Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

Any chance of a fanless PoE switch with more than 8 ports?

[ Edited ]

I would love to buy a UniFi switch. But I need more than 8 ports and I need it to be completely silent. Not low-noise. But silent. Do the 16-port switches really generate so much heat that fans are needed? Is there any hope for such a product in the future?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 5

Re: Any chance of a fanless PoE switch with more than 8 ports?

I have a UniFi 16 port PoE switch with 10 PoE ports in use (7 IP cameras, 3 UniFi APs) and it is consuming 44 W. I have never heard the fans come on. Another 5 ports are used for non-PoE. I was hesitant at first, but others on the forum indicated that the fans didn't come on, so I took the jump. So far so good. I also have a 24 port non-PoE with 17 our of 24 ports in use and haven't heard the fans on it either.

Emerging Member

Thanks for your input. While that is encouraging, I don't think I will take the jump. If it has a fan, there is a chance that it will start at some point. Maybe when it gets hotter in the room. Maybe when the switch gets older. Maybe if a firmware upgrade changes something in the temperature thresholds.  I am extremely noise sensitive. So it's not worth the risk for me.

Established Member
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 82

The UniFi Switch 8 150W plus two of these get you ten copper ports.  How many ports do you need?

Cain Tech Solutions | Hosted UniFi/UNMS | Other Services | Serving Eastern NC and more!

Emerging Member

Right now I'm using 10 of the 16 ports of my current switch (LINKSYS LGS116P). So I guess that is a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion.

SuperUser
Kudos: 11475
Solutions: 701
Contributions: 1

[ Edited ]

We're back to the "Laws of Physics" problem - PoE switches have to provide a lot of power, and "lot of power" means it generated heat.   Passive cooling only goes so far - convection cooling doesn't get rid of heat fast enough to cool compact devices.   And as soon as you get to more than a few PoE ports you are beyond what passive cooling can do.   There's no easy way around this barring making the unit much bigger so it can have big heat sinks.

The other issue is how much throughput do you need?   If your setup requires full Gb from/to any port, then chaining devices will cause a bottleneck.   So you need to take that into account as well.   If that's not an issue then you could use two of the US-8 150s and use the SFP ports to connect them together.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"Sorry but I just don't have a fix for willful ignorance, unless you count time and Darwin.... "
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 1

I like really quiet kit but am happy to change fans or provide external cooling to keep the noise down. The trouble with the US-16-150W is that if the fans become an issue then I beleive they're 30mm and that's hard to do anything about unlike 40mm+.

For this reason I went with 2 x US-8-150W linked by the 2 SFP ports to reduce the bottleneck.  However I still have them in a cabinet with 4 x 120mm fans pushing air through and due to the large size and slow speed they're extremely quiet.  The temps on on the two switches stay betwen 48 and 51 even though the cupboard they're in is 30+ degrees.

What I would like to see from Ubiquiti as they design new kit:

1) 40mm or larger high quality long life fans (sadly for 1U the former is the only option with side/rear cooling).

2) Variable speed rather than on/off or stepped (not 100% sure but I think the US-16-150W and larger non PoE are not variable at present).

Kudos: 4

Laws of Physics should be really taken into consideration. The heat needs to be dissipated with a proper larger size alu heatsink. Fanless computing is a complete industry by now, check out zotac C series. I have been using these zotac fanless computers in the southern heat in constant 90F, never ever had an issue. I run Unifi controller and UNMS on these.

Instead of using two 8 port fanless switch, we would really need a 16 port fanless POE.

Ubiquiti will not gain anything if they dont manufacture 16 port fanless POE simply because 100% of the installations just buy two cheapo  8 port Tplink POE instead of using Ubiquiti hardware.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5953
Solutions: 360

@lesswire wrote:

Laws of Physics should be really taken into consideration. The heat needs to be dissipated with a proper larger size alu heatsink. Fanless computing is a complete industry by now, check out zotac C series. I have been using these zotac fanless computers in the southern heat in constant 90F, never ever had an issue. I run Unifi controller and UNMS on these.

Those PCs also use a small fraction of the power of a rackmount PoE switch. They aren't bending the laws of physics somehow and we aren't ignoring them. PCs also don't get put in a rack tight up against other equipment that's usually warm to hot, so have external heat dissipating into them and can't ventilate through their case. 

in my installation case, these Zotac fanless boxes also running HIkvision software NVR which is maxing out the CPU load 90-100% depending how many cameras in use and still they can cope  with the heat dissipation. OK, these boxes are in the 40-65watt power range, you are right.

Kudos: 1

Same for me: I had a very noisy PoE Netgear switch and I couldn't stand anymore the fan's 48db noise. I replaced it with a Unifi 16 150W, I have 8 IP cameras connected with PoE+ and the 2 fans don't come on. Very satisfied.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 30

What confuses me is why the non-POE models need fans, like the US-24 and US-48... when TP-Link are able to make a 24x1GB plus 4xSFP+ completely fanless switch.

Does Ubiquiti intend to release a fanless (but managed) switch w/o POE?

If so, then with how many ports and when?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 902
Solutions: 27

if you don't mind voiding the warranty open it up and install your own water cooling system

Kudos: 2

回复: Any chance of a fanless PoE switch with more than 8 ports?

[ Edited ]

CISCO Catalyst 2960L, 24PoE 4SFP+ Fanless, But no layer 3 routing or layer 3 switching Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) between VLANs, Only static route you can set to native VLAN.

C2960L-24PS-LL , 24PoE 4SFP Fanless, about $470

C2960L-24PQ-LL, 24PoE 4SFP+ Fanless, about $580

Price is acceptable, compare to the build qulity and brand to UBNT.

Fanless is awsome in OFFICE/HOME.

I am looking for Layer 3 switching PoE Switch with 24 Gigaports + at least 2 SFP+(10G) ports. Any recommendation?

Cisco only have 12port PoE for Layer 3 switch C3560-CX, but very pricey.

Kudos: 1

[ Edited ]

BV-Tech 18 Ports PoE/PoE+ Switch (16 PoE+ Ports | 2 Gigabit Ethernet uplink) - 19" Rackmount - 130W - 802.3af/at

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQHD54L/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this device in MULTIPLE locations (office, retail store, home) and it has worked perfectly for the past 2 years. No hiccups, no issues, NO noise. It powers 12+ POE IP-cameras just fine for me. Only other brand I could find that had this many ports was Zyxel, and it died within 2 days. The name-brand guys don't seem to make anything with this many ports... So far I got 3 of these BV-Techs and they all work perfectly. Highly recommend.

Also for the price - it's MUCh better than the Cisco and other alternatives! For the purposes of just a purely POE unmanaged switch, the price can't be beat.

thanks mate, its a shame that the big and strong Ubnt incapable making these.. Most of us will use the one you recommended

Kudos: 1498
Solutions: 83

Kudos: 2

Is that BV switch fanless? Fan seems installed from amazon picture.

回复: Any chance of a fanless PoE switch with more than 8 ports?

I like the Juniper EX2300-24P for this. Juniper also makes a really nice 12P fanless. I think its the Juniper EX2300-C-12P. Both of them are L3 switches. I have used them for core switches in small shops, ok, really small shops.