Kudos: 1
Accepted Solution

slow connection when using USG or USG Pro

i recently bought all ubiquiti hardware, cloudkey plus gen2, usg, unifi poe switch and unifi cameras.

When i use the usg and i turn off wifi to my phone the unifi protect app says i have a slow connection and every 20 seconds (aprox) it reconects, if i have wifi on, and on the local network it works perfectly.

if i take out the usg and put in my old router, i get fast connection and everything works great.

i went and bought a usg pro to see if the usg was just too slow and i have the exact same problem.

with both routers i get about 90mb down and 40mb up

internet is cable docsis 3.1

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1160
Solutions: 152

Re: slow connection when using USG or USG Pro

If you have a USG with IPS turned on, please make sure the `Info` category is not turned on. If it is, please turn it off. You may need to wait up to 5 minutes to see any change in behavior, after that please test again and see if the issue persists.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1373
Solutions: 418

Hi @balducci,

What firmware version do you have running on your USG? Did you enable or customize any of the USG-specific (router/gateway/firewall) settings when testing, or is the site pretty much default?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

UniFi Protect: UniFi Protect Help Center | Frequently Asked Questions

UniFi Video 3: UniFi Video Help Center | UFV3 User Guide

hi, running 4.4.36.5146617

the only customisations i have are port forwrding,

i tried resetting to factory defaults, not adoping it into the unifi system, and just letting it use dhcp as default ip, reset the cloudkey to use dhcp and the cameras, still the same result.

when on the lan or wifi it works fine, when im outside the network using the unifi protect app it always says slow and keeps reconnecting..

i did find something intereting while going crazy changing every setting on the weekend.

this problem is occuring with my cable modem in bridge mode, and letting the usg do all the routing.

if i put the cable modem in router mode, and then forward all ports to the ip of the usg, it works much better, i get fast connection all the time with the unifi protect app.. howver im doing double NAT. dont like that.

everything else works fine speed is the same upload and download using the usg as the router and the cable modem in bridge mode. its just doing something strange to the traffic to and from the unifi protect.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

@balducci,

How is your WAN configured? Are you using DHCP, static, or PPPoE?

Could you share a support file from Protect after reproducing the issue with the USG in use by using this form? https://goo.gl/forms/vvSlhDGUlBnNIGH93

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

DHCP,

at the moment im using the double NAT method which is working,

when i get home tonight after work i can reset the cable modem into bridge mode and that will cause unifi protect to go slow.

that is the only change i need to make to reproduce the slow issue

in bridge mode the cable modem passes on the external ip to USG, in router mode it supplies the usg's wan port with a 192.x address

hi.i have save 2 support files from unifi protect

one called UniFi-Protect-Support-File-slow.zip is the cable modem put into bridge mode, letting the usg do all the routing

the other called UniFi-Protect-Support-File-fast.zip which has the cable modem in router mode, still plugged in the same way, but i put the ip of the usg as the DMZ so all traffic gets forwarded to it.

Attachment
Attachment
Ubiquiti Employee

@balducci,

What model is your modem? What subnets do you have configured for LAN, and what subnet are you getting assigned by your ISP?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

Could you please try setting your USG WAN MSS Clamping to 1000 as a test? You will find the config under USG Settings -> Config -> Advanced -> MSS Clamping.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

arris cm8200B docsis 3.1

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.22.44 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 6.22.44 am.png

just tried mss clamping at 1000 - same results with unifi protect.

speedtest.net was ok

unifi protect still says slow and keeps reconnecting.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5645
Solutions: 355

@balducci do you have hardware offload enabled or disabled? It'll be enabled by default, unless you have IDS/IPS or smart queues enabled, or disabled it manually. From the description it sounds like it's probably enabled, if that's the case, could you try with it disabled? Go to Devices in the controller, click on USG, go to its Properties panel on the right. Under Advanced, turn off "Enable hardware offload" and click Save. Once it's finished provisioning, try the problem circumstance again, does that have any impact? 

ive turned ips on and off - made no difference,

turned dpi on and off- no difference.

turned on and off hardware offoading - no difference

Kudos: 23

I also notice a major slow down offsite, despite having 40down/20up.

Keen to hear what solves this problem, as I also have a USG with modem in bridge mode.

Jono

Hi All,

I have the same issue, Unifi usg 4P and unifi 24 poe switch, pretty much default settings.  WAN is DHCP.  I'm keen to get a solution.

Scott

Thought i should add my support file

Attachment
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for everyone's feedback. We're investigating the reported performance issues when users are using a USG. I will provide updates once I have them available.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Kudos: 45
Solutions: 2

[ Edited ]

I don't have those specific models, but do have a USG, the XG-8. With hardware offloading disabled, and IPS on, I have fast connections from my office when viewing the home cameras. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

Joining the list here. 

I have tried everything mentioned including factory resetting ALL UniFi devices on the network. I was getting frustrated so I decided to scorch earth. 

No change. Still shows slow connection. The connection at the location is 500/20 via speed tests. 

I will say that this wasn’t an issue with previous firmware versions. I can’t say which version but I’m on the latest of everything and it used to always tell me “fast connection” and the video would stream perfectly. It just recently (last week or so) started to suck.

Emerging Member

Not sure if this helps or not but I’m also seeing the UniFi Network app on iOS perform very slow as well. This seems to have started the same time the Protect app began to perform slowly. 

Constantly losing connection while doing things like updating device aliases.

Since it’s the same device that controls both Protect and the network controller, I assume it could be a Cloud Key Gen 2 firmware issue. 

Emerging Member

Turns out I am just really bad at making patch cables. I switched the cable out between the USG and the Cloud Key and things are “fast connection” once again.