Ability to clone the a routers Mac address in the GUI

Submitted by -

Title says it all. It's available on the ASUS routers, why can't we do this in the Controller GUI, instead of messing around with the .JSON file? 

Comments
by
on ‎11-24-2018 06:36 AM

Are there actually still ISP’s that require MAC address cloning to be able to use their service with your own router?

by
on ‎11-24-2018 06:42 AM

If someone wanted to get rid of AT&T's gateway, they need to clone the AT&T gateways WAN Mac address to the USG. My feature request was to enable that to occur without having to go through a bunch of steps like configuring the .json file. 

I know Asus Routers allow you to do this(or at least they did, I havent used one in a while). I'll boot an old one up and post a picture later today.

@Hsd1965

by
on ‎11-24-2018 06:50 AM

Ok. I was just wondering about this because in my country ISP’s stopped this MAC address locking years ago. 😉

by
on ‎11-24-2018 06:58 AM
by
on ‎12-06-2018 09:36 AM

This is a standard feature on many routers, and should be added.  One major reason is that when replacing a router, it is sometimes necessary to contact the ISP to update their network equipment with the new MAC address.  This is not the same as MAC locking like some ISP's like Cox require a customer to do when replacing the cable modem.  The problem I'm referring to has something to do with the cached mac adddress of the old router within the ISP's network.  The support call hell can be avoided altogether by simply spoofing the mac of the old router on the new router.