Kudos: 1

Re: Checking on the basics...

This is all pretty fantastic guidance.

I’m not a complete neophyte. Like I said, for years I’ve deployed AEBS networks in high-activity environments. The roaming is incredible. I don’t know why. Literally zero problems ever but they’re otherwise unremarkable “consumer” products. I’ve also deployed Asus WAPs and had good results. Some other products I’ve hated. I just don’t get why the existing Cisco WiFi is so awful. I’ve tweaked and goofed as much as I can. Nothing. 

Maybr I’ll as a more pointed question. What tech in the Ubiquiti is different/improved/optimized that will give me a different result. Why specifically are my peers recommending these products? I’m down to try. But maybe I need some more insights on what Ubiquiti offers different from others that will give me the roaming performance I need. 

Highlighted

This is ann great stuff, folks. Thanks so much for the insights so far. I appreciate good community support. 

Kudos: 173
Solutions: 67

@phospholipid wrote:

Maybr I’ll as a more pointed question. What tech in the Ubiquiti is different/improved/optimized that will give me a different result. Why specifically are my peers recommending these products? I’m down to try. But maybe I need some more insights on what Ubiquiti offers different from others that will give me the roaming performance I need. 

Go check out the wireless forums, they are a lot more into the nitty-gritty of why UniFI wireless. For me, its high-quality radios, with good speed, extremely good prices, no annual/ongoing maintenance costs, and good, regularly updated management software.  

I will. Your reasons are good for me though. I’m also reading some dude’s website and he does get into the nitty gritty in really simple terms. He actually recommends the AmpliFi above the UniFi. I’ll read his notes thoroughly and then maybe head over to the wireless forums if I want to sharpen my thoughts. https://michaelkummer.com/tag/amplifi/

Thanks again!

Kudos: 63
Solutions: 20

[ Edited ]

Just remember that AmpliFi is a home/SOHO mesh solution where you plug in APs into power outlets, and these APs connect back to the main AP wirelessly. UniFI APs are really commercial grade APs made to be hard wired into your network. They are apples and oranges in that AmpliFi is intended for home users and business users in small offices who don't really understand networking, UniFi is intended for computer "experts" who know how to set up complex networks and know how to tune access points, not to mention knowing how to use WiFi analyzers and heat maps. 

I would not trade my UniFi setup for an AmpliFi, but don't get me wrong, I've recommended AmpliFi to many a person and they've all been happy with it.

For the most part, UniFi APs aren't good for home users because they require hard wiring into the ceiling or walls for the most part, not including the UniFi-M line.

That’s exactly what I’m gathering as I read that guy’s article. 

Kudos: 242
Solutions: 23

@phospholipid wrote:

I will. Your reasons are good for me though. I’m also reading some dude’s website and he does get into the nitty gritty in really simple terms. He actually recommends the AmpliFi above the UniFi. I’ll read his notes thoroughly and then maybe head over to the wireless forums if I want to sharpen my thoughts. https://michaelkummer.com/tag/amplifi/

Thanks again!

Amplifi is a nice system for home users but for proper business use, run away screaming. 

That Michael Kummer guy really is "some dude". I've read the review and he doesn't actually compare Amplifi and Unifi. And he seems to think mesh is the be-all-and-end-all. It's not. It's a kludge to get around running cables. You have cables. It's like winning the WiFi lottery. 

Here is someone with genuine credibility talking about the Amplifi system;

Before he tested it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvb8Vis3YY

Then he actually tested it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMK0P2D9CaU

And then he tested it again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ICOKUG42c

And he definitely didn't replace his existing Unifi system with an Amplifi system. 

You have cables. It's like winning the WiFi lottery. 

Yep, it sure is. The worst part about moving was I had my whole house wired for everything. Now I have to start over at the new place. But so far I've run 4 cables in the attic, but about twice that many yet to go. It's around 100 here already, so getting in the attic any time soon isn't going to happen. Man Happy

Our home is 100 years old. First thing I did was drag CAT6 through the whole thing when I replaced the knob-and-tube. 

@phospholipid wrote:

Our home is 100 years old. First thing I did was drag CAT6 through the whole thing when I replaced the knob-and-tube. 

This one was built in the late 60s, but the last homeowners moved it to the back of the property and took it down to the studs only 5 years ago. They did some pretty cool unique texture, which keeps me from tearing walls out. The biggest challenge for me is the roof is standing seam steel and the outside walls are corrugated metal - think barn. The enclosed patio was the best place for my 2nd AP on the ceiling, but it has corrugated metal walls and ceiling. In the end, this is not the optimal house for wifi. Outside it goes almost no distance from the house, so I'll be putting a AP-AC-M-US on the same tripod used for the antenna used for my WISP internet access. Then my shop and wife's office is 100 yards away connected through two NanoBeams. It's kind of fun when you are an IT guy (especially now that I'm in audit and not in operations), but boy it has its challenges. 

But, yes this is somewhat on subject. I DID get in the attic and wire my AP-AC-PRO APs onto the ceiling. Yes it was hot, yes it sucks, but yes it was totally worth it. Never do I wish I had done mesh networking.