Reply
New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-14-2016

Bug: USG3 randomly dropping WAN. Workaround: disable the Uplink Connectivity Monitor & Speed Test

[ Edited ]

tl;dr: Disable Settings -> Site -> Services -> Uplink Connectivity Monitor & Speed Test because there's a bug(?) in the hostnames being used.

 

I just finished updating everything to the latest software/firmware versions last weekend, including my USG & Controller. After many upgrades, reboots, and such, everything was up-to-date and happy...until I lost internet connectivity.

 

I eventually figured out that restarting my cable modem would restore internet connectivity for a few hours, and then I would lose internet connectivity again. My devices were still all connected to my local network with valid IPs, etc. I had to keep restarting the cable modem to restore internet access for my local network.

 

Whenever I lost internet connectivity, the WAN values would be empty (no IP address, no DNS, etc) on the USG. When I logged directly into the USG, it would have the "no internet access" banner across the top, and clicking the refresh button or restarting the USG would not restore internet access.

 

Eventually I looked at the USG logs (/var/log/messages) and found the following questionable entries:

 

Oct 24 16:32:40 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 16:34:42 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 16:50:35 ubnt mcad: mca-edgemax.edgemax_stats_routes(): parsing response failed(-1)
Oct 24 16:55:32 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 16:56:14 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 17:17:19 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 17:18:02 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 17:35:49 ubnt mcad: mca-edgemax.edgemax_stats_routes(): parsing response failed(-1)
Oct 24 17:38:45 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 17:51:44 ubnt mcad: mca-edgemax.edgemax_stats_routes(): parsing response failed(-1)
Oct 24 17:59:45 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 18:20:43 ubnt linkcheck: speedtest.getBestServer(): no such host sea.host.speedtest.net:8080#012
Oct 24 18:23:23 ubnt syswrapper: kill-linkcheck. reason: linkcheck not updating
Oct 24 18:23:26 ubnt wlb: wlb-wan_failover-eth0 wlb-wan_failover-eth0 reachability failed, failover
Oct 24 18:23:26 ubnt wlb: group wan_failover, interface eth0 going Inactive

I then disabled the Uplink Connectivity Monitor & Speed Test under Settings -> Site -> Services:

 

Uplink Connectivity    [ ] Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink
Monitor

Speed Test             [ ] Enable periodic speed test

And now my USG has been stable and successfully providing internet access for the last ~4 days after previously losing internet connectively every couple of hours.

 

My current firmway/software versions:

 

 

Model	UniFi Security Gateway 3P
Version	4.4.29.5124210

CONTROLLER VERSION
UI           5.9.29.0
Backend      5.9.29
Build        atag_5.9.29_11384

CLOUD KEY FIRMWARE
Current Version  UCK.mtk7623.v0.12.0.29a26c9.181001.1444

CLOUD KEY CONTROLLER
Current Version  5.9.29-11384-1

 

 

Reply