Highlighted
Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

Very Disappointed in UniFi Protect SW running on Cloud Key Gen2+

[ Edited ]

I just installed a CloudKey Gen2+ and was looking forward to moving off of the Cloud Key (running the Controller SW) and a Debian Virtual Machine running the UniFi Video SW.  I currently only have two UVC-G3-Flex cameras, testing out the UniFi cameras and SW before jumping in with a few more cameras.  I am very disappojnted with the functionality of the UniFi Protect SW running on the ck-g2+ (cloud key gen 2 plus) device.  Below are a few areas of concerns.  I believe I have done a good bit of research using the SW, searching forums and then google itself.  I may have missed something and hopefully someone can point out where I may be wrong below or some work arounds to get things working.  

As I mentioned my prior setup was using UniFi Video running on a virtual machine on my home network behind a Unifi Security Gateway with a RADIUS Server configured.  I did not need the Cloud Access configured to use the UniFi Video app.  I would connect via VPN and access my cameras using the UniFi Video app on my phone.

Areas where I am very disappointed:

1 - It appears I need to have Cloud Access configured for the UniFi Protect SW on the ck-g2+ in order to access the cameras using the UniFi Protect app.  This is ridiculous even when I am at home on my home network.  Is there any way to access the camers/UniFi Protect SW without having cloud access configured?  I would hope there is but I can't find any way to get that working.

2 - There appears to be no way to turn off motion detection on certain cameras.  I understand cameras are used for surveillance but there are certain situations where I need to turn off motion recording on a couple cameras.  Being on all the time and having to create privacy zones is not an acceptable design in my opinion.  I would liek to use live view in certain situations but not record the motion.  Also there needs to be a setting to adjust recording time before and after motion detection.

3 - Once I add a camera to UniFi Protect I no longer can access the camera directly from a web browser at it's IP address.  There is no mention of what the username and password is after adding to the UniFi Protect SW.  I've tried to access with what I thought would be the username and password but always is incorrect.

4 - Also I have not found a way to delete any of the motion activity video clips via the app or the web interface.  I would expect this is a priority.

I guess I expected more out of the UniFi Protect SW but it looks like I may have to turn that off and go back to running the UniFi Video SW under the Debian virtual machine.  Currently UniFi video seems to be a much better and more functional SW product. 

Will some of the features/functions mentioned above find their way into the UniFi Protect SW?

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2617
Solutions: 168

Re: Very Disappointed in UniFi Protect SW running on Cloud Key Gen2+

@wadesmart wrote:

fpb, what creds are required to access the links you provided?

Users can opt-in to our Early Access program here: https://account.ubnt.com/manage/settings/earlyaccess

However, early access is not required for the features mentioned above.

1. Cloud Access is required to use the UniFi Protect mobile applications, currently. However, the OP was mistaken: The application will automatically coordinate a direct connection between your mobile application and the Protect system. Your video is not routed through Ubiquiti servers, whether you're home or not.

2. Cameras are always recording, 24/7. The motion detection is a bookmark into your constant recordings. You can adjust the motion detection sensitivity downward if you'd prefer to have fewer motion events, but all video footage is available through Timelapse anyway.

3. We don't recommend that users access the camera web interface directly. Advanced users can still access this function by revealing the camera password in the settings page as shown above. We won't leave the camera Web UI open or with default password because that would be a major security vulnerability for the system.

4. Deleting motion clips is available in the timelapse feature.

I'm going to close this thread because the information is not only outdated, but not accurate.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 560
Solutions: 52

[ Edited ]

@HPete03 wrote:

I just installed a CloudKey Gen2+ and was looking forward to moving off of the Cloud Key (running the Controller SW) and a Debian Virtual Machine running the UniFi Video SW.  I currently only have two UVC-G3-Flex cameras, testing out the UniFi cameras and SW before jumping in with a few more cameras.  I am very disappojnted with the functionality of the UniFi Protect SW running on the ck-g2+ (cloud key gen 2 plus) device.  Below are a few areas of concerns.  I believe I have done a good bit of research using the SW, searching forums and then google itself.  I may have missed something and hopefully someone can point out where I may be wrong below or some work arounds to get things working.  

As I mentioned my prior setup was using UniFi Video running on a virtual machine on my home network behind a Unifi Security Gateway with a RADIUS Server configured.  I did not need the Cloud Access configured to use the UniFi Video app.  I would connect via VPN and access my cameras using the UniFi Video app on my phone.

Areas where I am very disappointed:

1 - It appears I need to have Cloud Access configured for the UniFi Protect SW on the ck-g2+ in order to access the cameras using the UniFi Protect app.  This is ridiculous even when I am at home on my home network.  Is there any way to access the camers/UniFi Protect SW without having cloud access configured?  I would hope there is but I can't find any way to get that working.

2 - There appears to be no way to turn off motion detection on certain cameras.  I understand cameras are used for surveillance but there are certain situations where I need to turn off motion recording on a couple cameras.  Being on all the time and having to create privacy zones is not an acceptable design in my opinion.  I would liek to use live view in certain situations but not record the motion.  Also there needs to be a setting to adjust recording time before and after motion detection.

3 - Once I add a camera to UniFi Protect I no longer can access the camera directly from a web browser at it's IP address.  There is no mention of what the username and password is after adding to the UniFi Protect SW.  I've tried to access with what I thought would be the username and password but always is incorrect.

4 - Also I have not found a way to delete any of the motion activity video clips via the app or the web interface.  I would expect this is a priority.

I guess I expected more out of the UniFi Protect SW but it looks like I may have to turn that off and go back to running the UniFi Video SW under the Debian virtual machine.  Currently UniFi video seems to be a much better and more functional SW product. 

Will some of the features/functions mentioned above find their way into the UniFi Protect SW?

First welcome to the forum. 

1. Protect requiered internet all the times. More info here.

2. Disable motion recording its not an option right now. More info here

3. The password to access an adopted camera (by Protect) is under Settings > General > Device Password

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.48.16 PM.png

4. The footage deletion feature is under Beta testing on the iOS App right now. Should be out of Beta soon. 

Protect is under active development, new features / option are getting added regularly. If you sign up for the Beta section you will be able to test some of the Beta features.

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Kudos: 27
Solutions: 2

@wadesmart wrote:

assign to beta program of ubiquiti.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2617
Solutions: 168

@wadesmart wrote:

Users can opt-in to our Early Access program here: https://account.ubnt.com/manage/settings/earlyaccess

However, early access is not required for the features mentioned above.

1. Cloud Access is required to use the UniFi Protect mobile applications, currently. However, the OP was mistaken: The application will automatically coordinate a direct connection between your mobile application and the Protect system. Your video is not routed through Ubiquiti servers, whether you're home or not.

2. Cameras are always recording, 24/7. The motion detection is a bookmark into your constant recordings. You can adjust the motion detection sensitivity downward if you'd prefer to have fewer motion events, but all video footage is available through Timelapse anyway.

3. We don't recommend that users access the camera web interface directly. Advanced users can still access this function by revealing the camera password in the settings page as shown above. We won't leave the camera Web UI open or with default password because that would be a major security vulnerability for the system.

4. Deleting motion clips is available in the timelapse feature.

I'm going to close this thread because the information is not only outdated, but not accurate.