Kudos: 82
Solutions: 2

Unable to view cameras with no internet?

When my internet was down, I thought I would be able to view my cameras by hitting the cloudkey 2+'s local IP? The page would load but the cameras would not... why is internet connectivity a requirement for viewing a local NVR? The mobile app and the web site should detect that you're on the same network and not require cloud connectivity...... 

Re: Unable to view cameras with no internet?

anyone? is this by design? I should be able to view my cameras when I'm at home whether the internet is up or not...

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 5

@enkrypt3d 

I had noted this a couple of months ago and did not get a satifactory response. I find it wierd that you cannot see live (even locally) when internet is down; which unfortunately happens often where I live. I look forward to response here.

Kudos: 2

So you are unable to view the cameras via app OR web browser on the same network as the cloudkey gen2+, is this correct?

I am curious because I am about to install this device for a public library that will not allow my NVR or cameras to have internet access.  I was concerned with being able to correctly set times and dates without internet, and happened to see this post.  If I cannot view the cameras from the LAN via app or browser, that makes this solution a no go for me.  Thanks!

Well it appears that way for now... It's the only reason I dumped my nest cameras... Ugh

Uggh....so do you see the same behavior from both the app and a browser?

Yep... Of course the wifi was up but internet access was not. It should detect that and route it to the appropriate internal ip but it doesn't.

It really doesn't matter what you use. If the internet is down - no live view from camera - that has been my experience. Of course I mean when at home on the same internal network. I would expect that from the outside obviously but inside is kind of wierd.

Kudos: 62

The app cannot connect locally. It is a massive fail and facepalm. 

Absolutely agree. I can't believe that this shortcoming exists and I found out purely by accident when my internet was down after about a week into test deployment. I have left my backup system up because of this issue. Why we cannot connect "locally" on the same network and see live is beyond my feeble mind to comprehend.

[ Edited ]

There is a link in the app on the discovery page that says "I want to connect to a local controller" but when you click it, you get a pop up that says Not Implemented!

@AnanComm wrote:

So you are unable to view the cameras via app OR web browser on the same network as the cloudkey gen2+, is this correct?

I am curious because I am about to install this device for a public library that will not allow my NVR or cameras to have internet access.  I was concerned with being able to correctly set times and dates without internet, and happened to see this post.  If I cannot view the cameras from the LAN via app or browser, that makes this solution a no go for me.  Thanks!

I'm pretty sure Unifi Video doesn't have this issue as you have 2 IP's to connect to... one internal and one external... 

Kudos: 7

I wonder if this explains why I get a "slow connection" often when I am at home on my own network ... one would think that connection back to the UCK via LAN would be fast (my speeds on the network are great, no issues), but frequently they are not.

I had considered a Unifi system for security at our off grid cabin, but this would make UniFi protect a no-go there as we have no reliable internet...

Kudos: 62

Yes, it needlessly uses their cloud when connections are established. It’s infuriating, to say the least. 

I'm not tech savvy enough to know if that is something that can be addressed in a future upgrade, but I sure hope so.

Is recording to the UCK impaired when the internet goes down?  I live in a rural area with unreliable internet, and the local recording to the UCK was one of the big draws for me.  We've not had an internet outage since I set it up...

I am GUESSING the recording is not impaired. Like everyone else I was deeply disappointed with this glaring shortcoming.

When I get home later I will unplug the modem and walk around and see what happens...

Please post your discovery here. Thanks.
Kudos: 319
Solutions: 20

@tmshort wrote:

I wonder if this explains why I get a "slow connection" often when I am at home on my own network ... one would think that connection back to the UCK via LAN would be fast (my speeds on the network are great, no issues), but frequently they are not.

I had considered a Unifi system for security at our off grid cabin, but this would make UniFi protect a no-go there as we have no reliable internet...

Lots of posts spattered about regarding the specifics but here's what I recall. If you are using the mobile app OR the protect.ui.com URL to connect then the initial connection is negotiated via Ubiquiti's cloud. During that negotiation your Cloud Key announces the addresses it is available on (LAN ip or WAN ip) and you pull video direct from your network, never through the Cloud.

I would assume that priority if given to the LAN address first and if that fails it falls back to the WAN across the internet. Again this is all based on random snippets I've seen posted by UBNT employees. The only thing I can confirm with certainty is that when I connect to Protect using the local IP address I see the video coming from that IP address when I look in Chrome Developer tools.

I can however confirm with certainty that recording does not require an internet connection. I have never attempted playback via the LAN while the internet was down so looking forward to hearing your experience.

UCK-G2-PLUS | USG-3P | USW-24P-250 | USW-8P-150 | UAP-AC-LR | UAP-HD-IW | UVC-G3-AF | UVC-G3-FLEX | UVC-G3-PRO | UVC-G4-PRO
Highlighted

Playback via LAN with the modem unplugged works, and the system continued recording when I was not connected to the internet.