Emerging Member
Kudos: 4

Basic Wifi Networking Question

Hi guys!

I have an existing network ;

Unif AP -> Netgear router -> LiteBeam M5 -> ISP

I'm wondering if my Litebeam is correctly configured. It's set up in Station & Router mode. 

ISP assigns IP by DHCP. Litebeam is set up on WAN to get DHCP and uses DHCP on LAN to assign an IP that is then presented to the WAN port on the router. 

This means effectively I have two routers which seems more complicated then it may need to be. Is there any way to configure the LiteBeam to just pass the IP it gets from the ISP down to the WAN port?

The reason I ask is I am going to be replacing the Netgear router with a USG so if there's a better way I'd like to implement it. For instance, I'm wondering if Bridge mode on the Litebeam is what I'm after?

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

Re: Basic Wifi Networking Question

Yes bridge mode on the Litebeam. It will reduce the litebeam to a single ip address for management login only. Otherwise, it will pass the wan ip through to the Netgear (for lan dhcp etc) as you are looking for. Basically, the litebeam will become a simple converter for your isp's radio signal to ethernet, with no network or router functions, as it won't need them, because the Netgear router does the work from there. Later, you'll just substitute the USG for the Netgear as you mentioned. I have the same setup with a cable modem. One thing though, make sure you note the single ip address with confirmed credentials so you can get back into the litebeam to make changes etc as needed. It may revert back to 192.168.1.20 if I'm not mistaken.
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Excellent. I thought I had it way more complicated then it needed to be. I was wondering about the management IP. To clarify, the management IP I will use will be the IP that the ISP assigns the wireless link?

Interesting...there is a management VLAN checkbox that appears when I switch it to bridge mode. This makes me wonder if the 192.168.1.20 management IP would still be usable even if the IP from the ISP is 10.x.x.x

Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

As I recall, once in bridge mode, (scroll down) you'll want to set the management ip to "static" (if that option is there) and put whatever is easiest for you to remember. Ex: 192.168.1.20 and subnet 255.255.255.0. This is separate from the wan ip which is determined by your isp. Hope I'm helping cuz I'm going from recollection as best I can heh.

Emerging Member

No problem. I will do it tomorrow (it's late here now) just in case I blow it all up. One last question, I was spoofing the IP address on the Wireless LAN so that it used the same MAC address as my cellphone. If it's bridged would I have to spoof the IP on the WAN port of the router?

Emerging Member

Interesting.... I tried it anyway and it did not work. 

With the LiteBeam in bridge mode and the WAN port on the router in DHCP it did nothing. As well, the default management IP was not accessible. Pings to the sites on the 'net failed etc.

I did a backup before trying so I hard reset it and restored. All of 5 minutes. But it does make me curious, why the failure?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1181
Solutions: 196

[ Edited ]

Not enabling WDS can cause DHCP issues. However, given that the original config is a routed PtMP setup (you are not the only customer on this link, are you) it is clear that the other side does not have WDS enabled.

So test with a static IP, identical to what you recevied through DHCP before. It may not be the permanent solution, however.

BTW, your topic is an airMax topic whereas this here is the UniFi forum area.

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

WDS, on my side, is enabled. There are other customers on this link although not many at this time. 

Interesting...when I select Bridge Mode in the LiteBeam M5 there is no option to set an IP address except for the management IP.

So...I went into the WAN port on the router (USG) and set it to use the IP addressing information from the ISP. Same thing - no access.

Veteran Member

Then disable WDS.

Highlighted
Emerging Member

No dice. Are there any FAQ's from Ubuiquit outlining how to use Bridge mode from an ISP ?

It seems to me it should be working...and I must be missing something

Veteran Member

It really depends on how your ISP has set up the network. Since this is supposed to be a routed config WDS cannot work.

Your best bet is to talk to the ISP. Likely they will not want you to be bridged, but who knows if they have an alternative for you.