Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Chromecast from a wired win10 pc not working

Starting to realise that Unify is great for WIFI but as a router/gateway it is useless

My $20 TP-Link router with WIFI let me Chromecast from my phones and wired PC without an issue - no BS setting up VLAN's etc and fluffing around with multiple settings. I dont see why it needs to be isolated to work. Surely a wired PC can find a Chromecast without this hassle. I cant find anyone who has this issue or an answer to configure it.

And dont get me started on the crap you have to have an IT degree in to connect to something like NordVPN - again it was a nobrainer on a $20 router

Surely there is an easy way to connect my pc to a chromecast

Tearing my hair out in frustration 

Accepted Solutions
Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 5

Re: Chromecast from a wired win10 pc not working

Ok, so yes, you have made things way to complex. Assuming you just want a flat network:

1. Decide which SSID is your actual Wifi network - I am going to assume it is KGBagent. If you go back to devices on top left, and click on your different AP - so they expand from right, you should be able to expand them and make sure they are defined for that network with proper SSID and password (see the gear icon for each one and scroll down to WLAN). 

2. Connect Chromecast to KGBagent wifi network, it should get ip address from LAN no chrome. All things should be connected to LAN or KGBagent (For wifi)

3. Delete your chromecast network - this appears to be the problem - you have it handing out its own ipaddress range and assigned to VLAN - basically isolating this one wifi network from everything else. 

All you need to do is (summarize) is setup the Router, assign a DHCP range, plug in the AP and setup SSID and security. This mimics what a cheap SOHO router can do - no VLAN configs, secondary networks and DHCP scopes needed. Anything that connects to the AP is on the same LAN as your Router and part of the same DHCP scope - all can talk to each other. In this ca

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 5291
Solutions: 1761

Settings, Wireless Networks, click the Edit pencil on your wireless network, Advanced Options, make sure "Multicast and Broadcast Filtering
Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data" is unchecked, then click Save at the bottom (if it was checked).
I did it my way .... Man Happy

Done that same issue - also setup a seperate vlan

Can ping the gw IP and the tv on chromecast but cant cast from Chrome or Youtube - no devices found

Anyone point me to a solution? PLEASE

Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

@ianlap wrote:

Starting to realise that Unify is great for WIFI but as a router/gateway it is useless

My $20 TP-Link router with WIFI let me Chromecast from my phones and wired PC without an issue - no BS setting up VLAN's etc and fluffing around with multiple settings. I dont see why it needs to be isolated to work. Surely a wired PC can find a Chromecast without this hassle. I cant find anyone who has this issue or an answer to configure it.

And dont get me started on the crap you have to have an IT degree in to connect to something like NordVPN - again it was a nobrainer on a $20 router

Surely there is an easy way to connect my pc to a chromecast

Tearing my hair out in frustration 

Did you setup VLANs? There is no requirement to do that with Unifi products - as a router, it works like any other - put it in, and devices on local LAN can connect to each other - the USG is a basic flat switch on the internal network. It looks just like any other brand of gateway when intially turned on - block all in, allow all out basically. 

What does your configuration look like? Most chromecast are setup to use wifi - you don't mention what is being used for wifi? 

Maybe take some time to explain your layout? I replaced a linksys router (with wifi) with A unifi AP and USG , and it just worked - nothing to configure and about 30 devices on network just connected and worked as did ISP modem. 

And these are the network setups

uni5.jpg
uni6.jpg
uni9.jpg
uni11.jpg
uni12.jpg

last one

ini10.jpg
Emerging Member

Ok, so yes, you have made things way to complex. Assuming you just want a flat network:

1. Decide which SSID is your actual Wifi network - I am going to assume it is KGBagent. If you go back to devices on top left, and click on your different AP - so they expand from right, you should be able to expand them and make sure they are defined for that network with proper SSID and password (see the gear icon for each one and scroll down to WLAN). 

2. Connect Chromecast to KGBagent wifi network, it should get ip address from LAN no chrome. All things should be connected to LAN or KGBagent (For wifi)

3. Delete your chromecast network - this appears to be the problem - you have it handing out its own ipaddress range and assigned to VLAN - basically isolating this one wifi network from everything else. 

All you need to do is (summarize) is setup the Router, assign a DHCP range, plug in the AP and setup SSID and security. This mimics what a cheap SOHO router can do - no VLAN configs, secondary networks and DHCP scopes needed. Anything that connects to the AP is on the same LAN as your Router and part of the same DHCP scope - all can talk to each other. In this ca

So I removed the VLAN and factory reset the Chromecast and setup again - now it is working 

cheers