Move WANs into Networks for improved flexibility

Submitted by -

Move WAN configuration into Networks section to improve flexibility, so interface purposes aren't fixed. e.g. allow WAN2 port to be configured as a LAN if desired, allow multiple VLAN config on a WAN, etc.

Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎11-17-2016 09:01 PM
Status changed to: Accepted

That's the plan for future systems

by
‎11-17-2016 11:30 PM - edited ‎11-17-2016 11:31 PM

@UBNT-cmb => can it be simply implemented in the controller side ? and not waiting for the hardware model to be "taggued" with the generic X1 X2 X3 X4 ?

Note : I did a duplicate here http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Feature-Requests/configurable-ports-for-USG-Pro-4P-and-USG-3P-to-..., if you can remove it ?

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎11-18-2016 12:58 AM

@di3 yes, probably will allow port remapping on existing USG Pro when we get to that point. Doesn't really make sense to re-map USG beyond what's already supported. 

by
on ‎11-18-2016 01:33 AM

Thats good news. I could never work out why the SFP ports were for WAN only.

by
‎11-18-2016 03:43 AM - edited ‎11-18-2016 03:52 AM

UBNT-cmb  I like that you guys work with the people that using your devices. We all making UBNT better and enjoying it. Thanks for keeping close watch with your community and care for your job. 

I test your new firmware on failover 3.4.5 I works on my router so far so good. I will see what happens when main internet goes down when network line still connected but so far so good. 

by
on ‎11-19-2016 08:04 PM

I'll 2nd, 3rd, this.  One, I might get a IDF more than 300+ feet away, and two, this might lead to a third WAN connection.  (our local ISP speed is that bad, and 4k netflix is brutal).

And if that happens, you might also sell a 10G switch.

WAN1, WAN2, WAN3, LAN1 - > Fiber uplink to 10G switch ---> Switch 1 - > switch 2.

Maybe someday.

by
on ‎01-18-2017 06:30 PM

For clarification, this accepted change would allow the user to set LAN1 and LAN2 to access the same VLANs and networks? I'd like to be able to connect my two core switches both to the router directly, but it seems that is not possible yet.

by
‎01-18-2017 10:12 PM - edited ‎01-19-2017 08:10 AM

For clarification, this accepted change would allow the user to set LAN1 and LAN2 to access the same VLANs and networks? I'd like to be able to connect my two core switches both to the router directly, but it seems that is not possible yet.

Take this as nothing but an assumption at current time.  Only remember this coming up before with the ER-8 in the Edgemax side.  But since the USG has its roots in the Edgerouter, the answer to that I expect is a no.  1 separate network (LAN) or (WAN) per port, I believe this is just how the hardware is designed, unlike something like the smaller Edgerouter POE, and like the Pro4's Edge counterpart, there is no switching hardware in the USG series.

Its designed to route between the layers and not switch between one.  Its why they made the XG.  That could be a more a new product request though, a router with switching or aggregation functions.  Honestly.. I'd Kudo it, site runs two switches, the XGs are overkill, and I like having all the switches on the same subnet, for which, without the XG, they are not.

EDIT:  I'm imaging things as I can't find the thread in Edgemax anymore, so ignore me. Man Happy

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎01-18-2017 10:44 PM

@nperkins487 no, that would be interface bonding. I opened a request for that since there wasn't one. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/USG-interface-bonding-support/idi-p/18...

by
on ‎01-18-2017 10:50 PM
Can't this be done om the pro already? When I get my cli it lists ports as eth0-eth3 respectively