UniFi switch QoS support

Submitted by

I request acces to full VLAN functionality and QOS functionality on the line UniFi switch.

It would be great if we could access the more advanced functionality from the command line until such time as that were available in the Controller.

I just purchase six UniFi switch and assumed that the Enterprise tag and fully managed marketing meant that these features were available.

I don't know what I am going to do.

What I do know is that the UniFi hardware is the same as the EdgeMax hardware, running an older version of the firmware.

I think the entire Ubiquiti line of products is great. I was an early adopter of Vyatta and I love what they have done to with the EdgeMax routes.

Comments
by Ubiquiti Employee
‎09-08-2016 01:19 AM - edited ‎09-08-2016 01:20 AM

Specifically what part of "full VLAN functionality" are you needing that isn't there? 

Also which part of QoS is of interest?  

by
on ‎09-08-2016 01:34 AM

1) In all enterprise class switches I have used in the past I can configure a port on the switch to accept traffic from all vlans or any subset of vlans. On the UniFi switches I can only configure access to ALL vlans or one specific vlan.

Here is a use case: multi-tenant office. Three vlans: one for each client. One vlan for shared resources. I would like to configure ports to give access to each client vlan and the shared vlan.

Is this possible without going through a router?

2) Interested in implementing QoS for VOIP. Once again all enterprise class switches I have encountered have this functionality.

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎09-08-2016 01:47 AM

You can configure any PVID you want, and any number of tagged VLANs as well. In the controller, go to Devices, click on your switch, go to the Configuration tab on the right, Networks/VLANs, click Create. Setup whatever you want, then assign it to your ports. 

QoS, yes I hear you on that. It's often not important on switches since QoS does nothing when there is no contention for bandwidth and that's usually the situation for switches, but it should be there. The switch firmware supports it, and it should be exposed in the UI. Doesn't look like there is an existing feature request for that, I'll rename this one for it. 

by
on ‎09-08-2016 01:52 AM

Thank you for the prompt response. That really creates workability.

On suggestion is to expose the underlying configuration from the command line. Like the EdgeMax.

In several of my EdgeMax configuration I configure feature in the command line/shell which are not available in the web interface

Perhaps this is possible already with the UniFi. If it is I have not been able to access it.

Max.

by
on ‎01-02-2017 10:14 AM

I am also interested in QoS support for UniFi switches.

As from what i can tell they ignore QoS tags.

by
on ‎02-11-2017 10:57 AM

I am also interested in QoS support for UniFi switches.

I'm really bothered that this function does not exist

by
on ‎02-26-2017 12:39 AM

Much as I'd like see QOS real soon now, I'd also really like to see the promised PVLAN capability implemented. Use of PVLANs goes way beyond data centres.

by
on ‎02-26-2017 02:25 AM
no PVLAN??
by
on ‎02-26-2017 08:01 AM

I'll copy what I posted in another thread here too:  

@UBNT-cmb

There are aspects of the QOS interface in pfSense that I like, but overall it's pretty fiddly and hugely unforgiving, especially if you use the Wizards (that generate settings that the GUI will not let you save without editing first, for example).

I think starting with a screen that shows me all my configured networks and then I can prioritize them would be more than I want/need.  I'd put VOIP at the highest priority, then the private network with all my staff, then the LAN with the video cameras and finally at the very bottom the guest network.  That would cover the majority of my needs and for the most part makes the rest below unecessary.

However, these extras would be nice to have too.  If I could optionally guarantee min and max bandwidth to different networks, even better.  I'd like to guarantee say 60% to the staff network, but let the guest network take it all if it's available.

Not only is the above important for the peremiter on the USG, but also on switches, especially on my uplink/downlinks.  An option to have the same policy apply to the perimeter and switches or have seperate policies for both would also be cool.  Right now the same priorities and ratios are more than sufficient for internal and external, but at some point I can see where being able to control them independantly would be very nice.  And on the internal uplink/downlink I could see having different configs on individual connections would be useful too.  

I'd stick with the same group concept like the Wireless groups work - it's pretty good and works well.  Use the same interface conventions.  And use the same screens as much as possible between the USG and switches too, please!  Under the covers the settings are probably quite different looking, but from my perspective as the end user the beauty of the Unifi controller is it exposes a functional view independant of the various pieces and parts of hardware under the covers.  Run with that!  

For folks that need to twiddle the individual settings directly, having an advanced view that lets you get into all the gory details would also be nice.  But I don't need that.  At least not today - I just want some broad and from my current perspective some simple functionality Man Happy

Anyway, just some thoughts.  I'm getting ready to finally split out our VOIP phones on their own VLAN, as well as create a VLAN for our cameras too and I'd love to be able to manage the traffic of those a lot better.  Just being able to prioritize my networks would go a long way towards that.  Thanks!