Kudos: 3

Re: 3.9.15.8011 blocks DHCP

[ Edited ]

First - let me say that I'm a general fan of Ubiquiti and their products. However, I use it at home. If my job depended on it I wouldn't use it at work. I do some occasional consulting for large residential wifi setups (15,000+ sq ft homes) and I don't suggest Ubiquiti products, unfortunately. Gone are the glory days of 'it works, dont touch it'. We have to patch for krack, etc and software lifecycle management is now an integral part of competent IT.

I'm more than happy to help folks smarter than me debug and resolve this, but I suspect Ubiquiti's engineering team considers these reports ancedotal and/or related to beta features therefore it's not a priority. Having started my career in support I place no blame on anyone here - especially the folks here helping us. I do use radius, and it is marked as beta. Perhaps it is my fault after all.

With all that said - there is truth in the saying a happy wife leads to a happy life. Thankfully I have a legacy AP that keeps things and people going. 

Kudos: 4

drapper39 wrote:

I suspect Ubiquiti's engineering team considers these reports ancedotal and/or related to beta features therefore it's not a priority.

This is not a beta firmware as far as I am aware? Nor is not blocking DHCP traffic a beta feature. It could very easily be a poor implementation of a beta feature that has caused the issue - but that shouldn't affect production firmware.

There isn't really anything anecdotal about these reports either - this is not simply personal retellings of issues - this is (very easily) reproducable blocking of DHCP traffic. Users have provided data that has been requested to evidence the fault, and company engineers could easily reproduce the issue should they desire from the information that has been provided.

I think it more comes down to the time of the year. The firmware was rushed out - untested, there's nobody available or willing to handle the fault reports, and so we find ourselvs here - discussing it as a (disgruntled) community - with occasional input from Ubiquiti staff.

The key for me is preventing other people rolling out this firmware update and shutting down their networks because of it. A proactive QA team should have already pulled the firmware.

Kudos: 1

troykelly2 wrote:

....... A proactive QA team should have already pulled the firmware.

^^^^  This ^^^^

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 4

@drapper39 @troykelly2 @salsaman06

Please check if any rouge DHCP server event on controller, and also provide your "BACKUP" and "SUPPORT INFO" files (SETTINGS --> Maintance)

screenshot-127.0.0.1 8443-2017-12-27-14-26-45.png

@UBNT-AngusL Are you not able to replicate this, and that's why you are asking for the backup and support info files?

No rogue DHCP servers here.

We are experiencing the same problem. Had to roll back to 3.9.6.7613.

Running "UniFi Switch 24" as a core switch and then 8 x UniFi Switch 8 POE-60W.

Did upgrade 7 out of 8  "UniFi Switch 8" last week, to 3.9.15.8011, without anybody reporting any problems.

Last night we updated the "core" switch (and the last  "UniFi Switch 8" , and today was the first day we got the DHCP problem.

UBNTAngusL,

Unfortunately, company policy prevents me from passing on such files that we can't remove or change sensitive configuraiton data. I am happy to help wherever I can by providing answers that don't contain any sensitive data. And I may be able to test a few things in our lab.  Our lab is very tiny - laughable really. But it gets the job done where we need it.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 23
Solutions: 11

This weekend I was trying to reproduce this problem. Unfortunately without success. Although I have DHCP guarding enabled, I did get IP addresses. (Yes, a happy wife)

There is a difference in setup. I do have a 16-150 in the core and non unifi switches in different rooms.

So, I do not have the 24-250 and certainly not the 8-60.

I do see in the previous posts that this happens when a combination of unifi switches is used. (espessially the 8-60)

@UBNT-AngusL 

Using: UAP-AC-PRO's, UAP-AC-M, Controller on Pi3, HP2530-8 PoE gigabitswitch. USW-16-150W, PoE powered US-8's.
Cisco & HP certified: CCNA CCNP HP ASE.

This isn't the configuration that causes the issue.
Nobody having reported the issue has DHCP Guarding Enabled. Perhaps test again with DHCP guarding disabled.

I submitted support and backup data

Actually I have DHCP Guarding enabled.  Always have. But it was certainly something I disabled when troubleshooting trying to get this all working again and it made no difference.

[ Edited ]

Just want to say i'm having the same issue and my setup is pretty basic.

AP -> USW24 -> USG

All running latest available firmware 3.9.15.8011 for AP and USW and 4.4 for USG.

Using native vlan for main network and passing a few vlans in there too but my issue is with all of them so i'm focusing on the main network.

USG is my DHCP server. I have been sniffing my switch and running captures on all the devices.

When my client (phone/laptop/smart tv) tries to get an IP I see DHCP Discover packets all the way to the USG. From the USG I can see that the USG sends a DHCP Offer but that same packet is nowhere to be found on the switch or AP. Eventually it will work.. most of the time after 30 minutes.

I did not have this issue before upgrading to the latest firmware. I will downgrade today and monitor if i'm still having the issue but i'm willing to bet it will be fine. i'll edit this post to update.

So add me to the list of reported cases.

[ Edited ]

Having the same issue with DHCP

USG Pro Firewalls

USG 500w 48 Port Switches

Unifi APs

Guest Network DHCP handled by Unif Controller (these are all VLAN)

LAN (Corporate Network no VLAN) DHCP handled by Windows Server (2008)

Had no issues before update with Corporate Wireless getting IP addresses from the Windows server. There are plenty of addresses available.

I should add as a troubleshooting step I dedicated 1 WAP to Corporate WiFi only and changed the Switch Port to LAN only and no joy.

I checked DHCP logs and only wired requests are coming through. No request from WiFi Mac addresses.

dhcp.png

Kudos: 24
Solutions: 1

This may be totally unrelated, but maybe worth asking.  Do you all have the checkbox enabled to block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data?  I ask because I had a new IoT device that would not get an IP until I unchecked this box.  I have it unchecked now for all 4 of my SSIDs.  I have not had any additional DHCP failures on any of my wired or wireless clients.

USG 4.4.12.5032482

Unifi Switch 24 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-M 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-Pro 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-LR 3.9.15.8011

Settings - Wireless Networks - Edit [SSID], then under Advanced Options:

Multicast and Broadcast Filtering: Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.

Just checked mine and the option is unchecked so probably not related.

digitalgarrett wrote:

This may be totally unrelated, but maybe worth asking.  Do you all have the checkbox enabled to block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data?  I ask because I had a new IoT device that would not get an IP until I unchecked this box.  I have it unchecked now for all 4 of my SSIDs.  I have not had any additional DHCP failures on any of my wired or wireless clients.

USG 4.4.12.5032482

Unifi Switch 24 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-M 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-Pro 3.9.15.8011

UAP-AP-LR 3.9.15.8011

Settings - Wireless Networks - Edit [SSID], then under Advanced Options:

Multicast and Broadcast Filtering: Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data.

I just unchecked this on my Corporate Wireless settings and it seems to have worked but I will not confirm until Wednsday when we are back from the Holidays.

This is not a multicast WLAN issue.

DHCP responses are being blocked by the switches.

Kudos: 46
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

fwiw i had been put off upgrading by this thread, i got bored today and upgraded both the 8 POE-150W Switch and our AP-AC-LR's, and the sky did not fall.....

Our setup is

ISP NBN Modem > USG > Lan 1 > 8 POE-150W Switch > AP-AC-LR's

> Lan 2 > 8 POE-150W Switch > AP-AC-LR's

No fancy network/firewall rules or edits and Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data enabled....

Rebooted eveyrthing after upgrade

[ Edited ]

you are seeing two way DHCP traffic? Or do you just have a long DHCP lease time - and your devices are failing back to their previously received address?