Kudos: 1

1.5 Gbit/s internet is here... Can I adapt the USG Pro-4?

[ Edited ]

Bell just brought us, here in Canada, 1.5 gbit/s download speed and 1gbit/s upload. Their GPON module supports 2.5 gbit/s so they will eventually make this speed available to consumers. I currently have an USG-3P using the ISP modem (Bell's HomeHub 3000) in bridge mode so I can still use PPPoE on the USG. As it's not fast enough for >1 gbit/s WAN speed and routing, does the USG Pro could do a load balancing between its 2 ethernet WAN interface and create a LACP bonding link to my US-24 switch? I already own everything except the USG Pro-4 and I want to keep my setup as it is, because 19 years old and on a budget Man Wink Mikrotik seems to have the advantage on this point with their RB4011iGS+RM, but I love the Unifi ecosystem!

2x UAP-AC-PRO
1x UAP-AC-LR
1x UAP-AC-M-PRO.................................................. Pretty cool home setup (parents are happy!)
1x USG-3P
1x US-24 Switch
1x Netgear GS-724T v3
Pretty cool home setup (parents are happy!)
Network concept AC9.PNG
Kudos: 302
Solutions: 40

Re: 1.5 Gbit/s internet is here... Can I adapt the USG Pro-4?

None of the USGs can do LACP on WAN or LAN Man Sad

If Bell will let allow, you could connect both WAN ports and load balance between them. But no single connection would exceed 1Gbps.

If you have Internet heavy users across VLANs, you could assign some VLANs to LAN1 and others to LAN2. Still, not ideal Man Sad

If you need really need every scrap of performance, you would be looking at a USG-XG ($$$) which has real 1/10Gbps ports. Then your switch would have to be 10Gbps as well (more $$$).

Or wait for some next gen USG or go with a different brand of firewall.
Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Yeah I can connect myself 2 times with the same PPPoE account so I could theoretically do a load balancing on the same ISP account? One day, Ubiquiti will make an affordable XG router hehehe... For VLAN, meh I want a single machine to download at that speed so it's not an option unfortunately...
2x UAP-AC-PRO
1x UAP-AC-LR
1x UAP-AC-M-PRO.................................................. Pretty cool home setup (parents are happy!)
1x USG-3P
1x US-24 Switch
1x Netgear GS-724T v3
Pretty cool home setup (parents are happy!)
Kudos: 26
Solutions: 1

So to piggyback off of this thread....

If I have 2 WAN and VLANs I can set them up to have spcifics VLANs down specific WANs? 

To complicate it can I set it up so that only particular traffic can go out a spcific WAN. E.g. all torrent traffic goes out WAN 2 and all other trafitr from the same PC goes out WAN 1. 

Kudos: 96
Solutions: 7

I've been able to push 1.2G with the USG-4P on a single copper wire sustained that has a direct a connect via copper to an ONT that is direct to fiber. However, that's the highest I got the USG-4P.

Unfortunately, with the lack of the USG-XG-8 and the decision I made for my company executives to be able to establish minimum 10G (20G recommended) connections to the network, the EdgeRouter Infinity became a business purchase since the USG isn't available and hasn't been for a while.

I know I am going to have to do some tricking in the Unifi network - send some of the 10G lines to a Unifi 10G switch and some to the USG-4P for standard 1.2G internet but it's the best solution I could think of. I am testing this setup before creating a deployment playbook for other executives (since everyone is comfortable with technology).

I know the Infinity is a $1,500 router but it looks worth the price with no Unifi available given other 10G counterparts can jump into the multi-thousands very easily.