Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2671
Solutions: 174

Re: Protect: Understanding the Protect CK2+ Performance Limitations (The HDD is the achilles heel)

Video retention is based on time, not the amount of space used on disk. All of your cameras will have more or less equal lengths of video retention time.

@SeattleDavid  - We'd like to analyze your support file to determine why your Protect performance experience doesn't match what other users are seeing. Can you follow up with @UBNT-Cody  to collect a support file so we can debug your system?

Kudos: 136

Re: Protect: Understanding the Protect CK2+ Performance Limitations (The HDD is the achilles heel)

Yes, of course. 

That is all the more reason to want to know how much storage has been allocated to each individual camera. So that you can see if there is a particular camera which needs adjustment, repositioning, or some other change so that it does not hog all of the resources. 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2671
Solutions: 174

Great suggestion, thank you.

We're working on some designs for more camera statistics right now, so this is good feedback for us. I'd like to show an overview of each camera's bitrate graph over time on the micro-level, but we'll also look into some efficient ways to show the macro-level usage to help with your use case.

Here are stats that I would find to be very useful for managing Protect:

1) Storage duration. How many days or hours of storage is the system getting? Basically, the amount of time back to the oldest recording. In my case, 3.5 days.

2) An indication of which cameras are being piggy on storage. One possible ay to display this would be a pie chart with each camera getting a slice. This would help me in taming the few piggy cameras that are severely hurting overall stage duration.

3) Disk occupancy. Similar to processor occupancy. What percentage of the time is the disk busy? How close is the disk to being I/O saturated? This could be a metric on the CK2+ similar to processor occupancy: a gauge Hong percent.

I don’t care so much about bitrate or things like that as I doesn’t really lead me towards being able to manage the system. It’s a very abstract number. It’s into have, but it’s not as useful as the stats above.

Highlighted

So 17 days of video is in line with what I benchmarked. I thought the CK2+ had a 2TB drive, but in fact it only has 1TB.

I am getting 1250 hours on 1TB, so it would stand to reason that a 5TB drive would be 6250 hours, which is right in line with the 15~17 days that you are seeing.