Kudos: 54
Solutions: 5

Re: Unable to view cameras with no internet?

Thank you for the update.

I performed the same experiment but with different results.  I have opened a support case on the issue and will report the outcome.

Without internet I would not expect to be able to access video from the mobile apps, which rely on a connection made through the cloud.  I would, however, expect access through a local connection to the web app to work without any issue. 

After pulling the plug on my internet, I connected to the cloud key as usual, using the local IP.  I clicked on the Protect app and the home page popped up normally.  That was where things went South.  Protect was unable to display an image from any of the cameras.  Liveview showed the normal progress bars but when they got to the extreme right, no image was displayed.  Events and Timeline had the same result.  Selecting individual cameras also yielded no image.

After restoring the internet connection, I reopened the app and everything was back to normal except.... 

Images recorded during the outage were highly pixelated and there were gaps in the recording.  Clicking on events just froze the display.  

I don't know how to explain my results being different from others but perhaps I'll get some explanation from product support.

Keep us posted please. I am very concerned about this in the context of a "security system".
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 2

@hkeach wrote:

I performed the same experiment but with different results.  I have opened a support case on the issue and will report the outcome.

Without internet I would not expect to be able to access video from the mobile apps, which rely on a connection made through the cloud.  I would, however, expect access through a local connection to the web app to work without any issue. 

After pulling the plug on my internet, I connected to the cloud key as usual, using the local IP.  I clicked on the Protect app and the home page popped up normally.  That was where things went South.  Protect was unable to display an image from any of the cameras.  Liveview showed the normal progress bars but when they got to the extreme right, no image was displayed.  Events and Timeline had the same result.  Selecting individual cameras also yielded no image.

After restoring the internet connection, I reopened the app and everything was back to normal except.... 

Images recorded during the outage were highly pixelated and there were gaps in the recording.  Clicking on events just froze the display.  

I don't know how to explain my results being different from others but perhaps I'll get some explanation from product support.

I just tried this myself and for me, locally conected to the Protect interface, from my PC, everything continued to work fine; live view, individual views, recordings, etc. No issues whatsoever.

Kudos: 50

@hkeach wrote:

This is exactly the same thing I see on my end. . 

In light of all the different results I did the test again a few seconds ago. (I had discovered this issue when I first deployed the system but had never repeated the test). I turned off the cable modem to simulate an Internet failure. (My desktop is wired connected to the same switch that has the CK Gen2+ and two of the three cameras). Live view was available when everything was connected. Immediately after I lost the internet the Live View was lost. When I tried to refresh that the progress bars for all three cameras would go to the end but then that is where they would remain. No live view for sure. Reconnected to internet and everything came back. So for me it does not work without the internet.

And you're accessing the Protect controller by the local IP? Not the cloud? It should continue to function just fine.

[ Edited ]

Yes sir. Does not function for whatever reason. Local IP.

The controller is functioning. No live view.

Weird. No issues whatsoever on my end when disconnected from the internet. 

Highlighted

Weird indeed. Some others are in the same predicament.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1152
Solutions: 152

[ Edited ]

It is important to us that direct connections without the use of cloud work for all clients, it was a major factor in our architecture decisions around using WebRTC and doing the things we do. So, even though there are currently issues and we don't have this implemented on the mobile apps *yet*, it is very much on the roadmap for us and we have every intention of supporting it.

For those of you interested in the technical details, see below.

For both cloud and local connections, we use WebRTC to transmit video and audio data (both live and recorded). The use of WebRTC itself does not mean we need internet connectivity, however there are some issues with our current implementation which might be causing issues for some users.

This is a fairly good article giving a high level overview of WebRTC and STUN/TURN: https://www.innoarchitech.com/what-is-webrtc-and-how-does-it-work/, one thing it fails to mention is that in the case of TURN fallback, all data is end-to-end encrypted so even though the third party is in the middle of all the traffic it can not decipher the data being sent.

For local connections, we do point to a STUN Server on the internet for getting candidates (we do not use TURN for direct connections). So while yes, we do use a server on the internet, this is only to get ip-port pairs to establish a p2p connection. With local connections all data is transmitted p2p once the connection is established.

This only affects users trying to connect to the controller. None of this affects camera > controller connections, all of those connections don't rely on any external force to communicate/connect, there is no difference to a camera whether there is an internet connection or not.

With all of that explained, the reason why it works for some users right now and not others is likely due to DNS caching on routers. Most likely for the users it is working for, their router is resolving the DNS request for the STUN Server, whereas for users where it isn't working, that DNS request is timing out (not being resolved by the router).

A STUN Server is not actually required to get a local IP address, (it would be required for users who are connecting to port-forwarded controllers however, as that is not a local-ip to local-ip connection). We will be fixing this in the future so that if STUN Server DNS resolution fails, the connection still works.

Thank you for the detailed info. 

We shall patiently wait for direct connections via app then. I appreciate the furious pace at which features missing at launch have been introduced, and it is no doubt a fantastic product at its price point. It is growing up, no longer a toddler. Now let’s add the direct connection, call it a 21-er and throw a kegger!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

@ubnt-taka  thanks for the detailed response.

I appreciate the transparency.

While a lot of the techspeak is above my head, it is good to know it is on your radar.

It may be possible that your access depends on your cloud storage and it requires internet connection, due to which your camera also requires the connection,

Established Member
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 79

Nothing to do with STUN servers - UBNT pull .ogg files from cloudup.com when you attempt to view "event" video - even on your LAN with the controller accessed via IP address.

If that's not available/permitted then the video will freeze and no longer function.

Easy to test - FF with noscript & allow/deny scripts from cloudup.com. If the script (and hence .ogg files) isn't permitted then you can't watch video clips.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1152
Solutions: 152

@Vestas we load sounds from cloudup in a special debug mode which we don't expose anywhere so I'm honestly not sure at all how you have it enabled on your system.

They aren't scripts, you can download and play them back in your browser to see, i.e. https://i.cloudup.com/7SSbOm5XZS.ogg

If you clear out cookies and local storage, it should resolve the issue for you.

Established Member
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 79

[ Edited ]

@ubnt-taka wrote:

@Vestas we load sounds from cloudup in a special debug mode which we don't expose anywhere so I'm honestly not sure at all how you have it enabled on your system.

They aren't scripts, you can download and play them back in your browser to see, i.e. https://i.cloudup.com/7SSbOm5XZS.ogg

If you clear out cookies and local storage, it should resolve the issue for you.

It doesn't resolve anything - you are still requiring me to permit cloudup.com access in order for LOCAL recorded video to be played back. Why?

NB - I am not the only one with this "issue", its been reported before and I've just had a friend confirm the same "issue" on a completely different site/network/machine.

So why are you pulling files/scripts from cloudup.com is the question?

Edit - try it yourself, FF in private window & noscript (default settings). You will need to permit cloudup.com, flukeout.github.io and gstatic.com in order to view LOCAL video. That's not an acceptable state of affairs.

Thanks to ubnt-taka for the explanation and the assurance that the issue will be resolved.

@Vestas wrote:

@ubnt-taka wrote:

It doesn't resolve anything - you are still requiring me to permit cloudup.com access in order for LOCAL recorded video to be played back. Why?

NB - I am not the only one with this "issue", its been reported before and I've just had a friend confirm the same "issue" on a completely different site/network/machine.

So why are you pulling files/scripts from cloudup.com is the question?

Edit - try it yourself, FF in private window & noscript (default settings). You will need to permit cloudup.com, flukeout.github.io and gstatic.com in order to view LOCAL video. That's not an acceptable state of affairs.

I tested it again, disconnected the switch that my computer and CK2+ are connected to from the router, so zero chance that Internet was accessible. I pinged the router and got timeouts. So my computer is perfectly able to access event recordings with no cloud dependency.

Your unit is possessed. Reset & reload :-)