Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Product line so confusing

So, if I’m a UniFi customer with a UniFi gateway, PoE switch, AP, and Original CloudKey and I want to add UniFi security cameras to my network for the first time, do I need an NVR or a Gen 2 CloudKey or both? Is the only different between the Gen 2 CloudKey and the Gen 2 CloudKey Plus the physical size and 1TB HD in the Plus? And general speaking, what does the Gen 2 CloudKey do that the original CloudKey does not? So many questions. So little explanation on the website about these things.

Accepted Solutions
Solutions: 2

Re: Product line so confusing

Others can correct where i might be off. 

Gen 1 CK: cloud key only. Prone to data corruption essentially from powerloss. 

Gen 2 CK: cloud key, as well as Protect (camera control software). Has battery backup to resolve data corruption issue from powerloss, as it will power itself down properly when battery mode kicks on. Also has local storage to store camera recordings. 1 TB of storage is standard, but can be upgraded up to 5TB of storage. 

There are probably other small differences, but those i think are the biggies. 

View solution in original post

SuperUser
Kudos: 10866
Solutions: 669
Contributions: 1

Pretty close - I'll just add that the CK2+ is the only one that can run Protect (the new version of the NVR software).   The CK2 (non plus) is just running the UniFi controller siftware, although it does have the battery backup for graceful shutdown.

So if you need to run cameras, either the NVR or the CK2+ will do the job.   If you don't the CK or CK2 will run the SDN controller.   Although if you need more than 15 cameras the CK2+ needs to have the SDN Controller turned off to go to it's maximum of 20 cameras.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

Kudos: 32
Solutions: 3

I upgraded to CK Gen2_+ from the old white CK. Wasn't much of an issue. The backup from the old CK was accepted by the new CK Gen2+ and it was great. Of course, since the old CK does not have Protect on it I had to set that portion up from scratch. Wasn't a big issue. Just make sure you have the latest backup and be very careful with the passwords. I had a crash and the recovery was one of the most painful. The password is very very important. And there are quite a few to contend with. Just my two cents! Best to you.

All Replies
Solutions: 2

Others can correct where i might be off. 

Gen 1 CK: cloud key only. Prone to data corruption essentially from powerloss. 

Gen 2 CK: cloud key, as well as Protect (camera control software). Has battery backup to resolve data corruption issue from powerloss, as it will power itself down properly when battery mode kicks on. Also has local storage to store camera recordings. 1 TB of storage is standard, but can be upgraded up to 5TB of storage. 

There are probably other small differences, but those i think are the biggies. 

SuperUser
Kudos: 10866
Solutions: 669
Contributions: 1

Pretty close - I'll just add that the CK2+ is the only one that can run Protect (the new version of the NVR software).   The CK2 (non plus) is just running the UniFi controller siftware, although it does have the battery backup for graceful shutdown.

So if you need to run cameras, either the NVR or the CK2+ will do the job.   If you don't the CK or CK2 will run the SDN controller.   Although if you need more than 15 cameras the CK2+ needs to have the SDN Controller turned off to go to it's maximum of 20 cameras.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
Solutions: 1

Sounds like I need the CK2+ then. Is there a way to transfer my configuration from my CK to a CK2+? I just got my gear a few month ago (unfortunate timing I guess) and have a lot of work put into setting up my VLANs, firewall rules and SSIDs. Also is their a discounted upgrade price?

Kudos: 32
Solutions: 3

I upgraded to CK Gen2_+ from the old white CK. Wasn't much of an issue. The backup from the old CK was accepted by the new CK Gen2+ and it was great. Of course, since the old CK does not have Protect on it I had to set that portion up from scratch. Wasn't a big issue. Just make sure you have the latest backup and be very careful with the passwords. I had a crash and the recovery was one of the most painful. The password is very very important. And there are quite a few to contend with. Just my two cents! Best to you.