Kudos: 28
Solutions: 5

Sharing one cat5 cable for two cameras

[ Edited ]

Is it possible to share one cat5 for two cameras from a PoE perspective as well as network connectivity?  Is imposible for me to run another cat5 to that location Man Sad

Something like this may do the job?    WT-MMF-RJ45  https://www.poetexas.com/products/mmf-rj45

Kudos: 50

Re: Sharing one cat5 cable for two cameras

Depending on what cameras you are using you could try this:

Mine has worked great for a scenario similar to yours.

https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/nanoswitch

@acappella_jg   O snap, that device looks beautiful and probably exactly what I need.  I plan to use two UniFi Video Camera G3 on the same cat5.  That should work right?

Thanks bunch partner

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1319
Solutions: 396

@ichila,

If deploying the NanoSwitch, please make sure that you also purchase a 1A 24V POE injector to supply enough power for the two cameras.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

@UBNT-Cody   Thanks Cody.  I plan to have a dedicated UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W for this cameras install.  That will not work? I hate to buy more hardware just to power up the cameras.  Trying to keep a clean install :-). 

Thanks

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10442
Solutions: 1618

@ichila wrote:

I plan to have a dedicated UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W for this cameras install.  That will not work?

No, it does not provide the watts that the PoE injector spec'd does.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 10442
Solutions: 1618

If central power control is desired, then obviously the PoE brick Cody spec'd won't give you that.  In that case, you could use the US-8-150W to supply 802.3at power to a https://mikrotik.com/product/rbgpoe_con_hp which in turn can output 24W at 24V.

[ Edited ]

Now I am freaking lost, honestly.

So the US-8-150W won't be enough to power 2 x G3 cameras through the NanoSwitch, so I need a POE injector?  Which exactly one?    Or instead the injector I can use the microtik convertor to the nanoswitch to power the 2 x G3 cameras?

This is becoming more complex than I imagined. I hate too many wires and adaptors honestly. I was looking for a CLEAN install Man Sad

Highlighted
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

@ichila wrote:

Now I am freaking lost, honestly.

So the US-8-150W won't be enough to power 2 x G3 cameras through the NanoSwitch, so I need a POE injector?  Which exactly one?    Or instead the injector I can use the microtik convertor to the nanoswitch to power the 2 x G3 cameras?

Will the US-8-150W power one individual G3 camera?  Or I need POE injector for this as well? 

This is becoming more complex than I imagined. I hate too many wires and adaptors honestly. I was looking for a CLEAN install Man Sad

The US-8-150W datasheet says that it can supply 24V passive PoW with a "Max. Passive PoE Wattage per Port" of 17W. The nanoswitch must be powered by 24V passive PoE and has a max power consumption of 30W, and supplies 24V passive PoE with a max wattage of 24W per port. The Unifi G3 without IR extender has a maximum power consumption of 4W, and can be powered by 24V passive PoE.

So it seems to me that @UBNT-Cody was being conservative: with the two cameras attached, we would expect a maximum power consumption of maybe 14W (assuming up to 6W for the switch itself + 2 * 4W), within range of the power supplied by the single port on the US-8-150W, but if something changes (e.g., you decide to attach the IR extender to a camera, resulting in up to 9W of power consumption instead of 4W) the nanoswitch could end up needing more power than the US-8-150W can supply with that single port across the single cat 5 cable you will use.

If I am right about this, and you do decide to play it safe by powering the nanoswitch with the appropriate PoE injector, then you should buy a 1A 24V POE injector as mentioned by UBNT-Cody. According to the nanoswitch datasheet, that would be the one with the product code POE-24-30W-G-W.

However, this means that the US-8-150W will not be supplying power to the nanoswitch, but rather it will be supplied (injected?) via the mains through the PoE injector. If you prefer to have the US-8-150W supply the power through PoE, then you would reach for the suggestion by @LLigetfa to use that Microtik convertor to power the nanoswitch (i.e., the Microtik converter would be connected to the cable connected to the port on the US-8-150W), which in turn would power the cameras.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1319
Solutions: 396

In addition to the power required by the cameras, you also need to factor in power lost by the cabling infrastructure. This can add on several watts depending on the quality of the cable, cable length, and number of connections between the two switches. It's always better to stay well under max power budget for POE.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Thanks Cody and I can apreciate being conservative.  That being said I now have one NanoSwitch with 2 G3 cameras pluged into the UniFi Switch 8 POE-150W port configured to 24 Passive. So far so good.   I am testing for now, not deployed yet.

Is there a way to display the Wattage consumption/utlization for the Passive port just like you can see it for a PoE port?  Is not in GUI as I can see, but maybe command line?  This will really help me understand the overall passive port utilization and prepare for some capacity planning