Kudos: 281

Re: Native Apple HomeKit integration

I think the ability to create motion sensors out of motion regions in the cameras would be immensely useful for automating things. Motion detected in this area?  Turn on outdoor lights, alert owner, activate siren, etc. 

sometimes you you just want to check a stream real quick live. 

I agree the protect app is more useful for review. 

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 1

I'm not sure if Homekit allows a camera to behave as a motion sensor.  Are there any other Homekit cameras that appear as a motion sensor in Homekit?

I agree, some people may find it more convenient to view a camera using HomeKit.  After installing Homebridge I find myself reverting back to Protect app.

If this was useful, please like this post. Please also mark this post solved if it solved your problem.

My UniFi equipment: Cloud Key, Cloud Key 2+, Gateway (USG), PoE Switch (US-8-150W), Access Point (UAP-AC-Pro), UniFi G3 Flex

[ Edited ]

Anything should be possible as it’s all software at this point. 

For example theres a homebridge plug-in that turns your UniFi access point into an occupancy sensor. Say when your phone is detected as connected to the network, it marks that “occupancy sensor” as active. Good for unlocking your door when you get home. Activating lighting scene when arriving home. Opening the garage when your car’s WiFi is reconnected?  I’m sure there’s all sorts of uses for it. 

The thread is native homekit support.  So the question is... what does native homekit support get you that the Protect app doesn't.

Yes, anything is possible, however, I'm not aware of Apple recognizing ANY camera as a motion sensor.  There is nothing UBNT can do about that.  UBNT could deliver that capability in their native app... but thats not what this thread is requesting.

If this was useful, please like this post. Please also mark this post solved if it solved your problem.

My UniFi equipment: Cloud Key, Cloud Key 2+, Gateway (USG), PoE Switch (US-8-150W), Access Point (UAP-AC-Pro), UniFi G3 Flex

[ Edited ]

Here you go. Logitech does it. 

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/18/05/20/review-logi-circle-2-is-the-best-homekit-camera-bu...

Once paired with the HomeKit, Circle 2 offers much the same features as any other HomeKit camera. It will show up technically as two separate devices —a motion sensor and a camera.”

This is great (seriously)!  The Logitech camera appears as two separate devices.  Do you know if it physically contains a motion sensor or is it doing it via software?  This is Logitech's workaround because the camera device in Homekit does not support motion sensing.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 23

I use Protect with Homebridge and find I use the Home app to quickly view camera more often that protect. Home is great at bring things together, so it shows my DoorBird gate intercom camera along with the Protect cameras. And yes, the DoorBird shows a motion sensor as a HomeKit sensor too.

The Home app works across iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and now macOS — it’s really nice have a fast consistent UI across so many devices — and given Protect does not work in Safari, having Home on macOS makes a big difference.

Established Member
Kudos: 601
Solutions: 55

@jclarkenz wrote:

I use Protect with Homebridge and find I use the Home app to quickly view camera more often that protect. Home is great at bring things together, so it shows my DoorBird gate intercom camera along with the Protect cameras. And yes, the DoorBird shows a motion sensor as a HomeKit sensor too.

The Home app works across iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and now macOS — it’s really nice have a fast consistent UI across so many devices — and given Protect does not work in Safari, having Home on macOS makes a big difference.

@jclarkenz - I will give it a try. You get audio from the camera into the Home App? I’m planning to use a Pi. Never used homebridge before.

Kudos: 1

I am about to kick off a homebridge project with Pi.  I am curious as well if you get audio using that.  I'm pretty sure Logitech (Logi) Circle 2 pushes audio to Homekit.  Not sure if Unifi could be made too via homebridge.

Emerging Member

HomeKit supports audio, and whether you get audio from Protect will depend on the plugin and ffmpeg settings you use.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Here is a preview of what I get on one of my HomeKit "rooms" (I have more, a lot more!). The Intercom is from the DoorBird, the others from Protect.

Home 2018-11-23 08-48-57a.png
Established Member

That’s nice, are you using a RPi? 

I see your screenshot.  I think getting cameras that are non-unifi into one view is a definite plus.

Emerging Member

@fpb wrote:

That’s nice, are you using a RPi? 

It's running on ElementaryOS as a VM on my Synology DS918+ NAS.

My setup is using a Raspberry Pi.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@BrianErdelyi wrote:

I see your screenshot.  I think getting cameras that are non-unifi into one view is a definite plus.

Yeah, HomeKit is really great at bring all kinds of disparate devcies together, and Homebridge is excellent for bring "legacy" devices (including Protect!) into HomeKit.

So things like my iTach gate and garage door openers which are over 6 years old were able to be implemented with Homebridge. I can now say "Hey Siri leaving home" and my front door locks, garage door and gate opens.

I have a big HomeKit setup, and about to upgrade my home alarm with a model I can get going with Homebridge.

I have a condo that uses Control4, however, I'm renovating a house now and intend to use HomeKit for lighting and thermostats.  Always looking for other HomeKit features to add.  Perhaps once I have more Homekit devices I'll be in the home app more and may prefer viewing cameras there.

Emerging Member

If you're interesting in Homebridge plugins, this is the best place to check them out: https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=homebridge

I'm looking at a plugin now that creates a motion sensor from a camera feed.

Established Member

@jclarkenz - Just installed homebridge, and I'm going to start configuring it but what are you using for the API Key?