Emerging Member
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 6

Any plans for Unifi Switches to support MAC-based VLAN assignment, as in EdgeSwitch 1.7.0?

Apparently MAC-based VLAN assignment became available in firmware 1.7.0 for the EdgeSwitch line. 

Any news about whether or not that's headed for the Unifi Switch line? It would be great, even if it were only accessible via the CLI or a config file.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 45
Solutions: 6

Re: Any plans for Unifi Switches to support MAC-based VLAN assignment, as in EdgeSwitch 1.7.0?

So I messed around a bit more with this, based on the EdgeSwitch CLI reference, and it seems like a no.

After ssh'ing into the switch:

US.v3.7.29# telnet localhost 2222                                                                                       

Warning!                                                                                                                
The changes may break controller settings and only be effective until reboot.                                           
(UBNT) >enable                                                                                                          
enable                                                                                                                  

(UBNT) #vlan database                                                                                                   
vlan database                                                                                                           

(UBNT) (Vlan)#vlan associate mac xxxxxxxxxxxx 200                                                                       
vlan associate mac xxxxxxxxxxxx 200                                                                                     
                             ^                                                                                          
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.                                                                   

[Obviously, I used a real MAC address in the command]

So I guess this feature does not exist on Unifi firmware (version 3.7.29.5446), at least not yet.

@UBNT-cmb or anybody else at UBNT able to cast any light on whether MAC-based VLAN assignment is eventually coming to the Unifi line?

Kudos: 1020
Solutions: 83

Re: Any plans for Unifi Switches to support MAC-based VLAN assignment, as in EdgeSwitch 1.7.0?

@UBNT-cmb do you have any news for us?

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

Established Member
Kudos: 493
Solutions: 50

Yeah perhaps upgrade to latest beta switch FW and try again. Icon Idea

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4944
Solutions: 338

3.8.11 is the first release firmware for USW that's up to ES 1.7.x (it's 1.7.1). 

and on it... 

(UBNT) (Vlan)#vlan association mac ?

<macaddr>                Enter 6 byte MAC Address.

so we're much closer to being able to implement that. 

There is an open feature request, add a kudo if it's of interest. 

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching-Feature/Switch-MAC-based-VLAN-tagging/idi-p/80...

Kudos: 1020
Solutions: 83

@UBNT-cmb Will we be able to use MAC "wildcards" somehow? Eg MAC starting with "00cafe" will all be assigned to VLAN 5?

I'm not talking about advanced wildcards or even regex. Just the ability to specify first parts of a MAC (eg first three bytes for OUI) would help.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos to the people who have helped you out!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

LLDP-MED has been "coming soon" for what feels like months/years now. It's available in Edgeswitch just not Unifi.

This is a standard feature on pretty much every modern managed switch (Even Netgear) and is vital for VoIP deployments

Any news on when it's actually going to surface? Man Happy 

Established Member
Kudos: 493
Solutions: 50

[ Edited ]

LLDP-MED is actually available in 5.6.x. Plus no idea why are you hijacking this thread with completely OT stuff.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 7
Solutions: 1

My point was that VLAN configuration options are severely lacking on Unifi switches, and LLDP-MED (Like MAC Based VLAN assignment, Voice VLAN etc) is one of the key features that you'd expect to find on any "Powerful Enterprise Switch"

LLDP-MED did appear in a previous beta/testing release and then disappeared, LLDP-MED was meant to be available in v5.5 - I won't be updating my production servers to beta software, so hopefully it makes the stable release soon Man Happy 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 4944
Solutions: 338

crossovercable wrote:

LLDP-MED did appear in a previous beta/testing release and then disappeared, LLDP-MED was meant to be available in v5.5

It never appeared and disappeared. It just missed the feature freeze for 5.5.x, so was first introduced in 5.6.x, where it's been for a while. That goes to stable this month. 

Kudos: 3

So if i use this switch (https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8/) and the unifi controller i can use mac based vlan?

Kudos: 3

Hi,

Is mac based vlans already implemented in controller version 5.6.29? Or only in the beta 5.7.x??

Thanks