Kudos: 2

Building network at home

Hi! 

So I'm currently upgrading my network at home but I'm a little confused on ubiquiti products so i would like some help.

I currently have:

1x ubiquiti UniFi Switch 8-60w

2x ubiquiti UniFi ap ac lite

And now I'm looking for a new router. So I looked at the edge and the usg. Witch should I choose? Dose both work with current switch and ap?

Can I configurate my network with any of those without the pc or do I need a UniFi cloud key for that?

And if Im in the future want to include ubiquiti security camera is there something that is better then the other? I think I saw that cloud key 1 don't support cameras but gen 2 dose I'm i right? 

Established Member
Kudos: 328
Solutions: 26

Re: Building network at home

[ Edited ]

Hi @D3nn05 - welcome to the community

And now I'm looking for a new router. So I looked at the edge and the usg. Witch should I choose? Dose both work with current switch and ap?

Depends what you want, the USG offers nice benefits such as easy VPN config, DPI stats in the controller and IPS Alerts for security.

I know everyone says the EdgeRouter offers more advanced features but for a standard home install, the USG is much easier to get up and running (in my opinion).

And yes, both any EdgeRouter works with the switch and AP. One thing to note, if you did need VLANs going forward, it is possible on both, just a little easier if you have an USG.

Can I configurate my network with any of those without the pc or do I need a UniFi cloud key for that?

If you are looking to 'set and forget' you can get away with not using the Cloud Key and setting everything up on a PC. The only downside is not being able to view stats, as the Cloud Key logs data 24/7 and you won't have remote access, which is kinda nice.

Also, if you do go for the USG to have the nice DPI stats and IPS alerts won't show up as these require a controller to be running.

And if Im in the future want to include ubiquiti security camera is there something that is better then the other? I think I saw that cloud key 1 don't support cameras but gen 2 dose I'm i right?

So UniFi Protect has been out for a while now and is fairly stable, now the Gen2 Cloud Key is out, I would personally advise against the Gen1 plastic Cloud Key, simply because it crashes so much.

The CloudKey G2 an the G2 Plus are pretty closely priced and the Gen2 Plus runs UniFi SDN and UniFi Protect.

---

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything else Man Happy

USG-3P | US-8-60W | US-8-150W | UAP-AC-Lite (2) | UAP-AC-Pro | UAP-AC-Mesh | UAP-AC-In Wall | UCK-Gen2-Plus | UVC-G3-AF (5) | UVC-G3-Pro | NBE-5AC-16 | NBE-5AC-19
Emerging Member
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 7

I agree with everything thus far said.

I might add though that if like me you have at least one pc running at all times, you can setup the win/linux/ and lilely mac versions to run as a service. so whenever the pc is awake, it is collecting data.

If you actually have a server in the system, this would be the obvious choice.

I have run my network both ways and both have pros...and cons. 

And it is only a 5 minute task to restore a backup from any install method to any other so you loss nothing starting without a 
CK even if you intend to move that direction in the future.

Eric

Established Member

Ah didn't think of that Eric, cheers for adding Man Happy
USG-3P | US-8-60W | US-8-150W | UAP-AC-Lite (2) | UAP-AC-Pro | UAP-AC-Mesh | UAP-AC-In Wall | UCK-Gen2-Plus | UVC-G3-AF (5) | UVC-G3-Pro | NBE-5AC-16 | NBE-5AC-19

Thanks both of you for your answers!

Right now I don't have a plan for a server since I don't really know what to use it for. But I have computers laying around so I could use it temporarily.

Feels like the USG and CK gen2 plus it the way to go for me. Will order one USG soon the save for CK, these things are expensive! But I guess you get what you pay forIcon Smile

How stable are the cameras? And how is the quality? Is there any req on net speed or something? And dose it have motion sensor so it start recording when it se movement and send alerts to app? 

Thx for answers 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 22

As for the server: The controller does not need much in terms of CPU and RAM, so even a RasPi is fine. Many do it like this and you can find plenty of information, including at least one complete guide how to set it up from scratch.

That would also work temporarily until I get security cameras (if I get it). Thanks 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@D3nn05 wrote:

Thanks both of you for your answers!

Right now I don't have a plan for a server since I don't really know what to use it for. But I have computers laying around so I could use it temporarily.

Feels like the USG and CK gen2 plus it the way to go for me. Will order one USG soon the save for CK, these things are expensive! But I guess you get what you pay forIcon Smile

How stable are the cameras? And how is the quality? Is there any req on net speed or something? And dose it have motion sensor so it start recording when it se movement and send alerts to app? 

Thx for answers 

Cameras are stable since UniFi Protect issues have been sorted out. UniFi Protect was a bit unstable last year once it was launched.

Quality is good, G3 standard are good, but obviously the G3 Pro is excellent in day and night.

Motion alerts, it has customisable motion alerts and the app can send push notifications and or emails.

Kudos: 1

Do you have a NAS? I run this on my QNAP and its perfect.

Is the pro version really worth the dubble price?

And how is the G3 micro and G3 flex?

Maybe go with flex inside and regular G3 outside? Or is the difference huge?

No I don't have a Nas. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 22

You mean USG3 and USG4 Pro?

I would argue yes, it's worth it. But only if you (choose at least one):

- need a rack mounted gateway

- need IPS/IDS for > 100MBit (dont know the actual number, but the USG 4 Pro used to be capped at ~250MBit)

- need an SFP port

- need a second (failover) WAN port (maybe you can configre the spare port of the USG3 as well, but i never did this myself)

Apart from this the USG 3 does the job equally well. Both are a bit outdated as well.

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

@togstown wrote:

- need IPS/IDS for > 100MBit (dont know the actual number, but the USG 4 Pro used to be capped at ~250MBit)

It isn't a cap. It's an estimated performance metric. Many have reported much better performance than what is listed in the controller, especially under the new firmware.

[ Edited ]

Hi! I should been more specific! I meant the camera in my last question (G3 Pro, G3, G3 flex and G3 micro) if there is huge difference in quality and stability and such. 

I'm upgrading my network and looking at security 🙂

But thanks for the info about the bigger USG, think that is overkill in my home network tho😉

Highlighted
Established Member

@togstown - regarding the USG-3P failover, the second port works fine as a second WAN, I have a 4G system on to cut in when my ADSL line dips now and again.

I got the G3 Pro to replace a standard G3, not a massive difference but a big enough one to now read licence plates