Block gaming with USG / ER?

Hi Guys,

I deployed a lot of UAP AC PRO's but never looked at the firewall/router options. I have got the question of a home user to block games after 10 o'clock and to improve WiFi in his landhouse(s).They have 3 'houses' in the mainhouse there is cabled network available, So I was thinking AC PRO's + PoE switch. The other houses within 5 meters of each other, but no cabling. How would I achieve good wifi their ? Meshing? Will it be compatible with UAC PRO?

Then to block access to games time based, I can't get my head around the difference between edgerouter and USG.. Can I get some help here? Man Wink

GUI would be nice as I don't have much experience with CLI based config in Unifi. Also the end customer wants to be able to adjust/enable/disable the rules in school vacations etc?

Thanks in advance

Kudos: 44
Solutions: 19

Re: Block gaming with USG / ER?

You can create a specific SSID for the gaming devices, then turn the SSID off at your desired time. This will disconnect the devices from internet

Hi,

This is not really fool proof, this will stop the SSID from broadcasting, but if they plugin a cable, or read out the password of anohter active SSID they can just go on and play.

Rather have some firewall rule in place to achieve this ^^

you can set up the guest network control, use a "simple password" and have the gaming devices jump on that.  then through the hotspot manager  on you pc or through your phones unifi app you can individually allows and deny internet access to devices connected to your guest network

Established Member
Kudos: 301
Solutions: 78

@jminnebo wrote:
Hi,

This is not really fool proof, this will stop the SSID from broadcasting, but if they plugin a cable, or read out the password of anohter active SSID they can just go on and play.

Rather have some firewall rule in place to achieve this ^^

If there is a cable running to the gaming system, at the "home" end, put in a cheap switch, attach that switch to a smart power switch like a Wemo, then put that smart power switch on a schedule. Problem solved.

My parents addressed this a totally different way. Man Happy

Kudos: 34
Solutions: 7

Something to look at, USG for your router to give you the full GUI experience. I use and like the Edgerouter lite, but I did have to use CLI to configure some of my settings. 

For your gaming issue, I created a vlan for all my kids gear (so wired and wireless) with it's own SSID. Then I installed a Circle by Disney on a switch port in that VLAN. It discovers all devices in the VLAN and give you the ability to set rules on a per device basis. As for getting the password to another SSID, do a better job securing your passwords. If the kids can figure it out, then so can others..

Hi,

it is for a home use, but when you type in "netsh wlan show profiles" you get all the passwords for every profile, you don't have to be a genius for that Man Tongue 

I'm going to have a look at that circle device!

On what device are you issuing that command??

[ Edited ]

Ah I see it's a windows command, should have guessed....

If they are so worried about their kids figuring out passwords then lock down the devices so they don't have admin rights (I don't use windows so I am guessing you can do this like you can on Mac/Linux). If they are leaving devices with that info easy to access, then this whole discusion is a waste, as they could just get the circle info as well and go around the blocking. Can't fix this all with technology. For me, yes I use the circle, to give me some addtional control. My primary control, lock down my devices, keep my admin passwds a secret.

If you're going to look into a manual way of doing things, you can always block the gaming device at 10 so it can't get any internet (wired or wireless).

If your kids are smart enough to figure out other WiFi passwords or plug in directly, then I'm pretty sure they'll be smart enough to do a hot spot and keep gaming even if you disable the WiFi for their device

[ Edited ]

@jminnebo wrote:

Hi,

it is for a home use, but when you type in "netsh wlan show profiles" you get all the passwords for every profile, you don't have to be a genius for that Man Tongue 

I'm going to have a look at that circle device!

I just ran this command in Win10 and it shows the SSID, but not the password. Even running "netsh wlan show all", still no passwords

I know!

I'll propose him a full Unify solution with that cicle by Disney thing as backup, If I can't figure it out with firewall rules, I can still achieve it with the Disney thing Man Happy

Thanks for the feedback all

netsh wlan show profile WiFi-name key=clear

I haven't looked into the scripting side of things much, but I wonder if there's a script that can block the device at a certain time, then unblock it at another time

@jminnebo wrote:

netsh wlan show profile WiFi-name key=clear

I guess because I'm hardwired it's not showing me the pass, but it's still not working for me even though my computer has been on the WiFi. it only shows the WiFi SSID.

https://www.amazon.com/Circle-Disney-Parental-Controls-Connected/dp/B019RC1EI8

The Disney thing is on sale on amazon if you're going to go that route.