovered by Protect just fine.  However, any cameras previously managed by UFV have a problem.  I could un-manage, forget, factory-reset, and re-adopt them to UFV multiple times, but they were never discoverable by Protect.

The cameras from UFV can't be logged into through their web GUI after a factory reset, no matter what credentials are used (default ubnt/ubnt, the previous UFV camera password, NVR super-admin account, etc.).  The first attempt immediately fails with "Authentication locked because of too many unsuccessful attempts. Please try again in five minutes".  I even tried this from multiple browsers  to make sure it wasn't a problem with caching/cookies/tokens or whatever.  However, ubnt/ubnt was working fine to login via SSH after factory reset.

A support tech, Abby, had me do a super-duper factory-reset on the cameras by holding the button down for 30 seconds instead of just 10.  This reverted the cameras to FW v3.4.0.  However, they still couldn't be logged into via Web UI and weren't discovered by Protect.  After witnessing this herself via TeamViewer session, Abby said she'd have to get back to me.  So this is the bug part of the story.

I resorted to downloading the configuration from UFV and importing that to Protect, which worked flawlessly.  This brought all the cameras over because there is no option to select just certain ones during the import phase.  What I had really wanted to do was compare the two systems with half the cameras on each.  I tried to pull some of the cameras back to UFV, but this was also failing and I just gave up on it.  Note that all cameras had been updated to FW v4.7.12 after being adopted by Protect.

Now that all the cameras are in Protect, they can individually be logged into via web UI using the credentials ubnt/<old camera password from UFV>.  This includes the cameras that had been factory reset, and those that had not.  It even includes the new-from-box camera that had never been adopted to any system.  So this part of the story illustrates the issue with password management in Protect.

I wonder what the camera password would be if I had not imported anything from UFV?

Sorry for the long story, but I hope these details help.

I think there is definately a bug in Unifi Protect with dealing with passwords, especially new or previously unadopted cameras.   I attached a new camera to my network and it gets very quickly locked out (with the  "Authentication locked because of too many unsuccessful attempts. Please try again in five minutes" message).  I am still able to SSH into the camera and in the logs I discovered numerous attempts to login from the IP Address of my Cloud Key Gen 2 plus with an empty password:

2018-10-08 15:01:01 138,961 P6 rest_login[523]: Authenticate failed [ubnt_cgi:rest_login.cpp:Login:319]

2018-10-08 15:01:01 138,962 P6 rest_login[523]: method 'POST', remote addr '192.168.1.7', body '{ (NULL) "password": null, (STRING) "username": "ubnt" }', querystring '' [ubnt_cgi:rest_login.cpp:Login:324]

If I disable Unifi Protect the camera doesn't get locked out anymore.   I dont seem to be able to find any way to manually add the camera (with the correct password) in the Unifi Protect web interface.   I could try via SSH -- if I knew what needed to be run/edited.

Another alternative might be to spin up a VM with the old Unifi Video software, adopt it there, and see if I can transfer the settings via an import as GreggC has indicated.

@mbolitho wrote:

I think there is definately a bug in Unifi Protect with dealing with passwords, especially new or previously unadopted cameras.   I attached a new camera to my network and it gets very quickly locked out (with the  "Authentication locked because of too many unsuccessful attempts. Please try again in five minutes" message).  I am still able to SSH into the camera and in the logs I discovered numerous attempts to login from the IP Address of my Cloud Key Gen 2 plus with an empty password:

2018-10-08 15:01:01 138,961 P6 rest_login[523]: Authenticate failed [ubnt_cgi:rest_login.cpp:Login:319]

2018-10-08 15:01:01 138,962 P6 rest_login[523]: method 'POST', remote addr '192.168.1.7', body '{ (NULL) "password": null, (STRING) "username": "ubnt" }', querystring '' [ubnt_cgi:rest_login.cpp:Login:324]

If I disable Unifi Protect the camera doesn't get locked out anymore.   I dont seem to be able to find any way to manually add the camera (with the correct password) in the Unifi Protect web interface.   I could try via SSH -- if I knew what needed to be run/edited.

Another alternative might be to spin up a VM with the old Unifi Video software, adopt it there, and see if I can transfer the settings via an import as GreggC has indicated.

@mbolitho  What you found is interesting.  I did not try shutting down Protect to be able to log into the cameras.  However, I had no problem at all with previously unadopted cameras.  It was only the ones that HAD been previously adopted that I couldn't move over to Protect (except by doing a wholesale export/import).

Here's what I have since found out:  The factory reset of cameras, using the hardware reset button, does NOT reset the password (at least with the firmware I was running, or perhaps it was Protect v1.1.0 online and interfering as in your case).  Mashing the button for 10+ seconds (whether when powering on or not) seems to reset everything EXCEPT a password that had previously been set by UFV.

I must have fat-fingered the password on earlier attempts, but today I was able to log into the Web UI of a previously adopted UFV camera with the credentials: ubnt/<previous UFV camera password>.  This was AFTER a hardware-based factory reset.  It was also after I updated Protect to v1.2.0-beta3.

Once in the camera UI, I did a factory reset from there, and this properly reset the camera credentials to ubnt/ubnt.  With that finally done, Protect was able to discover the camera and offered adoption.

Very confusing stuff for sure.

Some good news is that if you update Protect to v1.2.0-beta3, you can see and set the camera password just as you could in UFV.

Kudos: 48
Solutions: 10

I also had similar probilem. Just setup new CKG2+ for my own use. Currently have UV NVR on latest version with 5 cameras around the property. Adding cameras to the UP system has proved problematic as sometimes the camera isn't see by the ' add camera' scan function on UP. I unmanaged a G3 on my existing NVR, logged in directly to the G3 and set it  up as standalone then restarted and still UP couldn't see it. Not until i reset the camera via it's own config page did UP Add camera find it and allow me to add it to the system. This was running latest available UP on CKG2+.

@cscs wrote:

Not until i reset the camera via it's own config page did UP Add camera find it and allow me to add it to the system. This was running latest available UP on CKG2+.

@cscs That sounds EXACTLY like the problem I experienced.  The problem is not with Protect.  It is really with the camera and the fact that the factory reset button does not reset the camera's password.

It seems the place for UBNT to solve, if possible, would be in the camera firmware.  Additionally, it would be nice if UFV had a way reset the password as part of its un-manage function.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10449
Solutions: 1619

@cscs wrote:

I unmanaged a G3 on my existing NVR, logged in directly to the G3 and set it  up as standalone then restarted and still UP couldn't see it. Not until i reset the camera via it's own config page did UP Add camera find it and allow me to add it to the system...

IMHO setting the cam to standalone is the wrong direction to go.  Reset to factory is the right direction as you found out.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10449
Solutions: 1619

@GreggC wrote:

It is really with the camera and the fact that the factory reset button does not reset the camera's password...

Unmanaging the camera should reset the password.  A proper factory reset should also reset the password.  I don't know what steps you did to get the results you got.  If you used the reset button on the PoE brick for example, that would not work.

The camera could have been reset to factory using the webUI of the camera while the password was still known.  The best factory reset where the password is unknown is the TFTP recovery method.

Wow, that is profoundly ugly. Would it have been possible to design something less customer friendly? 

@LLigetfa wrote:

Unmanaging the camera should reset the password.

@LLigetfa  It does not reset the password that is used by UFV or Protect in managing the camera.

I opened a case with UBNT support, and actually thought I saw that it was fixed in subsequent release notes.  However, my own problem being worked around, I never tested it.

@cscs It wasn't clear to me in your post if you had UFV and cameras on latest versions prior to moving cameras to Protect.  I know you had Protect on latest version.  Can you clarify?

@SeattleDavid  Did you ever get your cameras migrated to Protect?

Yes, the hard way...Resetting each camera manually, removing the NVR from the system, reinitializing the CK2+ and starting from scratch.

Hi @UBNT-Cody You chimed in on this thread early on.  Can you confirm if this bug has been squashed, and if so in what release?

All I ever got back from my support case was that it was being passed on to engineering.

Kudos: 48
Solutions: 10

@GreggC but if i unmanage a camera on UV, regardless of password, then the camera should be 'found' when scanning the network - it is on UV but it wasn't on UP. The authentication i presume doesn't happen until you then attempt to manage that camera, in which case it will fail if it's got non-standard password.

For my setup, once i'd unmanaged the camera in UV, UP wouldn't find it, despite restarting both UP, CK2 and the camera but UV did. Only once i'd reset the camera via it's config page did UP find it. It's not a big issue, but to my mind if you already know your cameras passwords and you want to migrate from UV to UP thenonoce you unmanage them UP should find them qithout having to reset and fiddle about.

I've got a number of sites with up to 8 cameras and it would make it a hassle to migrate to UP currently.

Precisely the same experience here, except that I needed to take UV off the network. And, I manually set each camera to k kw the IP address of UP as the vi controller.