Kudos: 51
Solutions: 2

Re: Unable to view cameras with no internet?

[ Edited ]

Here's to show how event playback with no Internet works fine on my end:

https://youtu.be/0o177AUAlH4

Edit: I take it all back. As you can see in the video, the interface was already loaded prior to disconnecting the Internet. If I repeat the experiment and disconnect the Internet then load the Protect interface, event playback won't work. Same with fonts, and some css.

This should be easy for ubiquiti to fix, just cache those resources locally and update as needed, so that there are no external dependencies.

Established Member
Kudos: 461
Solutions: 80

[ Edited ]

Exactly.

gstatic.com is fonts/css

flukeout.github.io could be for lots of things (haven't checked)

cloudup.com seems to be for sound

Its lazy coding, simple as that. There's millions of examples of it all over the web where there's no fallback if the remote resources aren't where they are expected to be. No excuses for it

If it was a design decision requiring external resources to view LAN video (in a browser, loaded from the <LAN IP address:7443> ) then I don't know where to start with the utter stupidity of that!

Edit - also I have no idea why there's an audio stream being generated by Protect/cameras when the microphone on those cameras is disabled. I looked at that initially wondering why .ogg files were required at all. Still none the wiser as to audio stream.

@Vestas wrote:

Its lazy coding, simple as that. There's millions of examples of it all over the web where there's no fallback if the remote resources aren't where they are expected to be. No excuses for it

If it was a design decision requiring external resources to view LAN video (in a browser, loaded from the <LAN IP address:7443> ) then I don't know where to start with the utter stupidity of that!

Hear, hear!

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 5

Thank you for being a knowledgeable advocate for the consumer. Often all we get is cryptic program talk and we have to accept it. For me the bottom line, after all the explanations are said and done by UBNT is that I cannot see live video when (my) internet is down. An unacceptable situation. I know they promise to fix it with an unknown schedule and I will give them the credit when I see it.
Established Member
Kudos: 461
Solutions: 80

@ASCHMB wrote:
Thank you for being a knowledgeable advocate for the consumer. Often all we get is cryptic program talk and we have to accept it. For me the bottom line, after all the explanations are said and done by UBNT is that I cannot see live video when (my) internet is down. An unacceptable situation. I know they promise to fix it with an unknown schedule and I will give them the credit when I see it.

NB - I'm not talking about the app(s) here, I'm talking about a browser loading the Protect UI via the LAN IP address. Nothing else.

I can understand (if not entirely agree with) the way the apps are currently designed because they're meant for mobile clients.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2769
Solutions: 179

@Vestas wrote:

Hi @Vestas  - It's faster to load fixed assets (images, fonts, HTML, JavaScript) from a global CDN than to serve them directly from your NVR.

We prioritize asset loading from high-speed global CDNs in parallel while we load the camera data from the NVR directly. This is part of how we accomplish the ultra-fast load times. It's an intentional optimization, not lazy programming.

When we introduce an official full-offline mode, we won't require CDN loading, obviously.

Kudos: 313
Solutions: 20

@ubnt-taka wrote:

@Vestas we load sounds from cloudup in a special debug mode which we don't expose anywhere so I'm honestly not sure at all how you have it enabled on your system.

They aren't scripts, you can download and play them back in your browser to see, i.e. https://i.cloudup.com/7SSbOm5XZS.ogg

If you clear out cookies and local storage, it should resolve the issue for you.

@ubnt-taka I see these requests as well.

Capture.PNG

UCK-G2-PLUS | USG-3P | USW-24P-250 | USW-8P-150 | UAP-AC-LR | UAP-HD-IW | UVC-G3-AF | UVC-G3-FLEX | UVC-G3-PRO | UVC-G4-PRO

@UBNT-TomS wrote:

We prioritize asset loading from high-speed global CDNs in parallel while we load the camera data from the NVR directly. This is part of how we accomplish the ultra-fast load times.

I get your point, but alas, it breaks playback when such aren't available. A fallback could (should, actually) be implemented whereas upon CDN fail it should try local resources... independent of "official" offline mode or whatever.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1222
Solutions: 154

The assets that are currently loaded from an external CDN are not required assets and their ability to load really has no impact on anything, having a fallback for them is not necessary. None of the essential assets we require are loaded externally, they are all hosted on the device itself.

As to why Firefox freezes up for you when those requests are blocked, the issue is with the extension, not from our side.

With all that being said, they shouldn't be being loaded at all tbh, this has already been fixed in an unreleased version of the UI so further discussion isn't really necessary.

Ubiquiti Employee

@Vestas  Time based retention was added in 1.6.0

Ubiquiti Employee

Running a version of the UI that loads no external assets, NoScript is still blocking legitimate video from localhost, there's an issue with that extension.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 13.51.20.png

[ Edited ]

What I really want in my security products is a standalone system that doesn't rely on cloud servers and live loading of 3rd party assets.

Maybe I'm a minority in the market, but I want as few holes as possible poked in a product that is recording me and my property.

I'm really excited about Protect, but I keep finding reasons to avoid putting a system together.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2769
Solutions: 179

@Ubi40 wrote:

What I really want in my security products is a standalone system that doesn't rely on cloud servers and live loading of 3rd party assets.

Maybe I'm a minority in the market, but I want as few holes as possible poked in a product that is recording me and my property.

Understood. This functionality is being developed right now, as you can see from Taka's screenshots above.

We will release the full offline functionality to beta first for some testing.

Kudos: 75

@UBNT-TomS wrote:

@Ubi40 wrote:

Understood. This functionality is being developed right now, as you can see from Taka's screenshots above.

Why aren't these assets (CSS / video players etc) loaded locally from the NVR? If there are updates to be made to any of these assets then just include it in the next firmware release. 

The reason I dumped nest was to have a camera system that didn't rely on having an internet connection...

If a burglar cut the power or internet to my house then the cameras would continue to record (until my UPS dies) but I can't look at the cameras until the internet is restored which makes it a potentially dangerous situation if I can't see the incoming threat... 

Ubiquiti Employee

The only assets loaded from a cdn right now are:

1) The font

2) Some audio files for a special debug mode

All of the necessary assets to actually function are indeed loaded locally from the device itself. 2 shouldn’t be happening and has already been fixed, we will also address the font so that it loads locally as well.

Theres a decent amount of overly alarmist-misinformation in this thread so I wanted to clear it up.

The reason local access isn’t working right now for some people is due to a bug, nothing to do with us loading assets from a CDN and as we’ve said we will fix it.

@enkrypt3d wrote:

@UBNT-TomS wrote:

@Ubi40 wrote:

Why aren't these assets (CSS / video players etc) loaded locally from the NVR? If there are updates to be made to any of these assets then just include it in the next firmware release. 

The reason I dumped nest was to have a camera system that didn't rely on having an internet connection...

If a burglar cut the power or internet to my house then the cameras would continue to record (until my UPS dies) but I can't look at the cameras until the internet is restored which makes it a potentially dangerous situation if I can't see the incoming threat... 

Well in that case Unifi Protect won’t help you. Might want to back that up with some real protection. Like HK or Beretta or Sig. 

Kudos: 59
Solutions: 5

@ncsakany
Does UBNT sell one of those too? Do you have to go and get the ammo from the store when you need it. :-)
Kudos: 75

@ncsakany wrote:

@enkrypt3d wrote:

@UBNT-TomS wrote:

@Ubi40 wrote:

Well in that case Unifi Protect won’t help you. Might want to back that up with some real protection. Like HK or Beretta or Sig. 

LOL that's what my mp5 is for Man Happy

The government will protect me. Colt gov’t 1911 that is. 

Kudos: 1

So can a static DNS entry be setup to make this function?