Emerging Member
Kudos: 16

Person detection?

Are there any plans to add person/people detection? Motion detection has a lot of flaws for me, when set sensitive enough to capture what I want, flies at night, rain, and car headlights at night set it off. When set low enough to avoid this, it doesn't detect motion as I'd expect. Having people/person detection would completely remove this issue. Is this a planned feature?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1455
Solutions: 445

Re: Person detection?

Person or face detection isn't something we would be able to add, as least in the short term. Products that offer this level of analytics often rely on cloud-based image analytics, and thus a monthly service fee per camera to facilitate that service.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

I'm running into the same issues. Are there any plans to offer separate motion sensitivity options for 'night & daytime' modes so we can fine tune the settings when using IR? I have to crank the sensitivity up almost all the way to trigger daytime movement which results in non-stop triggers throughout the night.

@UBNT-Cody wrote:
Person or face detection isn't something we would be able to add, as least in the short term. Products that offer this level of analytics often rely on cloud-based image analytics, and thus a monthly service fee per camera to facilitate that service.

Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I'd like to share some thoughts on this, because it's something I've been working on.

@UBNT-Cody  - I totally understand why you don't want to do it. However, it's also becoming very 'standard' for the competition to do. So let me propose a very light touch way you could do it, without needing to lock people into a subscription.

You can solve a number of shortcoming in Protect (geofencing, person detection, etc) with Home Assistant.

My currently implementation is that Home Assistant grabs a still image from the camera (via the anonymous snapshot feature) and sends it to me via a Telegram chat whenever motion is detected and no one is at home. Using Telegram is great because you can do actionable responses, and you get a preview of the image in the notification itself, a bit like Nest. The home/away detection is using my Unifi network to identify phones connected, works very well, but at some point I'm going to add geofencing and BLE beacons for a more accurate view. At the moment, the motion detection is handled by a z-wave sensor in the same room as the camera, but if Protect was able to expose motion events (register webhooks? MQTT?) then you could do away with a separate sensor and trigger off the camera alone.

Next step is to try something like this https://community.home-assistant.io/t/object-detection-with-amazon-rekognition/86358

So instead, the workflow would be "if motion detected while nobody is home, take snap, send to AWS Rekognition, inspect response, if response contains specific tags (person/people/human etc) then send snap to Telegram chat and trigger the alarm"

I haven't got round to actually implementing this yet, but I will and I'll post the results/guides when I do.

But it also got me thinking. This could be very easily handled by Protect itself. So there'd be a page where the user sets it up by plugging in their AWS account credentials, and then the CKG2+ would do exactly what HA is doing in the above. Whenever motion is detected, send a still image of that motion to Rekognition, inspect the response, and tag the event with any tags AWS returns. Then, allow users to set notifications based on tag presence against events.

If you wanted to be belt and braces, you'd inspect periodically during motion events. Say, every X seconds while motion is active (up to a limit to avoid huge AWS bills) - in case you miss the human in a clip, for example. You would probably also want to allow the user to limit the number of calls made to AWS in any given period, just in case. However, the pricing is pretty good. Free tier gets you 1000 for free each month for the first 12 months, and after that it's $0.40 per 1000 images processed.

So I guess the upshot is - if you're willing to put in the effort you can pretty much do it all right now. However, it would be really nice if this was a native feature of Protect so people don't have to.

Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@djknight90 I currently use Home Assistance with Telegram notifications and would be very interested on how you trigger an automation in HA when movement is detected on Protect. Can you elaborate?

Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

@djknight90  wrote:

At the moment, the motion detection is handled by a z-wave sensor in the same room as the camera, but if Protect was able to expose motion events (register webhooks? MQTT?) then you could do away with a separate sensor and trigger off the camera alone.

I have a ZWave.me USB dongle attached to Home Assistant, then I've paired a Fibaro Motion Sensor. I use these sensors for automated lighting control all over the house, but I also have a G3 Flex in the main entrance hall. So I just use the Z-Wave sensor to trigger the automation. Not an issue for me because I have the hardware anyway, but I understand that if you needed to buy extra hardware just for this reason then it's a bit annoying.

If we could get access to motion on/off events from Protect somehow then it would be ideal.

Kudos: 3

That's what I am waiting for, access to the Protect motion detection so I can trigger other stuff in Home Assistant. Let's hope the Protect guys are planning on it...