Kudos: 1

UniFi protect iOS app doesn’t work

Hi  has anyone have  any issue with their unifi protect using iPhone XS Max 12.1.4 

unifi protect  Version 1.2.3

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2682
Solutions: 174

Re: UniFi protect iOS app doesn’t work

@margielam2219  What specifically are you seeing? Does the app open at all? Have you confirmed in the app store that you have the latest version installed?

[ Edited ]

It’s load up halfway and it restart 

5F7D5626-34C6-42D0-B836-B2C8E968405F.png
397A2B7C-84F1-49D6-B79E-4725B1C710F8.png
Kudos: 36
Solutions: 1

Been seeing the same thing intermittently over the last couple of days. Oh if only we could connect locally and bypass the cloud. 

Same issue on Android

Very frustrating having swithced from Nest Man Indifferent 

Screenshot_20190210-183939.png

[ Edited ]

Well frustrating indeed as I am just feet away from the controller, on the same lan, yet I look hopelessly how the app just fails to connect. All the while direct access via pc is perfect. 

Why, oh, why does ubiquiti continue to shove their miserable cloud down our apps? Unifi video was perfect with regard to access. 

I sure hope ubiquity isnt mandating the use of their cloud for app connectivity in order to monetize user/device data!

Just got my to work going to the controller and check the network settings DNS 8.8..4.4
Ubiquiti Employee

@margielam2219 wrote:
Just got my to work going to the controller and check the network settings DNS 8.8..4.4

This is an interesting hint. What were the network settings before you changed them?

Ubiquiti Employee

@ncsakany wrote:

Well frustrating indeed as I am just feet away from the controller, on the same lan, yet I look hopelessly how the app just fails to connect. All the while direct access via pc is perfect. 

Why, oh, why does ubiquiti continue to shove their miserable cloud down our apps? Unifi video was perfect with regard to access. 

I sure hope ubiquity isnt mandating the use of their cloud for app connectivity in order to monetize user/device data!

We can get this solved. Can you work with @UBNT-Cody  to collect a support file through your web interface? Once we have the support file, we can quickly determine where your mobile connection is failing.

Occasionally we've seen strange network configurations with mismatched IPv4 and IPv6 support cause similar problems. Do you know if you have an IPv6 environment?

[ Edited ]

I do not have IPv6 enabled on the LAN. The issue I am seeing is connectivity oven the WAN using the mobile app, however both LAN and WAN access work using the web browser on my phone or PC.

@UBNT-Cody how is the support file generated and I'll send it over? 

Edit:

Further testing on the mobile app external to the LAN shows the issue to be when accessing either Unifi Cloud or Unifi Protect over 3G/4G. When accessing either Unifi Cloud or Unifi Protect using the mobile app connected external WIFI the app connects without issue .

This issue could be with IPv6 connectivity as my carrier is IPv6.... 

@UBNT-TomS wrote:

@ncsakany wrote:

We can get this solved. Can you work with @UBNT-Cody  to collect a support file through your web interface? Once we have the support file, we can quickly determine where your mobile connection is failing.

Occasionally we've seen strange network configurations with mismatched IPv4 and IPv6 support cause similar problems. Do you know if you have an IPv6 environment?

I only have ipv4 on my home network. The connection is failing at the last step. Trying it again once or twice will eventually result in the connection being established. 

The solution is simple, really: we need direct access to the protect controller, with the cloud as an option. Like unifi video.

Go to your cloud key plus manage 

network primary dns what is your dns

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1328
Solutions: 400

@ncsakany @noodlemctwoodle 

Please use this form to send me your support files: https://goo.gl/forms/DsCuLIkMEOTzwM7p1

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1328
Solutions: 400

@margielam2219 

What DNS servers were you using prior to changing it to Google's 8.8.4.4?

We'd like to be able to reproduce this issue internally.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

I was use 192.168.10.200
I had a pi hole
Ubiquiti Employee

Edit:

Further testing on the mobile app external to the LAN shows the issue to be when accessing either Unifi Cloud or Unifi Protect over 3G/4G. When accessing either Unifi Cloud or Unifi Protect using the mobile app connected external WIFI the app connects without issue .

This issue could be with IPv6 connectivity as my carrier is IPv6.... 

Thanks for checking this. Does your mobile carrier force IPv6? Or are they just IPv6 enabled? We'll continue looking into solutions for the mixed IPv6 / IPv4 network configurations. Meanwhile, are you able to temporarily disable IPv6 on the phone and test again over cellular?

I am using Verizon Not sure if they are using IPv6 I’m able to use UniFi Protect app on my iPhone

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Cody Im using 1.1.1.1 for DNS forced by the firewall, the hub is DHCP and static assignment is set on the firewall (Pfsense)

Edit: 

@UBNT-TomS My phone (Google Pixel Gen1) was manually configured to force DNS through Google.dns. This appeared to be forcing all traffic down IPv4 as sugested in the post on the EE forums. I switched off Google.dns and started forwarding my DNS through the mobile carriers DNS which are native IPv6 and now the mobile app (Android) can access the Unifi Cloud/Protect.

Further testing of other private DNS providers such as 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com also will not allow me to connect to the Unifi Cloud/Protect through the app, however as soon as I revert back to the carrier DNS (Automatic) it works again without issue.

I have forwarded the following ports to the IP of the Unifi Cloud Key Gen2 Plus

2019-02-11 18_55_55-Window.png

Are all of these ports required? 

@margielam2219 you get inforamtion about your connection here

Nope